Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:27 AM
bruceb
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air compressor

I used to have a 2005 BMW K1200LT and will be buying an 08 RG. On the BMW, I had installed a Thomas 115 air compressor under the top tour pack and had a quick disconnect for the air line. I worked great!!! I don't know if there is enough room on the H-D's to do the same but if so, it is a good way to have a compressor that works and is out of the way. There are different models that put out more air, if needed.I tried to attach a photo ofa unit but the file was too large.I bought mine on Ebay. Just food for thought.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:43 AM
kdietz
Road Captain
Default RE: Air compressor

I have one mounted under the battery tray.....a pain to get to, but there's plenty of room there!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:04 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be missing the boat but why an air compressor on a bike?

Old 08-25-2007, 09:31 AM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

An onboard air compressor makes it much easier to adjust tire pressure....and could be your best friend if you needed to do so in an area where no air compressors were available. Nice insurance to have.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

This is another way to inflate your tires on the road.
http://www.stopngo.com/products/inflation/PQE1.asp

Old 08-25-2007, 10:52 AM
IamZardoz
Tourer

Another solution is just buy one from Wal-Mart for $20 and throw it in your saddlebag. They are pretty small. If you need to use it (after plugging aflat tire) just plug it into the cigarette lighter. Good for inflating air matresses on camping trips too.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:59 AM
beemer737
Tourer

Buy the Kmart $20 dollar version, somebody else did this and took it apart, so did I, you end up with a palm size bit of pump, wire and hose, put it in a ziplock bag. I used it every day on the road, didn't have to jocky over to a station, dismount, yadda, yadda.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:42 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought a 10 buck Walmart one and took the compressor out of the housing. I have a cig lighter socket that I plug in my heated gear harness. Those two with a plug kit fits nicely in a zippered bag........I used the kit earlier today while on a poker run. A guy picked up a a nail and had a sudden flat. We had him back on the road in less than 10 minutes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/99FB1B5B0B68407B9F1DA84C260D4DBD.jpg[/IMG]

If I had a fairing bike, I would rig it up under the fairing. Check out eGlide Goodies. They have a kit that they have cobbled together withreadily availableparts for mounting a compressor under the fairing....You can make your own for far less than their 200 buck price.

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id163.html

Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer

I just bought a Slime compressor kit which includesa bottle of slime with the compressorfrom Walmart for $20. Fits nicely in the saddle bag without taking much room. It comes with a cig. lighter power cord and I purchased a female auxillarypower source which Walmart sells. Installed a terminal on the positive wire end and used the furnished round female plug for the negative side of the auxillary power cable from the battery. Along with a seperatetire plug kit, the compressor works great and now I don't have to worry about being stranded.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Hogwallop

I just bought a Slime compressor kit which includesa bottle of slime with the compressorfrom Walmart for $20. Fits nicely in the saddle bag without taking much room. It comes with a cig. lighter power cord and I purchased a female auxillarypower source which Walmart sells. Installed a terminal on the positive wire end and used the furnished round female plug for the negative side of the auxillary power cable from the battery. Along with a seperatetire plug kit, the compressor works great and now I don't have to worry about being stranded.
I second that motion - most of us who have solid wheels (no spokes) carry plug kits, but, after plugging a tire, we still need to pump it up. Always carry a small compressor if you want extra insurance away from home. The Slime version is the best, imho. (300 psi capable - read >>HERE)