Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ECM warranty?

ORIGINAL: fishafly

The dealer is sayin I have 3 circuits fried in my ECM... In another thread I read that they are covered for 5 years? Can anyone verify this.. I should have removed the PCIII before takin it in... I also read that steel braided spark plug wires can be a source of the problems I am having... I just want to try a couple of different things before goin' for the new ECM as people have said they were told the same thing replaced it and it still ran like crap... And if it is a warranty item I'll remove PC and bring to another dealer...

I have a Factory ECM with a SERT married to it for sale. The ECM is from my 02 EGC.....The SERT comes with the cables and C/D software.....................[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 08-25-2007, 04:04 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Fish, it seems like you are having all sorts of issues lately. Sorry, man. I don't know if the ecm is covered. I did find out that the emissions systems on vehicles are covered as follows.

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.
Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim

Never knew this was at the bottom of the Magnuson-Moss Act. I had the catalytic converter go out (get plugged up) on the OL car, and this saved me some bucks. The mechanic told me. If he hadn't, I would have paid him whatever it was to fix it.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1

The dealer is sayin I have 3 circuits fried in my ECM... In another thread I read that they are covered for 5 years? Can anyone verify this.. I should have removed the PCIII before takin it in... I also read that steel braided spark plug wires can be a source of the problems I am having... I just want to try a couple of different things before goin' for the new ECM as people have said they were told the same thing replaced it and it still ran like crap... And if it is a warranty item I'll remove PC and bring to another dealer...

I have a Factory ECM with a SERT married to it for sale. The ECM is from my 02 EGC.....The SERT comes with the cables and C/D software.....................[sm=goodidea.gif]
I thought the factory ECM was married to the bike and couldn't be switched around easily...wrong?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 AM
fishafly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

Fish, it seems like you are having all sorts of issues lately. Sorry, man. I don't know if the ecm is covered. I did find out that the emissions systems on vehicles are covered as follows.
It does seem that way PT!! But with the help of this forum I got it solved AND saved around $800 bucks... Here is a post of mine from another thread...

So as I was perusing posts in the Electrical/Ign./Ecm section I came across what turned out to be my "problem" all along...

First off I must say my dealer is a ***** and I will not be returning. They told me I had 3 bad circuits on my ECM and it would need to be replaced. I asked specifically about the 5 year 18K mile warranty on ECM's.. He asked if I had an extended warranty, I do not I said, he said it wasn't covered then.. I called another dealer and asked the same question and they confirmed what I had learned here that indeed there is a 5/18 warranty on ECM's.. This pretty much pist me off as I felt I had been directly lied to... I went and got my bike and took itto my regular wrench and tried a fix that forum member TickTock had said worked on his wife's bike, who BTW was having similar issues, and who also had a PCIII on it and whoseECM was replacedUNDER WARRANTY!!! Well when that didn't work, he said that the steel braided spark plug wires were arching and causingthe problem, went back to stock wires and no more problems... Sooo I rode over to my guy, we switched out the spark plug wires and now my bike runs great!!! Thanks again TT... The simple fix saved me about 800 bucks!!!

Love this forum... Now I can kinda inderstand why so many people seem to have problems with their dealer...

Old 08-25-2007, 01:31 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: stro1965

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1

I thought the factory ECM was married to the bike and couldn't be switched around easily...wrong?
Nope. The ECM has no marriage to the bike, but the SERT marries the ECM by V.I.N. #`s.
I have the ECM and SERT for an 02 FLH and it will work up to and including06 model years.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:18 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 01egc and had an 01 police RK I swapped the ecms out after I wrecked the EGC because it was already stage one d/l.
The police ran just fine.

The SERT is married to the ecm it is first used on.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:42 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't say they were married but I wouldn't be surprised to discover the VIN was recorded somewhere in the ECU.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glens

I wouldn't say they were married but I wouldn't be surprised to discover the VIN was recorded somewhere in the ECU.
Yes..The V.I.N. # is stored in the ECM, but you can use the ECM on any bike withing the design era (years)for that ECM.. The bikehas no data storage. Only the ECM

Old 08-26-2007, 03:49 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

It does seem that way PT!! But with the help of this forum I got it solved AND saved around $800 bucks... Here is a post of mine from another thread...

So as I was perusing posts in the Electrical/Ign./Ecm section I came across what turned out to be my "problem" all along...

First off I must say my dealer is a ***** and I will not be returning. They told me I had 3 bad circuits on my ECM and it would need to be replaced. I asked specifically about the 5 year 18K mile warranty on ECM's.. He asked if I had an extended warranty, I do not I said, he said it wasn't covered then.. I called another dealer and asked the same question and they confirmed what I had learned here that indeed there is a 5/18 warranty on ECM's.. This pretty much pist me off as I felt I had been directly lied to... I went and got my bike and took itto my regular wrench and tried a fix that forum member TickTock had said worked on his wife's bike, who BTW was having similar issues, and who also had a PCIII on it and whoseECM was replacedUNDER WARRANTY!!! Well when that didn't work, he said that the steel braided spark plug wires were arching and causingthe problem, went back to stock wires and no more problems... Sooo I rode over to my guy, we switched out the spark plug wires and now my bike runs great!!! Thanks again TT... The simple fix saved me about 800 bucks!!!

Love this forum... Now I can kinda inderstand why so many people seem to have problems with their dealer...
Glad you are back up and running.