Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 on Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 on Ultra

I did a search on MP3 but didn't find what I wanted to know.
The Harley MP3 player comes with a 64 MB card , thats not much memory if I am correct. Can you just get cards with more memory?
Thought about a I-Pod, but looks like it would be harder to use.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:09 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: MP3 on Ultra

yes you can get cards with more storage. your player has to be able to recognise the amount you put in it. if you get an mp3 play get a sandisk one and not the ipod you need flash memory on the road and not the hard drive in an ipod.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 PM
LDrider
Cruiser

The Harley mp3 player can take up to a 1 gig SD card. But without the ability to use playlists or folders like an ipod can,I find it easier using smaller 256 meg cardsto orginize my music on as it's easy to switch them on the fly.All my music on the 1 gig cards makes it hard to find what I'm in the mood for when the only navigation tool is 1...2...3... Don't get me wrong, I love mine. It looks good on the bike, solid mounting, operates even in heavy rain and has held up fine so far (3 yrs.). I just wishit had the features found commonlly on players costing far less. I've now added a Zumo 550 GPS and use it's mp3/XM abilities. Problem solved. I have a 4 gig HDSD card but it can take up to an 8. I just don't know 10 thousand songs that I like.

If you see a GPS in your future, I'd pass on the HD player and put the money towards a Zumo.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:47 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tlb,

I don't have an MP3 player, but could you lend me your "accessory"....she could just sing or hum ;-^) for me!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 PM
ironhorselady
Road Master

I'm buying myself this one that was recommended in American Iron Oct. 07 issue. It's 1GB (320 songs), waterproof and shockproof.
http://freestyleaudio.com/products.php

Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior

I have dicked around with my HD MP3 player now for a couple years.

One gig card can hold ~ 110 songs or 497 MB - THAT IS IT - NO MORE.

Going to 2, 3 4... gigs GETS YOU NOTHING!!! Except a trip to Best Buy to return it.

There is no way around that limitation - has to do with the FAT file system used in the MP3's OS/hardware.

Another perfect example ofHarley Davidson design - but there is no excuse for this one - totally idiotic / cheap.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

ORIGINAL: tlb

yes you can get cards with more storage. your player has to be able to recognise the amount you put in it. if you get an mp3 play get a sandisk one and not the ipod you need flash memory on the road and not the hard drive in an ipod.
I went with the Ipod NONO for this reason, 8 GB, holds around 2000 songs[sm=icon_rock.gif]. I don't own a 2000 songs.[sm=smiley2.gif].....I think this will do me for a long time.
Works great in my BOSE player as well.....too cool.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:08 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ironhorselady

I'm buying myself this one that was recommended in American Iron Oct. 07 issue. It's 1GB (320 songs), waterproof and shockproof.
http://freestyleaudio.com/products.php

i like the water proffpart but not really the built in memory or rechargable battery.
i know it has to have these two parts to be water proff.
I dont like to have to charge stuff more often then not my cell phone goes dead because i forgot to plug it in last night.
it would be one more thing to worry about getting ready for a ride and if not charged no tunes.
I use several different devices which use the SD cards so i have several around my kids and wife uses them too. we have decided it si the stardard memory we alway buy. allows differnet music without reloading the entire unit.
plus i plug it into a FM transmitter which allows us to play MP3s in the boat and truck without buying a new radio.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:28 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you know ,you can always reduce the file size of each song and get a lot more songs on the card.i know,that reduces the quality but at 60 mph and nice sounding pipes i doubt you will hear any differance.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Keener
Tourer

I have an '05 Ultra. Where would I hook up a MP3 player?

Quick Reply: MP3 on Ultra