Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cue Clint’s sequel: For A Few Dollars More

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 01:41 PM
JINKSTER
Road Master
Received 881 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Cue Clint’s sequel: For A Few Dollars More

I made what I’m now calling the mistake of buying the HD battery charger for what I think worked the 1st time I used it and then nothing since. No light, no power, no nothing and yes I blipped it to AGM mode and left it on overnight as a trickle charger. Next morning it was dead and I replugged it back in and on and nothing and nothing ever since.

The guy at the parts counter tried to sell me an HD charger with the new to me SGS because they put in a new HD AGM battery (which explained why this 2020 SGS only had 3,500 Mi on the odo) and I declined informing him that I already had a broken one at home and he retorted that that was the first time he ever heard of one failing well? Now ya have. Meanwhile I picked this up at wallyworld today and for just a few dollars more? Literally got 4 X’s the charger plus everything above it seems more robust and for bonus points it’ll handle the 92amphr AGM battery in my truck.

now I know many here are probably already aware of this and if that’s the case then please realize that this post is for those who aren’t.

ride safe and spend smart than me

The following users liked this post:
Highway Handler (09-24-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 02:05 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,809 Likes on 3,167 Posts

That 1 amp looks to be manufactured by NO CO Genius, one of the latest, techno smart units out there. (I have 2 units,) Its currently maintaining my Porsche 944 and I use it on the bikes as well, I'[m surprised that it failed you. About $30 Amazon (and the like.)

[url]https://www.walmart.com/ip/NOCO-GENIUS1-6V-12V-1A-Smart-Battery-Charger-and-Maintainer/892271517?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101389

Last edited by Stiggy; 09-23-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 02:17 PM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by Stiggy
That 1 amp looks to be manufactured by NO CO Genius, one of the latest, techno smart units out there. (I have 2 units,) Its currently maintaining my Porsche 944 and I use it on the bikes as well, I'[m surprised that it failed you.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W46BX31/ref=asc_df_B07W46BX31?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920843350874&hvnetw=o&hvq mt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid =pla-4583520389543586&psc=1]Amazon.com: NOCO GENIUS1, 1A Smart Car Battery Charger, 6V and 12V Automotive Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, Float Charger and Desulfator for Motorcycle, ATV, Lithium and Deep Cycle Batteries : Automotive
Yessir, looks just like that/this one and just like HD to rebrand and resell an existing product at twice actual msrp which makes me fe3el twice as bad about owning a broken one and no, I didn't save the reciepy but I did purchase it online so they may have the record of it and if it can be repaired/replaced? I'd happily give it away.

Amazon Amazon

Stiggy (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 02:31 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,767 Likes on 2,532 Posts

The HD unit has a 5 year warranty, didn't the dealership honor that warranty. they have your purchase or "gift" on file.

Buelligan666 (09-24-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 02:34 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,809 Likes on 3,167 Posts

[QUOTE=JINKSTER;21393114]Yessir, looks just like that/this one and just like HD to rebrand and resell an existing product at twice actual msrp which makes me fe3el twice as bad about owning a broken one and no, I didn't save the reciepy but I did purchase it online so they may have the record of it and if it can be repaired/replaced? I'd happily give it away.

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-23-2023, 02:54 PM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The HD unit has a 5 year warranty, didn't the dealership honor that warranty. they have your purchase or "gift" on file.
Well they didn't offer and I ain't begging. I figured I did my part telling my story as I just dropped $30K on a previously owned bike and they're the ones that just got done telling me how important it wasd to keep that brand new AGM topped off while trying to sell me another charger.

I had a stroke 8 years ago so there's some rabbit holes I'll only go down so far because if they pi$$ me off any further than that? I'll lose. big. and that chits called wisdom. LOL! But thanks. You're concern is proof there are some good people still left in this world.

Old 09-23-2023, 03:10 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Costco usually have the Battery Tender on sale. I picked up 3 a couple years ago. One for the RK, one for the Sporty and one for the Deere.

Old 09-23-2023, 03:15 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,201 Likes on 3,377 Posts

First NoCo failure I have heard of, too, but I have definitely had a few Battery Tender branded units fail.

FWIW, a 4 amp charger is not "4 times the charger" like you would think. There are different chargers for different purposes.

I have switched all of mine to NoCo, and about 15 of them at my 3 shops, now. They are good units.

Stiggy (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 03:19 PM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
First NoCo failure I have heard of, too, but I have definitely had a few Battery Tender branded units fail.

FWIW, a 4 amp charger is not "4 times the charger" like you would think. There are different chargers for different purposes.

I have switched all of mine to NoCo, and about 15 of them at my 3 shops, now. They are good units.
wow. I'm feeling more special by the post! LOL! Maybe mine is just a extra smart charger and it's fooling me? LOL!

Edited to Update: I just googled "Noco Genius Problems" and then I googled uip "Battery Tender Problems"

I feel much better now. (e4nd of edit)

Last edited by JINKSTER; 09-23-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:55 PM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 1,023 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
Costco usually have the Battery Tender on sale. I picked up 3 a couple years ago. One for the RK, one for the Sporty and one for the Deere.
Mine from Costco died in a couple months. One day just dead as door nail, good thing wa stoat Costco took it back no questions asked.

Quick Reply: Cue Clint’s sequel: For A Few Dollars More