Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUDS PIPES SAVE LIVES ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
bonz50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LOUDS PIPES SAVE LIVES ???

ORIGINAL: Homebrew101

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

ORIGINAL: JohnScrip

Anybody who doesn't think that (reasonably) loud pipes save lives has never had loud pipes. People don't pay attention to horns honking - But when they hear something that sounds like a machine-gun popping off a few rounds, they take notice.

Along with critterdom -- The first set of reasonably loud** pipes I ever put on a bike was to "get the attention" of deer, wolves and other larger fauna. And it worked like a charm (to the point that it was *insisted upon* that I stayed in front of the quieter bikes).

** Reasonably loud = Not screaming "HEY - LOOK HOW LOUD I CAN GET MY BIKE!!!!" but enough to make the raccoons run when you crack the throttle a bit.
Only problem with the "Loud pipes save lives idea" is the vast majority of cars these days are very quite inside, add a/c and a radio at a moderate level and anything short of a fire siren and they are not going to hear it, so most times having loud pipes do little or nothing to prevent a mishap.
What timing this is. There is a letter to the editor in the Harley Enthusiast mag I just got yesterday on page 11 where a 30 year rider and ABATE member mentions being in a car with the windows up, air conditioner on and radio at a comfortable volume and they noticed that they couldn't hear any of the over 50 Harleys that they encountered because the vehicle's sound deadoning features.
i guess we need louder pipes then huh??? hehe

Old 08-23-2007, 04:23 PM
bonz50
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Empath

Unless your riding BACKWARDS most of your exhaust noise goes out the back! If you don't believe me stand next to a highway and check it out yourself. Loud pipes are loud to the people following you, not to the people in front of you.
this is complete hosrehockey, not 2 weeks ago i was driving down a road by us, speed limit was 55mph, i had my windows down enjoying a nice day and i could hear piped up bikes heading toward me from over 100ft away... and this was not in a residential area, it was near a bunch of trees and such... if you truly believe that then youve bought into their propoganda

Old 08-23-2007, 04:42 PM
ToadsUltra07
Cruiser

Interesting,

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2097699/tm.htm

ToadsUltra07
"If yah feel froggy, JUMP!"

Old 08-23-2007, 05:38 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How many do you think drive with their window down? Very few. Loud pipes do not save lives. If it does it is a very small %. Paying attention, knowing how to and when to avoid a problem saves more lives than loud pipes ever will. I am against any bill that reulates what we can/not buy for our bikes. Ride like one should with respect and you will not be bothered. Alabama does NOT have a anti noise law. I love it.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:45 PM
jack49
Road Captain

I've never run stock pipes on any of my bikes,but you've got to admit there are
riders that are making it tough on us. I've got a neighbor with straights on his bike,
and he will sit in his driveway and rev the **** out of his bike,for ten minutes at a time.
I don't know what's keeping that motor together,but I'am hoping the thing detonates.
Loud pipes are fine,but reving the **** out of them, won't make your dick grow.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Empath

Unless your riding BACKWARDS most of your exhaust noise goes out the back! If you don't believe me stand next to a highway and check it out yourself. Loud pipes are loud to the people following you, not to the people in front of you.
I understand your reasoning, Empath, but it just ain't so. I've had several cars begin to change lanes when I was apparently in their blind spot, onlyto snap back to their lane when they hear me. I can even see car's react if I rev the engine as I pass them -- they move over more. I used to not be a believer, but I am now. I'm running Rinehart TD's with the quiet baffles, so I'm doing what I can to make things a little quieter both for me and those around me. I've had several bikers, and a couple of cars, tell me how good the bike sounds, so not sure it's too noisy. Anyway, JMHO.

Tater

Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

The problem is that has been stated is that the people that are causing the problem are the ones that have to rev the bike at the lights and race from stop light to stop light of go through the neighborhood as fast as they can .Their is a time and place. Just use common sense

Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Ultrathunder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has there owntake on loud Pipes, as for me, Iknow of 3 times if I didnt have louder pipes than stock I wouldnt be here today.My 2 cents are Cagers on cell phones is a bigger problem,,I would like to Suggest, if you like , or dislike loud pipes, I side on the Right to chose same as Helmets.With the world today and people out there who want to tell M/C riders what to do, when they dont ride, More Bikers should get involved with their Local Chapters Of ABATE and stand for our right to chose,,,, ok,, I am off the soap Box

Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

The only problem with the "right to choose"argument is that not wearing a helmet has potential impact only upon the person who chooses not to wear one.....choosing loud pipes impacts on anyone within earshot.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 PM
VicDawg
Cruiser

Just so we know where I'm coming from I've never run stock pipes longer than 500 miles or so .... can't stand'em! But, if the loud pipes theory is correct all them Goldwing riders are in deep sh*t cause them bikes are quiet.

Quick Reply: LOUDS PIPES SAVE LIVES ???