Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI running condition

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:17 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default EFI running condition

Hello all, looking for some help: My '02 FLHRI w/ 95" kit [stage 1], S&S 510G cams and PC III usb suddenly runs so rich it fouls plugs, kills rear cylinder. Just got back from 1250 mile trip Fri, ran well all week [though it was running rich; thought it was the map in the PC not being dialed in properly], went to start it Sat after washing, won't run. Long story short, it is not plugs [put them in wife's Super Glide, that runs fine with my plugs], have good strong spark [by appearances, plug connected, held against head for ground, crank engine and observe spark]. Injector resistance seems good: 15.9 ohms [I'm a Benz mechanic, our injectors are around 15 ohms when good], injector wiring good [less than 1 ohm]. Throttle position sensor actual values can be viewed via PC III with laptop connected; compared actual values read from PC with homemade "gauge" [masking tape marked off for throttle position %]. This condition exists with PC connected and with PC disconnected [running only on bike's ECM]. I suspect a bad ECM, but wonder about the MAP sensor. Anyone know a reliable test for MAP sensor using a multi-meter? Heard stories from dealership techs about PC's ruining ECM's, anyone else know of this? Any suggestions on testing a MAP sensor or other tests would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:24 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: EFI running condition

A follow up: I took the ECM from my RK and plugged it into my wife's Dyna to see if it gave her bike the problem: it won't run at all, and after 3 start attempts the fuel pump quits running. Her bike does not have a security system; does the bike know it's got the wrong ECM in it somehow? Or does the ECM know it's in the wrong bike? Or are they different enough that the bike just won't run with the ECM from a different model in it? Plug the correct ECM back in on her bike, it runs fine, just like before.