Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUDS PIPES SAVE LIVES ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:56 AM
LOU
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LOUDS PIPES SAVE LIVES ???

Both times I have T-boned autos they have made a left turn right in front of me ~ not fun! Loud pipes had nothing to do with my visibilityor the drivers paying attention.I run Reinhart True Duals and love them butI am mindfulof my neighbors and residential streets.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:10 PM
LeeFLHX
Advanced

Nick,

It is true Denver just passed an ordinance that singles out bikes and not other vehicles. Imagine, not being able to go to Midas or whoever and have a non OEM muffler installed on your car. That is basically the jist of the new Denver ordinance. UFB. It is prejudice against bikers to say the least.

My 07 FLHX is probably the most sublime mufflered bike I have ever owned. With my setup, it is louder than stock and much louder if I hit the throttle to get someone's attention.

I believe that loud pipes do save lives. Rev the engine on many a ride to get the attention of the moron, soccer mom, etc., not paying attention to the road, talking on the cell phone, etc., and to start paying attention to me.

Hopefully, the police have better things to do than enforce such BS ordinances. Heck, my lawn tractor makes more noise than my Harley if I'm being politewith the throttle. Is that next................

Besides, how bout the punks with the huge woofers in the back of their cars vibrating the heck out of you at a stop light? Don't see them getting pulled over too often.

Lee

[quote]ORIGINAL: NICK56

[size=4]Shhhh! U.S. cities ask bikers to muffle their motorcycles

By EMILY FREDRIX,[/align]AP[/align]Posted: 2007-08-22 14:35:18[/align]
[font="courier new"][color=#000000]MILWAUKEE (AP) - Cities from New York to Denver are giving motorcyclists the silent treatment.

And that worries riders rights groups, which fear that a wave of ordinances aimed at muffling Harley-Davidsons, hushing Hondas and stifling Suzukis will create a confusing patchwork of laws that motorcyclists will not be able to navigate. The motorcycle industry is concerned it could turn these frustrated riders away.

"From our perspective, this creates enormous problems for us because people notice the one motorcycle that makes a lot of noise," said Bill Wood, spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association. "They don't notice the 50 that pass that don't. So there's a perception that motorcycles are noisy."

Ordinances come in many forms. Some are against certain types of products - like mufflers that would rattle the apples off of trees - while others are aimed more on the intent of the driver, who may want to turn some heads or rile up the neighbors on a Sunday afternoon.

As of July 1, riders in New York City are subject to a minimum $440 (euro326) fine for having a muffler or exhaust system that can be heard within 200 feet (61 meters).

In Lancaster, Pennsylvania, starting this month riders - and all motor vehicle drivers - could be ticketed for drawing attention to themselves, whether by creating too much noise by revving their engines or doing hard accelerations. Tickets start at $150 (euro111).

As of July 1, motorcyclists in Denver could be ticketed $500 (euro370) for putting mufflers on their bikes made by someone other than the original manufacturer, if the bike is 25 years old or less. These so-called after-market products can be louder than their manufacturer-made counterparts.

Denver's plan is unique because it targets the after-market equipment. Wood said it limits riders' freedom to choose what products to use. Many motorcyclists who need to replace parts use these products, rather than go to a dealer, which can be more expensive, Wood said.

Ordinances restricting motorcycle noise have been around for years. The American Motorcyclist Association does not track the numbers of such ordinances and often only hears about t

Old 08-24-2007, 01:39 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: VicDawg

Just so we know where I'm coming from I've never run stock pipes longer than 500 miles or so .... can't stand'em! But, if the loud pipes theory is correct all them Goldwing riders are in deep sh*t cause them bikes are quiet.
That's what we found... MY bike** in front = deer running out about 50 yards ahead. My brother-in-law's GW out front = deer running out about 50 yards ahead - of ME. Right around HIM.

I rode point the rest of the week...

** My bike at the time was a Honda Sabre with RH65 pipes. "Sort of" loud - Not "nasty" by any means. But the critters new you were on your way...

Speaking of deer - Anyone linked to this yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6VS6qsLJeY

Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM
txphoneman
Novice

I love driving my Ultra and listning to the radio. Thus I have stock pipes, a nice radio and CB and a comfortable touring bike. However I do have a MiniBeast Horn that even I have moved a Greyhound bus over with. He would have never heard any loud pipes.
I hate being on a group ride all day with some jerk in front of me beliving in loud pipes and I can't even enjoy my ride.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:06 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,738 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Now that this is cleared up.[&:]...we should discuss oil brands.[8D]