Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Stock Ultra Limited stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 03:02 PM
R-N-R King
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Stock Ultra Limited stalling

Good day, all!
I have a 2013 Ultra Limited with just over 27K on it. There are no engine mods. Only aftermarket Rinehart exhaust pipes. About a month ago, I had just returned home from riding. About 10 minutes later, I left to head to the gas station to refuel. I got about a quarter-mile down the street and the bike stalled. According to the DTE, I had about 20 miles left, so I should have been fine. I pulled off onto a side street and it restarted, ran for a few seconds, then stalled like it wasn't getting gas. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and it started, so I rode it back to the house and put some gas from a can in it. I then was able to ride to the gas station and fill up. Did not have any further issue at the time. I did another day ride of about 200 miles about a week later without a problem. Then, on July 4th, I took it out, rode across town to my brothers house, about 30 miles away, and we then rode to a restaurant about 10 miles away for breakfast. When we left there about 45 minutes later, we went about a quarter-mile up the road and it stalled again for no apparent reason. There was plenty of gas in it, as well. I finally got it started and we kept riding for a while and finally got back to his house. I left there and headed towards home via the local interstates, the same way I went out. The bike then started having stalling fits about every quarter- to half-mile. The longer I let it sit, the farther it seemed to go once started. I finally got it home and it has sat since. Earlier this week, I was going to try to get it to a friend's shop to have it looked at. I could not keep it running long enough to get out of the driveway. Today, I changed a very dirty fuel filter, but the symptoms remain. I turn on the ignition, wait for the pump, and then it starts. It idles for a few seconds, then starts to sputter, like it is not getting gas, and it stalls. I should note that, when it is idling, it is smooth idling. So I tend to believe either something may be clogged or starting to fail. Maybe a fuel pump? Looking for opinions, thoughts, experience? What would you chase first, and how would you confirm a failed part? Would like to take a shot at it myself before paying someone to come out with a trailer to pick it up, then pay to fix it.

Last edited by R-N-R King; 07-15-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:26 PM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 892 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by R-N-R King
Good day, all!
I have a 2013 Ultra Limited with just over 27K on it. There are no engine mods. Only aftermarket Rinehart exhaust pipes. About a month ago, I had just returned home from riding. About 10 minutes later, I left to head to the gas station to refuel. I got about a quarter-mile down the street and the bike stalled. According to the DTE, I had about 20 miles left, so I should have been fine. I pulled off onto a side street and it restarted, ran for a few seconds, then stalled like it wasn't getting gas. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and it started, so I rode it back to the house and put some gas from a can in it. I then was able to ride to the gas station and fill up. Did not have any further issue at the time. I did another day ride of about 200 miles about a week later without a problem. Then, on July 4th, I took it out, rode across town to my brothers house, about 30 miles away, and we then rode to a restaurant about 10 miles away for breakfast. When we left there about 45 minutes later, we went about a quarter-mile up the road and it stalled again for no apparent reason. There was plenty of gas in it, as well. I finally got it started and we kept riding for a while and finally got back to his house. I left there and headed towards home via the local interstates, the same way I went out. The bike then started having stalling fits about every quarter- to half-mile. The longer I let it sit, the farther it seemed to go once started. I finally got it home and it has sat since. Earlier this week, I was going to try to get it to a friend's shop to have it looked at. I could not keep it running long enough to get out of the driveway. Today, I changed a very dirty fuel filter, but the symptoms remain. I turn on the ignition, wait for the pump, and then it starts. It idles for a few seconds, then starts to sputter, like it is not getting gas, and it stalls. I should note that, when it is idling, it is smooth idling. So I tend to believe either something may be clogged or starting to fail. Maybe a fuel pump? Looking for opinions, thoughts, experience? What would you chase first, and how would you confirm a failed part? Would like to take a shot at it myself before paying someone to come out with a trailer to pick it up, then pay to fix it.
pull your codes and see if there are any DTC’s

Old 07-15-2023, 06:11 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 466 Likes on 356 Posts

^^^pull codes. if its shutting down on you there should be codes stored. although sometimes the temp sensor may not throw one.

Old 07-16-2023, 07:35 AM
R-N-R King
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pulled a P1353 and P1356. Now, I am starting to think ignition coil, hoping for a single point of failure. Thoughts?

Old 07-16-2023, 08:10 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by R-N-R King
pulled a P1353 and P1356. Now, I am starting to think ignition coil, hoping for a single point of failure. Thoughts?
very good possibility. If you buy a new coil go with an OE Harley one.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Check the fuel pump, The in tank hose is a known issue.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:11 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,808 Likes on 2,544 Posts

Sounds like your crank position sensor is dying on you. We have chased the same problem on a car for three days at a dealership, put a tattle tail box on it and it was confirmed. Hall Effect type sensor. reads the flywheel and initiates a signal for the ECM.

Last edited by seniorsuperglideE8; 07-16-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:12 PM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
Check the fuel pump, The in tank hose is a known issue.
p1353 and p1356 are not fuel related codes.

Old 07-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Dseago1969
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 214 Posts

@Germansheperd they most certainly can be fuel related. The ecm is reading faulty combustion. Although I lean towards the coils since it sounds possibly heat related and electric components fail with heat, a pin hole in the fuel line in the tank will often cause those codes.

Old 07-16-2023, 02:35 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,883 Likes on 11,606 Posts

Let’s try this.

1) you run the bike until it’s nearly out of gas.
2) You add gas from a can that you happened to have on hand.
3) Now it doesn’t run right…

Check the fuel filter. Then drain the gas, and put in fresh top tier premium gas directly from a pump.

Then for good measure, add a fuel system cleaner like Techron.