Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only SYN3 will not impact your warranty, Says Harley Enthusiast Newsletter

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Only SYN3 will not impact your warranty, Says Harley Enthusiast Newsletter

I just want to know what they respond with (if they even do), and second if they retract that statement on the next issue (lawyers may have something to say about this)..

Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Only SYN3 will not impact your warranty, Says Harley Enthusiast Newsletter

Obviously that rag is for the ignorant masses. Had it not been for this forum and others alike I'm sure most of us would've fallen for their BS too. I thought I'd read previously that SYN 3 is the MoCo's oil (contracted out) so that they have an "in" to the synthetic market. Just as most stealers will tell you anything but SE pipes (installed by them), or SERT, etc. will void the warranty: they want you to buy their product - not a competitors. That's fine. Just don't try force-feeding that **** down our throats![:'(]

Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Blackisfast
Tourer

Finally...a real use for a RUB. Any *lawyers* out there reading this nonsense?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM
gwcrim
Tourer

F Harley Davidson.
[hr]

Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Impact & Void may have different meanings. What if you have a claim, that they think is related to the oil. Whether it is or isn't won't matter. While you are waiting for them to approve the claim. A rider with the same issue who verifiably had SYN3 might just get fixed well ahead of you.

Obviously they have to prove that your oil did it. But only after you take them to court.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I wondered about that little word game myself. They stopped short of saying it would "void" the warranty, only that it would "impact" the warranty. I guess we'd have to know what their definition of "impact" was before we could reallycry foul.

Kinda like Billy Klinton with his: "That would depend on what the meaning of the word "is" is. [:@]

Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

I just read this BS in the new Harley Enthusiast magizine in the Letters to the Editor section. This was a answer to a question posed by a so called rider on which lube to use. The Editors answer was this;
SYN3 is the ONLY Synthetic motor oil that does not impact your 24 month unlimited mile factory warranty.- ED

I just sent him this ;
I just read your answer to "Which Lube" in my new HarleyEnthusiast. I beg to differ with your answer where you say SYN3 is the only synthetic oil that will not impact your 24 month warranty. This is pure hog wash, excuse the pun, Any oil or anysynthetic oil that meets the requirements laid down in my owners manual can be used and under the warranty laws of the USA can not impact my warranty. Many of us knowledgeable riders will readyour reply and you will loose all creditability with us as a source for true and un biased information unless you follow up this mistake with the true and correct information. David

Mis information like this put out there from the people like this that should know better could cause some to have warranty claims trouble down the road. If you think this is BS like I do, send him your opinion too.

send to; EnthusiastEditor@pcspeed.com
[/align]
I may drop them a note myself, as they may be walking a tightrope with their position on that issue. The Magnuson-Moss Act states that if they dictate for owners to use their products during the warranty period to keep the warranty in place they must provide these products free. In this case, it seems to me they are saying Syn3 is the only one that won't impact the warranty, then anything else will impact it. So what is their definition of "impact"? They're not saying they will deny a warranty claim if you use something else, just that Syn3 is the only one that won't impact it. That might be the legal loophole, allowing them to encourage sales of the their average but overpriced engine fluids. I'm sure the wording is very calculated, as they aren't actually saying any other brand of oil will void the warranty. Very, very cloudy, however.

As for the info in the manual, they don't specifically dictate that you use only HD oil, but that "if it is necessary to add oil and H-D oil is not available, use an oil certified for diesel engines." The problem is that diesel-rated oil is hard to find in conventional places, like discount and auto-parts stores, and 20w50 is even more scarce. Diesel oil is most-commonly 15w40, which out of HD specs for all but cold weather. I know that Mobil 1, Redline, and Amsoil 20w50 are all CF-rated. Royal Purple 20w50 is both CF- and CF4-rated--which brings us to yet one more nebulous statement: "Acceptable diesel engine oil designations include: CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, and CI-4." By saying "include" in that context they aren't actually saying CF isn't included. If you read this to mean that only CF-4 is acceptable and go looking for a 20w50 CF4-rated oil at your local auto-parts store, you may never find what you're looking for, that is unless you happen to run across some Royal Purple.

Everyone here knows that any of the brands mentioned above are superb lubricants for HD motors, so that isn't the issue here. The issue is HD and their highly calculated and purposefully cloudy statements about oil to lure or scare you into using their products, yet not get themselves into any legal hot water.

Is there anyone who would bet a beer that we'll see any of these emails in future issues of The Enthusiast ?

Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They may publish a "clarification" but you can bet your *** they won't publish any of these letters.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

I just went out to my garage and changed my Redline oil for Syn3.

Thank you MOCO!
The Moco saved your *** again, Pete.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, and I thank them every day.

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: petemac

I just went out to my garage and changed my Redline oil for Syn3.

Thank you MOCO!
The Moco saved your *** again, Pete.

Quick Reply: Only SYN3 will not impact your warranty, Says Harley Enthusiast Newsletter