Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT Install, Dealer Say's......

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007 | 07:46 AM
bowhnter7
|
Banned
Default SERT Install, Dealer Say's......

I ordered my AC, pipes and SERT online. Installed the pipes and AC myself. I know I need the dyno for the SERT, I also need my 1K service. So I took it in last night for those things. I didn't even open the box for the tuner, just took it in with the bike. I was under the assumption that it was just a device to up load tuning ajustment to the ECM. I didn't think there was really anything to "install". Dealer say's he needs .3 hours to "install" the tuner then the 2 hours of dyno to set it. What was inside that box I didn't open and is there anything to install? Did I get software? Should I ask what "map" they used? Should I be getting any info back from them on what they set the tuner to?

Old 08-23-2007 | 08:11 AM
bowhnter7
|
Banned
Default RE: SERT Install, Dealer Say's......

I found this in a thread. Sounds like there may be a module to install.

to get the most control over your motorcycle. Buy the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. SERT.

The SERT is an interface module that allows you to connect with your Harleys computer. It allows you to modify the fuel and ignition mapping that the engine runs on.

The links below are to scans from one of the leading Mag's articles on the fuel injection of the Harley.

The SERT will come with an interface module that marries itself to the motorcycle ECM. It can't be used on any other ECM after you connect the first time. It comes with a cable that goes from the ECM to the interface module. It also has software that will run on a personal computer or laptop. This software allows you to read and write the modified data to the ecm.

You do not leave the SERT connected after you do the modifications

Old 08-23-2007 | 08:13 AM
nelsonrl
Cruiser

The "install" consists of connecting to a cable on the ECM, connecting that cable to the SERT then a cable from the other side of the SERT to their computer and downloading the maps or tuning. No parts are actually left on the bike - when you pick your ride up you should have a CD, two cables and a black box with the Screamin Eagle logo on it handed to you. If not ask for all three.

Dyno is probably a good idea. You should ask for the "map" they used

Old 08-23-2007 | 08:38 AM
bowhnter7
|
Banned

Should there be a manual with it?

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:02 AM
nelsonrl
Cruiser

Manual is a pdf on the CD.

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:09 AM
turbo54
Road Master

I got the module cd thats it . It took 1 day pluse some but I knew it would be different for tuneing because my MM efi and ecm would trash the PC 3. Set up I bet is pushing the bike on the dino and hooking the cables up. It may be easey with the delph EFI.

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:31 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain

He most likely wont get the cables .... The newer SERTS come with the black box(aka SERT) and the CD.... Cables are ordered extra nowadays.... Make sure you have them give you a copy of your "map" or program on CD when you get the bike back. That way you have a copy of the program and any changes they did while dynoing the bike incase you ever have to reload it or have it redyno'd again by someone else.

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:34 AM
LOU
Cruiser

The dealer charged me .5 hours for the SERT labor install; then said to try riding it without doing the dyno first (to save me $$). The combination of True Duals, Big Sucker and SERT are done so often it seems he has this combination down. Still has not been in for a dyno and runs great with no issues.

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:52 AM
bowhnter7
|
Banned

I am sure they want to do the dyno, they get $100 an hour with a 2 hour min. I would be suprised if they would offer up that info, maybe I should call em and ask.

Old 08-23-2007 | 11:00 AM
HD Jake
Road Warrior

Make sure you get your black box back also, some dealers "Forget" to give it back to you... It does not do them any good, it is married to your Bike by ECM and Vin now, but it will help you as you tinker and do engine mods

Quick Reply: SERT Install, Dealer Say's......