Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet resonance - through seat? 2007 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 12:55 PM
MrWrestlingII
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figuring out a solution to a problem like this is difficult and can only be done thru trial and error.

I’m convinced the problem I have with buffeting on bikes with windshields is due to an inner ear issue. I finally got my RK to where I can now ride with a helmet but it wasn’t easy getting there.

About all you can do is to keep trying different things until you find a solution or give up on this particular bike. I sold a 1200GS ADV because I couldn’t fix the buffeting problem on that bike.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:26 PM
Squisher
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWrestlingII
Figuring out a solution to a problem like this is difficult and can only be done thru trial and error.

I’m convinced the problem I have with buffeting on bikes with windshields is due to an inner ear issue. I finally got my RK to where I can now ride with a helmet but it wasn’t easy getting there.

About all you can do is to keep trying different things until you find a solution or give up on this particular bike. I sold a 1200GS ADV because I couldn’t fix the buffeting problem on that bike.
Glad you could find a solution that works!

And I agree on the trial and error. I was hoping the collective on the internet might have some good suggestions. I know a lot of the name brand seats claim to reduce engine vibrations, but that's an expensive ask for trial and error.

One of my next moves is to try temporarily stuffing some left over foam into a couple spots in my helmet to try to change its resonance frequency. If that helps then I'm off to a helmet shop. Feel bad I didn't think of that until just a couple of minutes ago but eh.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:48 PM
Ingramite
Road Master
Received 1,280 Likes on 549 Posts

This phenomenon is known as nasal cavity reversion.
Quickly overcome by stuffing a wad of toilet paper up each nostril.
Leave the toilet paper protruding 12 inches so you can capture the tail under your closed face shield.

Old 08-03-2023, 02:57 PM
nomoreyellowfootprints
Cruiser
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 401 Likes on 102 Posts

You have posed an interesting problem and very similar to what I went through. Like you, I ride a 2007 police bike. Now mine's an Electra Glide and obviously the windshield is different, but for some reason I experience this exact phenomena. At highway speeds there was quite a vibration of unknown origin. It was getting to a point where I was having difficulty focusing on instrumentation and road signs. I chalked it up to just the road surface here in Central Florida. At least I did until I got a new Harley-Davidson brand 3/4 helmet and used it instead of my Harley-Davidson brand 1/2 helmet. It made all the difference in the world. Now, I thought that might be a coincidence. So, when I got back to the house, I put my Harley-Davidson brand 1/2 helmet back on, road most of the same route, and the vibration was back.

I have a typical police seat, but I changed the airbag to the spring style. Whether the seat has some effect on it I don't know. I do know if I wear the same Harley-Davidson brand 1/2 helmet on my Heritage Softail Classic, I don't notice the vibration. Not sure what it is but now I wear my Harley-Davidson brand 3/4 helmet.

The following users liked this post:
Squisher (08-04-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 06:15 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

Fork fangs

Old 08-04-2023, 12:56 PM
Squisher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ve9aa
Fork fangs
Already done.

I was able to try several different seats yesterday. The best one was a Revere by Mustang. Very slim and firm. It noticeably reduced the symptoms between 1900 and ~2400 and they were basically gone above that; to the point on my test ride I could actually tell I still have some mild wind buffeting above 65 mph. But that's completely different and easier to solve.

So now I'm going seat shopping. The Revere they had was comfortable enough but I think it would fall short for an all-day ride. I might get it anyway just to have a known decent saddle for local rides because they had a good price on it.

Anyone have any experience with the Saddlemen Road Sofa regarding engine vibration damping?

Old 08-04-2023, 01:03 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,208 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Just curious if you have looked at your engine mounts as a possible contributor to this issue?
Brand, type, condition, etc would be on my list of considerations.
Just because they are new, wouldn’t mean to me that they aren’t part of the problem/source of the issue.

Old 08-04-2023, 01:51 PM
Squisher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
Just curious if you have looked at your engine mounts as a possible contributor to this issue?
Brand, type, condition, etc would be on my list of considerations.
Just because they are new, wouldn’t mean to me that they aren’t part of the problem/source of the issue.
First thing I tried was to replace the front mount. I put on a Drag Specialties unit because of price (like $25 vs 90 for OEM). I actually suspected that so I went to my local dealer prepared to buy an OEM one, but the service guy said they've used Drag's when they couldn't get OEM ones in so I assume it's fine. The engine itself doesn't seem to move any more than it's expected to.

I have rear isolators on order due to come in by Sunday or so. I don't appear to have any compensator symptoms.

The resonance I'm getting does appear to specifically stem from me wearing earplugs. -- I did some basic experimenting w/ and w/o the helmet. And the helmet (or lack thereof) doesn't actually factor into it very much. The noise I perceive is similar to the "rumble" I hear from taking heavy footsteps while wearing earplugs. It's probably just my brain rattling around

Honestly, with the success (FINALLY!) I had trying a few seats out, I think I'm on to it. The stock seat kinda sucks anyway so if I can get 2 wins with one purchase that's even better.

The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (08-04-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 12:19 PM
MotorSeven
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Seat pan rubbing on frame? Flip it over and look for witness marks.

Old 08-05-2023, 02:36 PM
Squisher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MotorSeven
Seat pan rubbing on frame? Flip it over and look for witness marks.
It absolutely is. I wrapped what frame underneath I could with plumbing insulation but that didn't really do anything.

I was actually thinking the rubber feet on the Revere seat's pan was actually part of why it was so much better though. So I think I'm going to order a Road Sofa on my next paycheck. Get that good build quality and gel isolation.

Last edited by Squisher; 08-05-2023 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quick Reply: Helmet resonance - through seat? 2007 Road King