Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
fishafly
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM warranty?

The dealer is sayin I have 3 circuits fried in my ECM... In another thread I read that they are covered for 5 years? Can anyone verify this.. I should have removed the PCIII before takin it in... I also read that steel braided spark plug wires can be a source of the problems I am having... I just want to try a couple of different things before goin' for the new ECM as people have said they were told the same thing replaced it and it still ran like crap... And if it is a warranty item I'll remove PC and bring to another dealer...

Old 08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: ECM warranty?

Am I correct in thinking the Thundermax or the DTT will replace the ECM? IF so and the ECM is fried and moco will not warranty I would look aftermarket.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how much a new stock ECM is butI agree, go with the Thundermax.
If I did'nt have almost a year left on my warantee I'd sell you mine if it would work.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the dealer reach that determination using a breakout box or just hooking his DT up to it? What if the three circuits' fry-points are within the harness somewhere remote from the ECU and the ECU itself is still okay?

Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

fish: My '04 police model EG owner's manual says the Emission Control System Warranty is for "5 years or 18,641 (30,000 kilometers) whichever occurs first."

I don't know if there is a difference between the police model and civilian model emissions warranty, but I doubt it. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:05 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

This is Harley Speak. I had one that would not work, and they said since it would not code, they would not do anything about it.. It now sits on my desk, while a Thundermax is in the bike. Best thing I ever did. Buy a Thundermax, find an independent, and you will get things fixed right the first time. There is no reason to go to a dealer, warranty is useless in my opinion. After Thundermax, I have cooler running, better throttle response, and better gas mileage. The auto tune module is easy to deal with, and I do not have to listen to stupidity from a lifestyle technician at the Tshirt Store. Dealers Suck! I don't use them. They are there to sell you a raw product that they do not have the time or the knowlege to properly understand or maintain. Independent shops are in business to make money FIXING BIKES...

As always just my opinion. But I have lived the drama of dealers in the MD VA area, and I was NEVER impressed. Ever. Sad.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:06 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Gostaz, i like the way you put it and I've found a good indy who should be able to take care of me in the future. Sometimes he isn't as convenient as the dealer, but he's a good guy, and I can even bs with the mechanic WHENEVER i want.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:08 PM
fishafly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

fish: My '04 police model EG owner's manual says the Emission Control System Warranty is for "5 years or 18,641 (30,000 kilometers) whichever occurs first."

I don't know if there is a difference between the police model and civilian model emissions warranty, but I doubt it. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
I just called another dealer and they said there was a 5 year 18K mile warranty... I DID NOT tell them I had a PCIII on it... My dealer said there was no warranty..unless I had an extended warranty...

Old 08-24-2007, 03:24 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think warranty extends past the stated warranty except on EPA items, maybe this falls under that.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:24 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. Look in your manual, in the rear, in the pages with the black band on the outer edges. The product is certified to meet EPA specs for 5 years or 18,641 miles (30k kilometers). If the ECU isn't working it can't meet that requirement. No way, no how.

The tool they'll probably try to use to weasel out of it would be exception number one: "Failures which arise as a result of misuse, alterations, accident or non-performance of maintenance as specified in the Owner's Manual."

Quick Reply: ECM warranty?