Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ Pass Blues... Jeez..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:05 AM
tizone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ Pass Blues... Jeez..

I have had such a huge problem with EZpass on my bike. I tried it forst insie the right saddlebag lid and the thing went dead... maybe the vibration? I hadabout 4 violations that I had to appeal. I knew the tag was dead because after a couple of times I even held the darn thing in my teeth going through and it still didn't work.

So I ordered a new one, and kept it in the pocket of my mesh jacket. The first time I tried it it seemed to work fine. Yesterday I go through and nada. Didn't read again. I don't know if its the tag or the specific tolls I go through here in PA but I am so sick of appealing violations I am seriously ready to just stick this thing to the middle of my windshield.

I hate tolls.... I have an ezpass in my truck and have never once had a problem with it.

I know that there are ezpass mounts but I dont really want anything else hanging off of my handlebars...

Just ranting.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:09 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: EZ Pass Blues... Jeez..

Windsheild bag works everytime for me.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:20 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: masterblaster

I have minein the windsheild bag (left side) and it works everytime in Md, Del, NJ but NOT everytime at the Breezewood Exit off of the Pa Pike. Beenthrough the appeal process, just a pain in the butt.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:46 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I mounted mine under the fairing about 4" down from the top edge of the windsheild and directly over the radio. It is directly under the eagle on my fairing in the pic. Works every time.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/BD9CBFFCD36B4DD9ABCA29E3A4E2176B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2007, 08:47 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here and never had a problem in MA/NH/ME.

ORIGINAL: masterblaster

Old 08-25-2007, 09:02 AM
HoggerCom
Intermediate

I have the same problem with it here in NYC, also.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have it mounted on the windshield of my RK, on the left lower side.

I did notice it often depends on the toll booth.. if it has that gate that comes down or just a light that says go.

For some reason, it doesn't work too well on the ones with the gate.

Anyway.. after dealing with this problem on an extremely frequent basis.. I simply go around the gate now.

Before you decide to do this, make sure your EZ Pass account has your motorcycle properly listed on it.. (make, model, plate #, etc)

Reviewing my account now, I can tell when it does, and when it doesn't read my EZ Pass. If you look at your bill, sometimes it shows just your license plate number, instead of EZ Pass tag number. That means it didn't read your EZ Pass, and it took a picture of your plate and billed you that way.

My logic?? Well.. if you look at these EZ Pass lanes, there are signs everywhere that say DO NOT STOP, DO NOT BACK UP. Some even have speed limit signs. But no STOP signs. At all.

Using a device that is supposed to grant your passage through the toll safely, I'd say it's outright dangerous, especially on a motorcycle, that a wooden bar may potentially be right across your path, and can cause you to wipe out on the usually oil-covered pavement in the toll area.

I'm not suggesting everyone runs the tolls... but if my EZ Pass account is active, up to date, and the tag ismounted according to theirspecifications, I always stay to the right where I can fit through on the right side of the gate, just in case. Usually there is about 4 or 5 feet of space there.

Beingat a halt, in anEZ Pass lane, while other traffic is coming in behind you, expecting to breeze through, isn't the safest place to be on a bike, either.

It's probably just a matter of time before someone gets hurt really bad, and holds them responsbile.

I did notice this happens mainly in and around the NYC area. I think they have the sensors set up wrong, or something... because I never have a problem anywhere else, including NJ, PA, and MD, where I ride to frequently.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:18 AM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

Like Soos and Petemac, I have mine mounted to the inside of the outerfairing, directly in the center, andhave had no problems. When I had it mounted on the underside of the saddlebag lid, sometimes it would work...and sometimes it wouldn't.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:03 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't know if it's relevant to this discussion, but I know that in PA they want you to buy a separate transponder for your motorcycle. I don't know if it's different (I was just told that it was "weatherproof"). I have one for my car/pickup, but didn't get one for the motorcycle since I rarely use the toll roads with a motorcycle and didn't want a separate annual fee for the motorcycles.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 841 Likes on 634 Posts

the toll misses some times on mine...i find that if it is a high truck use toll station that the bar in the ground in the toll lane that you run over will not register the bike...weight issue?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:40 AM
HoggerCom
Intermediate

Here in NY, there is the Motorcycle EZ Pass also.. which entitles you to half price at all NYC area crossings. It looks basically the same asthe automobile one, with the exception of a large M on it.

I'm thinking that they made them "less powerful" to deter people from using them in their cars for the discount. Just a theorey... I'll try swapping it out with my regular one and see if works better.

Quick Reply: EZ Pass Blues... Jeez..