Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg Oil Cooler, Good,Bad or Ugly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Boxer Harley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jagg Oil Cooler, Good,Bad or Ugly?

Due to the heat issues with my 07 SG 103 stage 2. I'm thinking of installing the Jagg oil cooler. I've heard all the issue that the oil cooler isn't going to work when stopped. However, my thought process on that is atleast the oil will be cooler when I come to a stop. Right!
I live in Austin Texas where the temps get up there, and mylower bodyfeels likeitis in a BBQ. It makes ridding uncomfortable at times.
For those that have installed are you happy? was the install easy? Any tips?
Are there bettercoolers on the market? Price and Quality?
I'm already running Amsoil in all 3 holes and have had the SERT with Dyno.
Any feed back would be great.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:13 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jagg Oil Cooler, Good,Bad or Ugly?

have had a Jagg cooler (from Dennis Kirk) for two years on my 05 RKC. would not run without one inFl in the summer.
Be sure you get the one with a thermostat. Some may not like the downtube mount but I feel it is less likely to get trash or rocks thrown into it than the ones mounted below the front of the engine.
There is more cooling when stopped just from convection (like a radiator in a house).
Do a search here - there are many posts about oil coolers with a lot of good info.
Not a difficult install either.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

i wonder about the oil cooler in cooler temps 30's,40's or 50's

Old 08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil coolers on bikes work when the bike is moving. If the bike is idling, there is no benefit from an oil cooler, unless there has been a fan installed to move air throught the cooler. Harley has choosedn to mount the cooler low on towurin gbikes, so as to not compromise the "look" of the package.

A good Synthetic oil, richer fule to the engine, and true duals will allow the bike to run cooler.

Good Luck

Ride Em Carry Em

Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 PM
sheldong
Intermediate

i'm running amsoil, jagg 10 roll oil cooler, Rinehart TD, Tmax w/AT, AFR of 13.4 on a 2007 103ci and I running hot as hell 270-290 in traffic and 250-265 on open road. I got the tw6-6 cams, big sucker 2. I just don't get it. any help ? I monitoring head temp thru a digital speedo that lets me see several of the sensors.
any advise would be appreciated.

-sheldon
512-779-6994

Old 08-23-2007, 12:42 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the oil temperatures running?

Thank You

Ride Em Carry Em

Old 08-23-2007, 01:17 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,729 Likes on 1,259 Posts

I got the Jag with t-stat, easy install...cheap insurance. I also added mud flap to front fender to divert road trash. I am happy with it, been on bike 10,000 miles now with no issues.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been running a Jagg Deluxe on the frame rail since at least 2002, maybe 2001. In fact, if you look closely at the wheelie pic in my sig photo, you can see the cooler. I do not use to one with the thermostat. I have a cover that goes on the unit when it's cold out... However, in TX, it's not cold too often...

In response tothe "cooler doesn't work when stopped" comments.... that's kinda true / kinda not true.... My experience has been that the cooler reduces oil temps right at 30 degrees F. If you've been riding and moving air arcoss the cooler, and then you get into traffic or stop, the oil in your sump is 30 degeres cooler right from the start. Surethe temp isgonna rise while you're stopped, but you're 30 degress better than you would have been w/o the cooler. Just my (somethines worthless) opinion....

Old 08-23-2007, 01:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boxer Harley
Due to the heat issues with my 07 SG 103 stage 2. I'm thinking of installing the Jagg oil cooler. I've heard all the issue that the oil cooler isn't going to work when stopped.
It does work through convection, but not as efficiently as when air is flowing through it, and the faster the better up to a point.

However, my thought process on that is atleast the oil will be cooler when I come to a stop. Right!
Right.

For those that have installed are you happy? was the install easy? Any tips? Are there bettercoolers on the market? Price and Quality?
Remember that all SE 103's and 110's had oil coolers installed from the factory, or at least later models did.

I installed the HD Premium with thermostat, which has worked very well so far. I removed the chrome cover to aid in convection cooling while stopped and moving slowly. Jaggs are fine, but a friend has had trouble with two of their oil-filter thermostat adapters--one wouldn't open and the other opened too soon. He finally gave up and nixed the thermostat, but if you do that you should cover it while warming up, especially in winter. The oil warms up slowly on air-cooled bikes anyway, and there's no point in making matters worse by slowing the process. If you buy the Jagg with a thermostat, check the operation of the 'stat with an oil-temp gauge. You can also tell when oil starts flowing through it when it is very hot on the intake end of the cooler but cooler on the outlet end.

I'm already running Amsoil in all 3 holes and have had the SERT with Dyno. Any feed back would be great.
You should be set after the cooler is installed. Install an HD or Jagg 10-row low-mount, then if that isn't enough install another one in-line on the downtubes. I was going to fit a second cooler but have decided oil temperature is under control here. It settles at 200-205° while moving and has hit 230° twice in heavy traffic so far this summer. I'd like to see it peak a bit lower, but as long as it doesn't go any higher and doesn't go there frequently I'm okay with it. My turbocharged car runs 200° normally, up to about 230° max, and it also has a cooler. Its thermostat is set for 225° while the HD is 180°.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:51 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I put the fairly new Jagg 10 row lowmount on and it significantly lowered temps while moving. 07 Stage 1 Ultra. Got it from https://www.mandmcycles.com/homepage.htmbut there is someone on this forum that may give you a better deal.

Quick Reply: Jagg Oil Cooler, Good,Bad or Ugly?