Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking gas cap,,, HAVE you done THIS??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Locking gas cap,,, HAVE you done THIS??

my new ultra,, has a locking gas cap right,, (my 07,I switched to a push button when I bought it.)
Anyways I was at a rally, and I always fill up at night,right before the bike gets put up...
in the Morn , take off , long group ride,, about 3 hrs later, we need gas,,
pull up,,,unlock the gas tank lid,,,,FUKK!! no cap??
now it was either stolen,which peeps showed me any key will fit,, or I rode all morn ,with a full tank,
and no cap! (I might have forgot)!! .. it sucked, so I get about 3 gal's and head to HD dealer,, $15.50 later new cap!

so do you all realise any body's barrel key will fit you lid,,,,, thiers did in mine!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:37 PM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Locking gas cap,,, HAVE you done THIS??

Yep, thats why I switched to the push button. The lock only keeps the honest people away!!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Push button here too.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Cycleman6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a push button for my 08, but they aren't available yet. I hate carrying my keys for the bike..always leave it unlocked.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The first time I filled this new EGC I did exactly that. I smelled gas a few miles after I had filled up and immediately remembered sitting the cap on the floor board but I didn't remember putting it back on the tank. On my previous Heritage I had one of those gas cap hangers sold by a forum member and I always hung it on the throttle cable but forgot to take it off the Heritage when I traded it. Same as you, straight to the dealer for a $15.00 lesson.

While at the dealer buying the cap I took the hanger off the Heritage (still on the floor) and put it on the new cap. Hmm, the '08 doesn't have a throttle cable to hang it from. I now hang it from the brake lever.

Jim

Old 08-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cycleman6

I want a push button for my 08, but they aren't available yet. I hate carrying my keys for the bike..always leave it unlocked.
I bought the push button that you can optionally lock and it works fine on my '08. The only change is that you don't install the spting clip that comes with it as the '08 doesn't have the screw to mount it to, but it isn't required as the '08 door is spring loaded.

Jim

Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well to let ya know,, my pushbutton off the 07 will not fit the 08,, I tried it,,
next, no more puttin the cap on the gas pump,, I set it on the front brake resivoir lid , good spot for it

Old 08-24-2007, 09:03 PM
dionne51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always put my gas capon the seat while filling up to force me to remember to put it back.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:12 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

there was a member selling gas cap hangers a while ago and he sold on ebaY, THEY are slick made of round wire coiled up to friction fit inside your gas cap with a small hook on the end, you hang the cap from the throttle cables or something nearby, it gives you a place for your cap without causing it to get scratched, which is good for those of us who have exposed caps and you have a hard time forgetting your cap on a pump or wherever you set it down, got a few of them and so far all who have seen them wanted on also, only 5-6 bucks i think.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

ORIGINAL: j2dawson

ORIGINAL: Cycleman6

I bought the push button that you can optionally lock and it works fine on my '08. The only change is that you don't install the spting clip that comes with it as the '08 doesn't have the screw to mount it to, but it isn't required as the '08 door is spring loaded.

Jim
same here

Quick Reply: Locking gas cap,,, HAVE you done THIS??