Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet resonance - through seat? 2007 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 10:00 AM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,208 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Odd question, but what type of helmet are you using, and have you tried any others?

The following users liked this post:
nomoreyellowfootprints (08-03-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 10:54 AM
Squisher
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
Odd question, but what type of helmet are you using, and have you tried any others?
Full face, Scorpion. I've thought about it, but I'm trying to solve it at the source so I'm not limited on helmets going forward.

3/4 or half helmets just aren't an option. I'd have to find a shop that would let me test ride a bucket before buying.

Goose_NC (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 10:58 AM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,208 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Squisher
Full face, Scorpion. I've thought about it, but I'm trying to solve it at the source so I'm not limited on helmets going forward.

3/4 or half helmets just aren't an option. I'd have to find a shop that would let me test ride a bucket before buying.
I’m with you on the FF helmet.
I’ve got no answers, but I am curious about how you solve it.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:11 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,262 Likes on 7,695 Posts

May also want to try a different kind of earplug. I have a set that touches the foam inside my helmet and it can cause some resonance. When the ear plugs touch the inside of the helmet it seems the noise is transmitted from the helmet through the ear plugs into my ear, very annoying.

I have been using these with great success.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 08-01-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:18 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,419 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
DO you have the windshield on the bike? If so see if adjusting the tilt of the shield adjusts the sounds.
I've got an 07' RoadKing and there is no way on mine to adjust the shield.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:48 PM
MrWrestlingII
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you’re describing is called buffeting.
I’ve fought this problem on every bike with a windshield I’ve ever ridden when wearing a helmet and have been able to pretty much eliminate it on my 08 RK with the following…

1. Front fangs
2. Aftermarket windshield with a vent. It’s tall enough so that I can just see over it on a flat road. I can’t recall the brand but it also has a lip on the edge. The vent really helps to equalize the pressure between the front and backside of the shield.
3. A low profile helmet. I’m using a 3/4 Daytona.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:58 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,817 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Squisher

Going back 10+ years ago, I purchased a Shoei full face helmet that was horrible behind the windshield on my MotoGuzzi. After research, I found that it was designed for sport bikes, and as such was designed to work best with a forward lean position. I sold that helmet and bout another Shoei that was designed for cruisers. I've forgotten the model numbers.

Squisher (08-02-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 01:47 PM
Squisher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrWrestlingII
What you’re describing is called buffeting.
I’ve fought this problem on every bike with a windshield I’ve ever ridden when wearing a helmet and have been able to pretty much eliminate it on my 08 RK with the following…

1. Front fangs
2. Aftermarket windshield with a vent. It’s tall enough so that I can just see over it on a flat road. I can’t recall the brand but it also has a lip on the edge. The vent really helps to equalize the pressure between the front and backside of the shield.
3. A low profile helmet. I’m using a 3/4 Daytona.
Not buffeting in this case but thanks for the tips. Anything less than full face helmet is out of the question. I'm at ATTGATT nerd. Weird in the HD crowd in my area but I is what I is.
  • It happens with, OR without a windshield. I run the 21" big one; I had a shorter one but the buffeting on it was awful. Very distinctly different symptom
  • I do have the fork deflectors (fangs) - that did solve what buffeting issues I had.
  • It happens at low speeds as well as high. Any time the engine is in that 1900-2800 rpm range.
    • 20 MPH speed limits are BRUTAL because both 1st and second gear sit RIGHT in that RPM range at low speeds like that.
  • When I remove my earplugs inside the helmet the resonance goes away, but wind noise is rough (for me) above 40 mph. Let alone an extended freeway trip
  • If I keep my head in the same position, but just roll my hips back slightly (to get my tailbone off the seat pan) the resonance is greatly reduced to completely eliminated. But that's a very awkward posture to keep for more than a minute or so.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:50 PM
Squisher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
May also want to try a different kind of earplug. I have a set that touches the foam inside my helmet and it can cause some resonance. When the ear plugs touch the inside of the helmet it seems the noise is transmitted from the helmet through the ear plugs into my ear, very annoying.

I have been using these with great success.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I might have to try those. My normal go-to earplug is the orange foam one (Howard Leight brand), rated at 32db attenuation. Been fine on every other bike I've owned since I started riding but different ear pro is cheap to try.
I did try a "hi-fidelity" filter-style silicone set but really were not any better.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:52 PM
Squisher
Intermediate

Mods are done:
Wide bicycle gel seat cover between the pan and the original foam
2" green upholstery foam added on top, cut to match the shape (more or less). Added maybe 3/4" seated height.
​​​​​​Results: might have actually made my issue worse. Sits pretty comfy but didn't solve my resonance problem.

I bought a slightly different earplug that I'll try next. I also plan on going back to the independent shop I bought at and see if they'll let me borrow the one-piece seat that was on it for my test ride briefly since I don't remember this symptom from then.

ETA: They had a different seat on it before I bought it, but it was slick enough I felt like I would slide backwards when giving it any real throttle. They were nice enough to trade me even for the OEM style seat I have now. If the slick banana seat fixes the resonance then I'll just deal with the slickness separately.

Last edited by Squisher; 08-02-2023 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Helmet resonance - through seat? 2007 Road King