Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough running engine on ULTRA....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007 | 09:49 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Rough running engine on ULTRA....

The plot thickens!
I just got back from my dealer where I ordered new spark plug wires thinking that might be the problem. When I described my problems (rough idling, significant vibration at cruising speeds), he suggested that it might be a broken motor mount. He rode it into the service department, and the service manager took a look at it, rode it around the parking lot, and pronounced it to be, in fact, a broken motor mount. "I've seen this in a number of '07 models", he says. Makes me wonder if the change in motor mounts for the '08's is designed to help prevent this problem. In any event, I have a service appointment for Tuesday to take a closer look.

Old 09-08-2007 | 10:15 AM
daconiam
|
Tourer

Pulled the plugs and they look good, no carbon tracking and the tips are clean. I'm headed to get wires and will get some new plugs just to make sure. I looked at the mounts and well....they look like mounts. Unless it was hanging there broken in half I probably could not tell if they were good or bad.
After replacing the stuff and I get another O2 code then I will take it in to the dealer.

Old 09-08-2007 | 01:16 PM
daconiam
|
Tourer

OK. Changed the plugs, wires, and cleared the codes. Still a bucking engine and no codes coming back. Only got a few blocks away before the sky opened up on me.....

Looked at the front rubber motor mount and the only question I have is about the gap under the mount:

The large washer that is under the rubber mount is at least 1/2 inch away from the rubber part of the underside of the mount, is that normal? The nut is not loose and it does not look like the top of the mount is overly compressed. No cracking or bulging of the rubber either.

Old 09-08-2007 | 01:45 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

The washer/nut is supposed to compress the rubber to 15 ft-lb torque. A gap is not correct at all.

Old 09-08-2007 | 04:15 PM
daconiam
|
Tourer

Well took her out for about 50 miles and the P0152 code came back.[:@] Dropping it off at the dealer on Monday. While at the dealers I checked out other motor mounts and they seemed to have about the same gap underneath as mine. I think I guessed to large at 1/2 inch, probably closer to 1/4 inch.

Old 09-08-2007 | 04:28 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

Update us when you/dealer find the problem....Thanks...

Old 09-08-2007 | 09:42 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I took a look at my front motor mount and found it a tad loose; torqued it back up and checked the stabilizers and found them to be OK. Couldn't get to the swingarm mount, so will leave that one up to the dealer to check next week. No improvement to the vibration and rough idling though. I've got this feeling that it's an ignition problem... no good reason to suspect that, but process of elimination seems to be pointing that way.

Old 09-08-2007 | 09:45 PM
daconiam
|
Tourer

Didja check your bike for any trouble codes?

Old 09-08-2007 | 10:31 PM
burgies08ultra
Cruiser

well as i have mentioned in the earlier post that once my 08 with abs is warmed up it too idles \
rough when u pull in on the brake.... today i ran the trouble codes and got a "c1095" but i cant find anything with this code number. is it a new code for the 08"s, anyone know??/
thanks
burgie

Old 09-08-2007 | 10:38 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine on my RKC has been pretty rough lately too (with no trouble codes whatsoever, and the compression is good and even; and it's otherwise running good and strong, consistently making the best mileage I've gotten yet). Didn't ride today but late last night it was the worst it's been. Yesterday had the bike into the dealer for the factory rep to look at it. My only complaint thus far has been that it pulls to the left and the dealer hasn't been able to get it to quit. Since the last time I was there with it (only time back since the 1k service) the rough-running has poked its head out of the hole. I was discussing it with the shop manager while the rep was out riding my bike. When he got back he said it had to be at least at the limit for acceptability for the pull to the left and was going to have the shop go over some things in that regard. He said he also noticed much more engine vibration than he should have and was going to direct the shop to look into that too.

I don't think he knew I've been posting here and in doing so getting accused of being a factory shill. I think he's just a good guy trying to take care of a customer who's otherwise 99.8% satisfied with a production-line product.

Quick Reply: Rough running engine on ULTRA....