Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do ya'll determine good exhaust for a bagger? (Stage 1)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 04:02 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Well, the first thing I would do is, find out how you are going to tune the engine for the performance your looking for. You have the old, "no support from the factory" fuel injection system. It will be hard to find anyone who even remembers how to work on them. In 2002, Harley changed the FI mfgr they were using. And the Morrelli brand was dropped. They had minimal tuning abilities at best back then. If your planning on changing the air cleaner, and exhaust without tuning the engine, it will probably pop and backfire more than you will like. If you add cams to that combo, it more than likely run worse than it did stock. Do some research on whats available tune wise, before you spend a fortune and end up disappointed.,,,

The following users liked this post:
Traildale (07-15-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 04:40 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Well, the first thing I would do is, find out how you are going to tune the engine for the performance your looking for. You have the old, "no support from the factory" fuel injection system. It will be hard to find anyone who even remembers how to work on them. In 2002, Harley changed the FI mfgr they were using. And the Morrelli brand was dropped. They had minimal tuning abilities at best back then. If your planning on changing the air cleaner, and exhaust without tuning the engine, it will probably pop and backfire more than you will like. If you add cams to that combo, it more than likely run worse than it did stock. Do some research on whats available tune wise, before you spend a fortune and end up disappointed.,,,
DynoJet still supports the 97-01 efi bikes with the MM efi systems with both the Powercommaner 5 and 6 models. That allows the user to download programming and make adjustments themselves as well as most dyno tuners are familiar with tuning via the DynoJet software so finding a competent dyno tuner shouldn't be a problem for him.

Old 07-13-2023, 05:02 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,298 Likes on 2,902 Posts

I went to bike nights, bike weeks etc. and listened to different bikes. Talked to the owners of what I liked.

Old 07-13-2023, 05:08 PM
Black Ultra
Road Master
Received 600 Likes on 314 Posts

For comparing sound, find a local bike night, rally or even a busy dealership and go listen to bikes. If you hear something you like, go find out what it is. I haven't found many bikers who aren't willing to talk about their bike.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:09 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

The op didn't mention what, if any tuner he was planning to use. I just looked up which power commander would be usable for his bike. It looks like the Power commander 5, is the only one that will work with his bike. The 6 is listed for newer bikes with Delphi injection. Either way he'll need something to get the most out of his engine.,,

Old 07-14-2023, 11:58 AM
mike131
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 413 Posts

I have a thunderheader on my 07 flhx, love it sounds mean!

Last edited by mike131; 07-14-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:06 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I went to bike nights, bike weeks etc. and listened to different bikes. Talked to the owners of what I liked.
That's my suggestion as well.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:25 AM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 202 Likes on 143 Posts

Big Cahuna, when I ordered my PC5 from Fuelmoto, they called me to tell me the PC5 was discontinued, and gave me the PC6 for the same price. Just a FYI.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:13 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

I guess you can't believe everything you read on the interweb. I checked the other day and where I looked said the 6, was intended for newer models and wouldn't work for a '01, and the 5 was what was needed. I hope when the op gets his bike all done, he posts up on how it's running.,,

Old 07-15-2023, 11:33 PM
Traildale
Tourer
Received 239 Likes on 116 Posts

As mentioned, OP better sort out how he’s going to tune the bike, if thats even possible if all the potential tuners have been discontinued.
And before that, determine if the cam chain tensioners have been upgraded to the hydraulic tensioners. That needs attention before pipes and such.
If all that sorts out, then the head pipe has no CAT so thats fine for now. For slip ons, look at the internal baffles. Those with the rifled cheese grater design help the most with anti-reversion, so that you don’t lose what low and mid-range torque you have. Straight through and perforated baffles do nothing to stop reversion (negative sound waves traveling back up the pipe and prevention the full evacuation of the burned exhaust from the cylinder) from hurting your low/mid torque.

Quick Reply: How do ya'll determine good exhaust for a bagger? (Stage 1)