Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do ya'll determine good exhaust for a bagger? (Stage 1)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 01:35 PM
FarmerTeds
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do ya'll determine good exhaust for a bagger? (Stage 1)

It seems hard to compare just watching youtube videos listening to the different exhausts.

2001 Ultra Classic. I'm doing a stage 1 upgrade, already ordered the big sucker from arlen ness. Not sure how to tell the best exhausts.
I am interested in doing a stage 2 in the future, but this will be a while in the future. Want something that'll work good now and then without blowing thousands.

I read that some exhausts are better at low RPM, and others high. I would be more interested in low-end torque than high end. I plan on doing a lot of backroads/two lane highway riding for long distance. On the interstate, probably about 75, so my RPMs won't be very high besides accelerating.
Looking for loud, but good hearty harley sound. Still want to hear my radio at higher speeds, looking at the hogtunes kit.

Recommendations are definitely welcome, but this question is more of just wondering how to compare different exhausts to see which ones will work better with your goals. Seems like most of them are good. Also, which ones work for stage 1? From my understanding, stage 1 is supposed to increase engine efficiency from air cleaner, exhaust, and tune. I'm sure all exhausts aren't better than stock. How do you compare performance?

Also, people say they do a stage 1 with slipons. I though slipons were purely for show/sound. Why would you need to tune that, and how would that give the improvements that stage 1 claims to give?

Last edited by FarmerTeds; 07-13-2023 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 01:46 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

I would first research what style you like, then listen to sound clips on Youtube and in person if you can. and then inquire about the performance. FuelMoto has a great data base of dyno charts HERE that has many different exhaust, "stage 1" combinations and combinations with cams and even big bore kits. So you can probably find an exhaust you like and compare its' performance to others there.

Personally I think 2-1 and 2-1-2 systems will give you the best looking, sounding and performance you're after. and with a setup like that they'll work great for both as is on the bike and with cams later.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 07-13-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 01:52 PM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,362 Likes on 1,601 Posts

FWIW - I started with Rhinehart slip ons with a stage one on my ‘16 FLHTK 103”.

Then jumped to a110” stage IV and kept them on. They work fine. Not real loud. But certainly throaty.

And I had the builder de-cat the stock duals.

Old 07-13-2023, 01:53 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,220 Likes on 2,249 Posts

I’ll preface this with the typical “I’m not an expert” disclaimer.
I had stock crossover headers w/ Monster Ovals on my ‘06. It sounded great. Deep tone but not super loud.
I had true-dual Rineharts on my ‘07. Sounded fine, “loud” under acceleration, but quiet enough at low RPM to not be considered “offensive”.
I now have a full, true dual Bassani setup.
Much better sound than the Rineharts, and the headers fit a lot better. It’s loud. Probably offensively so. The first long ride I took with them had my ears ringing at the end of the day, and I wear a full face w/BT tunes.

A 2-1 system definitely has performance gains on low end torque. True duals offer better performance at higher RPMs.

Budget seems to be the driving force, as there is certainly no shortage of “cheap mods” like drilling out the cat, adding cones/lollipops, or blocking off the crossover in stock headers to get the results people are looking for.

If I ever buy another exhaust for my bike, it will definitely be a 2-1 setup.

Good luck with your search/choice.

Old 07-13-2023, 01:58 PM
FarmerTeds
Advanced

I appreciate the responses.

How would a 2-1-2 compare to a 2-1? I like the look of duals, but if 2-1 would perform noticeably better at low-end then it seems like that's the one I need to go with.

Old 07-13-2023, 02:03 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,834 Likes on 2,275 Posts

I look at ground clearance, then performance then sound.

Your 2001 doesn't have the cat, so that's not an issue.

Fuel injected or carb?

If doing it all at once, okay. If trying to buy something now, to fit a later build, you may have issues. Perhaps you need to look at the used exhausts and later buy new to matchthe cam, AC and pipes for your build.

Old 07-13-2023, 02:06 PM
FarmerTeds
Advanced

Fuel injected.
I've considered that, don't quite know enough about it though. I thought as the stages progressed, you kept the upgrades from the previous stages. I guess people that do stage 1 with the intent of continuing go ahead and plan what they're going to do in the further stages and know what cam and all they're going to get?

Old 07-13-2023, 03:32 PM
RKdarkhorse
Stage II
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FarmerTeds
Fuel injected.
I've considered that, don't quite know enough about it though. I thought as the stages progressed, you kept the upgrades from the previous stages. I guess people that do stage 1 with the intent of continuing go ahead and plan what they're going to do in the further stages and know what cam and all they're going to get?
People normally do progress through the various stages with what has been added prior. I had a Rinehart system on my Indian and really liked the "throaty, deep rumble". I am likely putting them on my new Road King too.

Old 07-13-2023, 03:44 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,290 Likes on 4,451 Posts

IMHO......

The general rule of thumb; 2-1 is good for low-end torque, true duals look/sound better but make slightly less power than 2-1 exhaust. The 2-1-2 is in between the two.

However, I don't think that at a Stage One or with a bolt-in cam, you would feel a seat-of-the-pants difference between all three types, if they had a proper tune.

If you are chasing dyno numbers, or have a pretty stout build (Stage IV and up), I would get a good 2-1 exhaust for max performance...

I love it when people say that a 2-1 exhaust make a Harley look like a Japanese import bike... I used to think the same way, until I developed an interest in older, classic HD motorcycles..

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
2500hdon37s (07-13-2023), lionsm13 (07-15-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 03:52 PM
FarmerTeds
Advanced

Sort of going along with Goose_NC's post,

How much difference is there between cams and exhaust? Maybe exhausts aren't as plug-and-play as I thought. If I get a good set of exhausts from a company like V&H or Rinehart, (Bassani and the like are too expensive, really don't want to fork $1500 for exhaust right now) would it work well when I do a stage 2 as well? I'd figure with the stage 2, I would still have the same goal in mind. Improved efficiency, and good low-end torque. Could I get exhaust that accommodates that now, and would accommodate it again after stage 2 with another tune?

Or would it just be best to hold off until l do a stage 2 entirely. Go straight from 0 to 2. I already have the air cleaner ordered and on the way.

The following users liked this post:
Traildale (07-15-2023)

Quick Reply: How do ya'll determine good exhaust for a bagger? (Stage 1)