Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros and cons of saddlebag lid bras

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts
Default pros and cons of saddlebag lid bras

My 04 had those chrome guards on the lids but mama always seemed to mark 'em up somehow anyway. The new scoot doesn't have the chrome lid guards. What are folks thoughts on the lid bras?

Old 08-22-2007, 05:21 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: pros and cons of saddlebag lid bras

ever see an auto with a bra?Have owner remove it and see what it does to the paint!use the chrome rails and tell better half to be careful.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lids are gonna get scuffed up no matter how much you try not to. Between you and passengers getting on and off as well as regular opening and closing and other mishaps it is going to be impossible to keep them free of scratches and scuffs. I have the Ridetek LidHaulers on mine. Not even slightly worried about them causing any damage.

On cars with the bras on them it is a little different. Wind is constantly against them making them move around slightly. And cars are exposed to the elements 24/7. Most bikes aren't. So there would be less worry about scratchiong and uneven fading.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use them as you have stated "SAVE THE PAINT" as my Grand Kids & 5' Wife think its a step sometimes

Old 08-22-2007, 05:57 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take 'em off when you wash and put down a proper layer of wax each time, you'll not have to worry about paint fade or sand scratches. Beats the heck out of boot scuffs and scrapes.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Thanks for the post monster, didn't know they existed. Think I'll try me a set of those. Do you know if the lid saks will work with the tourpak or does that get in the way?

Old 08-22-2007, 06:58 PM
PS1222
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lid haulers with the straps.You are not going to get much in there.If I did it over I woul'nt get the bags.Looks better without the straps also.No problems with paint,after 6 yrs.Take off and clean your paint.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: dawg

Thanks for the post monster, didn't know they existed. Think I'll try me a set of those. Do you know if the lid saks will work with the tourpak or does that get in the way?
From what I have heard the bags don't work that good with tour paks. It would still be nice to have the ones with straps for leathers or other things. Don't have to use them just with the bags. Or you can go with the LidCovers which are the same thing without the straps. IMO they look much better than the HD ones.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:02 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Do a search on "clear bra" made by 3M. It is a very tough film made for cars, but I'm sure if they will sell it to a biker. You wash and wax it with your bike and it will last for several years. If it is good enough for a corvette, it is good enough for a Harley.

Beary

Old 08-22-2007, 09:13 PM
AZ HARLEY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: beary

Do a search on "clear bra" made by 3M. It is a very tough film made for cars, but I'm sure if they will sell it to a biker. You wash and wax it with your bike and it will last for several years. If it is good enough for a corvette, it is good enough for a Harley.

Beary
I have the 3M clear covers on the tops and fronts of my bags.Added protection and un-detectable from anything more than a few inches.

Quick Reply: pros and cons of saddlebag lid bras