Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough running engine on ULTRA....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 07:47 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Rough running engine on ULTRA....

The plot thickens (again!)

On the way home today to drop off the bike at the dealer for the 15k scheduled maintenance and diagnosis of the rough idling and vibration at cruising speeds, the Engine Check Lamp came on. I was running about 70mph on the expressway, and did not notice any particular issue other than the engine was running a bit rough, as has been typical. I stopped for gas just before I got to the dealer and when I started back up, the light came back on again. The Service Manager's eyes got REAL BIG when he saw this. Changed his mind about a loose or broken engine mount. So we shall see what this is all about tomorrow...

Old 09-10-2007 | 08:04 PM
daconiam
|
Tourer

Yeap, I wish I had a check engine light come on....lol. I didn't think to check the trouble codes until last Friday, If I would have checked months ago it may have saved me lots of frustration! I'm thinking rough running and vibratingengine = loud 5th gear......

Disclaimer: This assumes that fixing the P0152 code will fix my bike's rough engine.

Old 09-10-2007 | 08:25 PM
burgies08ultra
Cruiser

i took my 08 ultra in for the 1000 mile checkup and complained about the rough idle and lack of power after it gets warmed up...they had a tech look at it, and again it is jumping the timing up from the 8-10 degrees at normal idle to 20 degrees at idle when warmed up... the bike had about 6 codes up when he first went into it, he cleared them all, and got a couple more later on,,, he is supposed to be checking with h-d and i will find out tomorrow hopefully... it runs so good when it first started up in the morning till it gets warmed up...somthing aint right.... will let u know....burgie

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:38 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, talked to the dealer today. Here's the prognosis on my vibration and poor running:

1. Front cylinder spark plug wire "failed", resulting in Engine Check Lamp
2. Front and rear engine mounts *slightly* looser than spec
3. Front tire beginning to cup (15k miles), despite having usable tread

I held off on the tire, but asked him to install SE plug wires and re-torque the engine mounts. I have not ridden it yet (got to dealer to late to pick up), but the tech said that it's pretty smooth now. He suggested that the front tire change would probably take out any lingering vibration, but that there was no pressing need to do it just yet.

I'm eager to ride it tomorrow and see what the results are!

Old 09-16-2007 | 08:26 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Pastor John

OK, talked to the dealer today. Here's the prognosis on my vibration and poor running:

1. Front cylinder spark plug wire "failed", resulting in Engine Check Lamp
2. Front and rear engine mounts *slightly* looser than spec
3. Front tire beginning to cup (15k miles), despite having usable tread

I held off on the tire, but asked him to install SE plug wires and re-torque the engine mounts. I have not ridden it yet (got to dealer to late to pick up), but the tech said that it's pretty smooth now. He suggested that the front tire change would probably take out any lingering vibration, but that there was no pressing need to do it just yet.

I'm eager to ride it tomorrow and see what the results are!
PJ, I'm curious. Did all that solve your problems? Also, how many miles do you usually get on your tires? 15k sounds like a lot to me. Maybe I need to switch to your brand!

Old 09-16-2007 | 11:37 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

For the most part, my problems have been solved. The replacement of the front engine mount and spark plug wire seems to have settled the engine down. I still have some vibration coming up from the front tire, but will replace it soon and that should get me back to normal.

My front tire still has usable tread at 15k miles, but the cupping is causing some vibration so it looks like I have essentially worn it out. My first rear tire lasted 10k miles before replacement, which seems to be typical.

Old 09-17-2007 | 06:21 AM
jlr1125
Advanced

I agree. Why mess with it. Take it to the dealer... it's new!!!

Old 09-17-2007 | 05:16 PM
glide
Road Warrior

Have you seen this TT302

http://www.box.net/shared/53pjye25b7

Old 09-17-2007 | 05:37 PM
daconiam
|
Tourer

Thanks for the TT302.

What is a TT302?

The dealer cleared the code saying it was a loose connection. Must have been cause the code has not come back since, but the rough ride is still there. Got injector cleaner in it right now (second tank but no change).

Old 09-17-2007 | 05:40 PM
daconiam
|
Tourer

How funny. Writing the last post reminded me that I have not looked at the codes in a couple days and yeap, it has returned. P0152, back to the dealer.......[:'(]

Quick Reply: Rough running engine on ULTRA....