Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine balancing with Balance Masters

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 AM
harleyhog
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine balancing with Balance Masters

I have an 02 RK with 35,000 95" .034 Head Quarters cam stock heads. I've notice a slight vibratioin at about 2500-3200 rpm seems to smooth out more running higher rpm from 3500-4500. I'ts been like this for a while, doesn't seem to get worse but you can feel the vibration through the floor boards the most. Iknow other post have talked about the same thing. My question is has anyone ever tried the Balance Master active balancing system... I was thinking of trying it on my compensator. Anyone have experience with this? Is it worth the money or just a waste of time?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Engine balancing with Balance Masters

Welcome to the FORUM!!

Not that I am any expert, but I had an issue like this with my 98 FXDWG. Let me ask you, is this just at the RPM range you talked about? Does this vibrate when you rev it up at idle to the 2500rpm range? If so, have you checked your top motor mount (between the jugs) to see if it doesn't have any slop in it? Just my $.02, but I would think if it was a compensator it would get worse in the higher RPM range, not better. To answer your question though, I have not used or heard of anyone using the Balance master Active Balancing system.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:30 AM
1mrbill
Cruiser

I've put Balance Master on 2 bikes, a '94 Softail, and a '98 Fatboy, both solid mount engines. They work to a degree. They do not eliminate all the "buzz" in footboards or handlebars. I have not had any experience using them on a rubber mount. I filled the Fatboy handle bars with silicone to help the vibes there. I'm thinking maybe a 30% reduction with B-M.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Balance Masters was developed for the old sporty to help reduce the vibe. later expanded to cover the "Big Twin". You are not going to eliminate the vibe for a 45 degree twin, it's the nature of the beast. You can reduce but not eliminate.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might wanna check & see if the front headpipe or shield can contact the floorbd or mount in the slightest way. This can show up at certain RPMs and will drive ya nutz.

If it's jsut normal vibes, then you might consider a set of the MoCo's floorbd inserts ~ the ones with various chrome trim. The inserts have softer rubber inserts that isolate (insulate) the vibes to some degree.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:38 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one on my wifes sporty. Couldn't tell any difference

Old 08-23-2007, 03:10 PM
harleyhog
5th Gear

Thanks for the input. I was thinking it's probably a waste of time. I will look into the floorboard pads and see what they have available.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:48 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a look at their site. While I agree it would/could be beneficial for a wheel assembly, or any other situation where the imbalanced thing was on the same side of the bearing as the balancing device, I can't help but think it would be almost the most unwise thing to do to put the device on the other side of a bearing from the loads imposed by the imbalance. They did mention the device could be added directly to the flywheel/crank while in the process of building an engine and for that setup I'd think there could hardly be anything better on the planet. I would never stick one out on the compensator. Never.