Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only SYN3 will not impact your warranty, Says Harley Enthusiast Newsletter

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:03 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Only SYN3 will not impact your warranty, Says Harley Enthusiast Newsletter

I'd like to once again point out that nowhere on a Harley oil container does it tell you what the rating is, so they can always say you didn't use an "equivalent" oil, as none of us know what the equivalent oil is.

And, the reference to diesel oil in the manual states this, "If it is necessary to add oil and Harley-Davidson oil is not available..."

The last sentence of the page says, "At the first opportunity, see an authorized dealer to change back to 100 percent Harley-Davidson oil."

They cover their asses good.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Only SYN3 will not impact your warranty, Says Harley Enthusiast Newsletter

ORIGINAL: petemac

I just went out to my garage and changed my Redline oil for Syn3.

Thank you MOCO!
Now get on your knees and bow to the gods! (of course you'll get it in the rearend at the same time!)[:-]

Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

That's right !! they can't do that. As long as it meets (or exeeds) OE specs.
My question is, who really makes syn3?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: byersmtrco

Syn3 is reportedly made by Citgo. So Hugo gets a piece of the pie for every quart of Syn3 sold.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
0204665J
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the article today as well. I did not like it and replied back. It is very however very commonplace in other buiness practices. Using the choice words of "impact your warranty" presents to the casual reader for them to believe their warranty would be invalidatated if they use any other oil. This is exactly what they want most reader to think. They do this without using the wording of "void the warranty" which of course they cannot do. When you think tabout it there are many of these types of comments Harley says to it customers to protect their warranty as it is a large part of their expenditures.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:19 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: dstockton

ORIGINAL: byersmtrco

Syn3 is reportedly made by Citgo. So Hugo gets a piece of the pie for every quart of Syn3 sold.
I think its Conoco that makes Syn3, but who knows because it could change being it was a contract bid that went to the lowest bidder who would meet their packaging requirements. This is what I read on the Amsoil site,I think, but could be amsoil propaganda I guess.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt HD have to post what the oil specs must be to meet or exceed oem requirements?

Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

It was just a couple short years ago that all Harley literature lambasted synthetic oil. Suddenly, Harleyhad their own, and now it's okay to use. H'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: StreetglideOK

Doesnt HD have to post what the oil specs must be to meet or exceed oem requirements?
If you can find'em, let the rest of us know!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear Syn 3 is made in trees by Elves, just hearsay I say

Quick Reply: Only SYN3 will not impact your warranty, Says Harley Enthusiast Newsletter