Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic Fork Locked Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:54 PM
jweakley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic Fork Locked Update

See my post on November 13th for a description of the problem. The servicing dealer took the bike into the shop and discovered that a flimsy piece of metal, shaped like an hourglass, that connects to a pin that locks and unlocks the fork, was broken in the middle. Dealer will replace the lock, but they are on back-order, so I suspect that others are having a similar problem. The important piece of information here is that the tech used a thin-bladed screwdriver to work the broken metal piece upward so that the fork could be freed. There is a small space at the bottom of the fork that allowed him to do this. Thus, my suggestion for new Ultra owners is to have such a screwdriver in the toolkit in case this happens. Still, "stuff" happens, and I love the new Ultra. Also, I removed the bumper from the front fender for a much cleaner look.

Jack

Old 11-17-2005, 06:55 AM
lumpy3148
3rd Gear
Default RE: Ultra Classic Fork Locked Update

sorry to here of your problem mine is of the opposite nature it won't stay locked at times [sm=lockeddance.gif]

Old 11-17-2005, 11:22 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack,

Thanks for the update and the tip! Hopefully this will be a recall as it seems to be a pretty common problem. [&:]

Old 11-17-2005, 11:59 AM
msbhvn
Cruiser

jweakley,

Would you mind post a picture of where he accesses the broken piece. It would be appreciated. Be pretty upset if stuck somewhere. Appreciate the information.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:34 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

Interesting, and thanks for letting us know what the problem was. I'm wondering if the Ultra and Road Glide are the same setup?

Old 11-17-2005, 01:02 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Motormedicus
Intermediate

Jack

Was this a problem where the ignition switch block wouldn't move, or just one where the forks stayed locked? I am trying to track a problem on my 05 Ultra where the switch jams in the fork lock position.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 11-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Double Jack
Novice

The same thing happened to me in September on my 2 week old Street Glide. I had the forks stuck in the locked position at a hotel in Kansas City. Had to get the tow from the only dealer open on Mondays 1 1/2 hours away. They just now got the new assembly in and installed. HUGE pain in my *** from a new bike. I was VERY disappointed. Fuc!ing furious is more like it. Bright side is I still had my $9000 Honda VTX in the garage to ride while my brand new $20,000 Harley sat at the dealer. I still prefer the HD, NO DOUBT, but I was just saying that **** wasn't right.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:17 PM
ratmotortom
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too, would love to see a picture of this area where this problem can be fixed with a screwdriver. I just can't seem to figure out where this area is.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:16 AM
DynamoH20
3rd Gear

I am in the same boat today, I need somebody's technical help. My bike is now at home instead being stuck at Walmart. I had to miss a day at work just to get it here and the dealer was closed the day it happened. I took off the Ignition **** and can see a horiziontal pin that faces the fork. It does not appear to be an "hourglass" shape but it is close to the bottom of the fork.This"pin"?is also not shown on my Clymler's Service Manual that covers up to 05'. I pride myself for getting things done on my own. And I hate having to tow a vehicle to a dealer, when it it is possible to be able to get part of the problem fixed as in getmy bike back on the road and wait for the dealer to get the recalled part in. I would appreciate a picture if somebody can provide one.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14496/DB73873710F3464AB167D9BA2A81D402.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic Fork Locked Update