Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023 | 04:45 PM
Onestumpguy
|
Novice

Originally Posted by hattitude
I see, since you mentioned all those changes after you mentioned the code, I thought you made them in response to the code.

It is possible doing that work you disturbed a wire/connector, between the CKP & ECM

For the code, focus specifically on the CKP, its connector, wires, and the ECM.......

FYI- The bike will crank and not start if the ECM is not getting the CKP signal. It uses that signal and then sends signals to the injectors and coil when they need to fire.

"CKP - (Crankshaft Position Sensor): Basically this sensor monitors the crankshaft speed and position. The ECM uses the inputs from the sensor to determine what stroke the engine is in so it can deliver the fuel and spark at the desired time..."
So you think the ECM is bad

Old 10-30-2023 | 05:29 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Onestumpguy
So you think the ECM is bad

I have no idea what is bad because I am not doing the diagnosis... you are..

I am suggesting it is possible that the ECM is bad, but further checking is needed. If the ECM is getting the proper signal AND the bike is not starting, that would make it probable that the ECM is bad..

This is what I would do in your shoes:

Double check you have a good CKP and it is sending the proper signal....... Over the years I have bought a few new parts that were bad out of the box. I'd hate for you to buy a new ECM and later find you got a bad CKP...

Then check all the wiring & connections paying special attention to the connector pins, to make sure the CKP signal is getting to the ECM..... I know you said you did a continuity test, which should rule out a broken wire under the insulation (from tension or being pulled), but that's not always the case. The voltage & amperage is lower enough here that it should be sufficient, but you didn't mention checking the pins for issues.

The above is what the code says is not happening......

If you can verify the proper CKP signal is making it to the correct ECM pin, then I would certainly suspect the ECM is bad.

Once I am completely sure the proper code is getting to the ECM, then just for peace of mind, I would check the ECM. I would check to make sure the proper signals aren't being sent to the coil & the injectors...

If the ECM is getting the proper signal, but is not passing on the proper signals to the coil and/or injectors... Then, I would be confident that problem is in the ECM and spend the money to buy a new ECM...

Good luck with your diagnosis and report back what you find...

Last edited by hattitude; 10-30-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2023 | 06:06 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

The first thing you want to do is make sure you have fuel pressure. Did you remove the tank for any reason?

I do know that ICMs will throw that code if you stall the motor or it doesn't start right away. Not sure about the ECMs..

The test for CKP is to disconnect it and connect to a AC volt meter. Should read about 3 volts when cranking.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023 | 08:12 PM
Onestumpguy
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The first thing you want to do is make sure you have fuel pressure. Did you remove the tank for any reason?

I do know that ICMs will throw that code if you stall the motor or it doesn't start right away. Not sure about the ECMs..

The test for CKP is to disconnect it and connect to a AC volt meter. Should read about 3 volts when cranking.
So i disconnect the pig tail from the CKP and wire 2 wire and put multimeter to volts a/c then am I testing ckp or am I testing the 2 wire connector going to the ECM
I do know I'm getting 919 ohms to the ckp on ohms reading .

Last edited by Onestumpguy; 10-30-2023 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2023 | 08:58 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

So i disconnect the pig tail from the CKP and wire 2 wire and put multimeter to volts a/c then am I testing ckp or am I testing the 2 wire connector going to the ECM
I do know I'm getting 919 ohms to the ckp on ohms reading .
You want to check the CKP output.

Old 10-30-2023 | 09:09 PM
Onestumpguy
|
Novice

You want to check the CKP output.
Just checked it . 3.58 a/c volt ...clip two alligator clips to black/ blue to pins which fasten to multimeter alligator clips cranking motor over for 15 sec jumped around between 3.58 to 3.61 volts

Last edited by Onestumpguy; 10-30-2023 at 09:40 PM.
Max Headflow (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023 | 09:51 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Leave the plugs in and see if you have spark on a spare plug while cranking.

Old 10-30-2023 | 09:55 PM
Onestumpguy
|
Novice

How will i know if i have spark if the plugs are in . And also i keep ckp plug in or unplugged

Old 10-31-2023 | 09:34 AM
Onestumpguy
|
Novice

Plug in ckp and ground another spark plug to head . Leaving both sparkplug in for timing compression. Correct?

hattitude (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023 | 09:43 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Plug in ckp and ground another spark plug to head . Leaving both sparkplug in for timing compression. Correct?
Correct. The important thing is the ECM being able to sense crank slowing to figure cam phasing.

Quick Reply: 2007 Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide Classic