Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough running engine on ULTRA....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007 | 07:03 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Rough running engine on ULTRA....

Hmmm. Only thing the two bikes have in common (or uncommon) would be the engine mounts, right? Even though you have a better mount on your Ultra, I wonder if the vibration is related to the mount if it's similar to what you experienced with your Sporty, only now it's smoother. Let us know what you eventually find. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2007 | 07:13 PM
daconiam
|
Tourer

Mysporty was hard mounted,they didn't go rubber mounted until 04. Just using the sporty metaphor to demo the buzziness/roughness of the Ultra. Any of the dyna/touring I have ridden before smoothed out almost as soon as you took off andwas only a "bouncy" engineat idle.I need to get another couple 07's side by side to see what the others are like. I wish I couldlog the info like on a SERT.

Old 08-22-2007 | 07:16 PM
Two Wheeler
Intermediate

I have a 07 Road King that idled rough but smooted out as you increased RPM's. When I went in for my 2500 mile service they did a re-call on the ECM download which really smoothed it out. I bought my bike in July of 07 and am not a gear head, but it was a noticeful improvement to the seat of my pants. My roughness wasn't intermittent, so it could be totally different from what you are experiencing. My bike still runs hotter then I like, but hopefully that will change with new pipes, airbox and a fuel management system. Hope you get to the bottom of your problem.

Old 09-07-2007 | 08:59 PM
daconiam
|
Tourer

Ok noticed something today. Started it up and the normal bucking bronco affect. Went about 6 blocks and stopped toput gas in it and then started.....it is running smooth (v-twin kinda smooth). Rest of the 45 ride into work was smooth sailing! Great ride!

Well come out from work and start it up, bucking bronco again and back to the shuddering ride. Stopped and started the bikea few times at lights and did not smooth out.

Could it be the injectors? I will get the injector cleaner you put in the gas tomorrow
Can I test the injectors with an ohm meter?
Thoughtmaybe O2 Sensors? But I put on my PCIII with O2 elimenators tonight and tried things out....no change rough idle still
Could it be a corrupted map in the HD ECM?
Changed the plugs at 4000 miles and have about 5000 on the bike now (changed them because of the rough ride).
How do I check for intake leaks?
What is an IAC (guess i need the maintenance manual)?
Not getting a check engine light, not sure about a code....dealer never mentioned a code.

How can it be smooth one time and not the rest of the time, thinking it can't be mechanical?

I have installed the IDS so the ride is much, muchsmoother but I can still tell when she ain't right and of course the buckingat idle.

Old 09-07-2007 | 08:59 PM
daconiam
|
Tourer

oops

Old 09-07-2007 | 10:14 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

So I'm not the only one! I have the exact same problem with my '07 Road King. I notice the vibration most between 50 and 70 mph in 5th and 6th gear and some abnormal vibration when idling. But it doesn't happen all the time - but most of the time.

Here's what I have done so far:
1. Removed FuelPak and replaced with Stage 1 Download
2. Rebalanced rear tire; check alignment; adjust final drive belt
3. Replaced spark plugs
4. Various equipment removals: (windshield, crashbar)
5. Changed engine oil
6. Checked tightness of major bolts
7. Run injector cleaner
8. Run octane booster

When traveling at highway speed and experiencing the vibration, if I pull in the clutch the ride is smooth, so I don't think it's the drivetrain - I'm almost certain that it is something with the engine.

All to no avail. So I'm taking it to the dealer on Monday and see if he figure it out.

Old 09-08-2007 | 01:21 AM
daconiam
|
Tourer

http://www.hdtalking.com/diagnostics...ble_codes.html

OK figured out how to get my trouble codes from my bike. The above link is for 06 dyna but it works perfectly for my 07 Ultra.

I have to codes showing: P0152 and P1004 Based off the Dyna chart the P0152 is "rear O2 sensor high (rich)" and the P1004 code is "system relay contacts closed"

If the codes are the same for my bike then I think a high O2 sensor (P0152) problem could my cause rough runningengineproblems, and could explain why sometimes it runs good?

Do not have any idea what the" relay contacts closed "is though.

Should I clear the codes and see if they come back or just take it to the dealer "as is"?????

Apologize for having this in the wrong forum section.....

Old 09-08-2007 | 01:45 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

Sounds like a plug, plug wire, coil, coil connector issue to me. The 02 sensor code will set due to unburnt fuel contamination....(Misfire Condition)...I would bet you have a cracked plug ora wire with a leak to ground. Also check the plug for black lines running down the side from the top of the electrode to the base of the plugs hex-head where you fit the socket for removal. . That`s called Carbon Tracking and it`s a common problem with today's new plugs and wires. My money is on carbon tracking and that's why it come and goes....
Something like this...I drew this with a marker, but you get the idea.[8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38214/479B12B9FA114009BD851C1BC138137F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-08-2007 | 07:49 AM
daconiam
|
Tourer

Thanks for the info, I'll check it.

I'm gonna clear the codes and see if it comes back (after I take the PCIII and O2 eliminators off)

Old 09-08-2007 | 08:20 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: burgies08ultra

i think i have the same issue with my 08...
i took it back to the dealer and told them it ran fine first start up in the morning, but after only a couple of miles it gets sluggish, and idles rough when holding in the brake..it has abs too...
when they put it on the computer, it was showing about 8-10 degrees on timing at idle, but after pulling in on the brake lever it started jumping up to 15 to 20 degrees advanced... they called the factory rep and they said it was normal... bullsh*t,,, i been around cars and bikes all my life and have never seen a condition that u want advanced timing at idle... that has to take away power... but not sure they are going to do anything about it...i think it is heat related too, seems as soon as it gets to about 300 degrees it does this.... don b
It might not be "normal", but my '08 with ABS does the same thing. The idle roughens when you pull the brake lever when stopped. It doesn't bother me, just different.

Quick Reply: Rough running engine on ULTRA....