Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII frying ECM's???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM
fishafly
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII frying ECM's???

As some of you may know my bike is sick...[:@] Dropped it off at the dealer today to get the trouble codes checkedon the computer... I told the tech it had a PCIII on it and he said they fry ECM's all the time ??? Huh? Is this true? I've had it on for @ 14K miles and No Problemos... He said they get bikes in all the time that've run PCIII's and the ECM is history... He likened it to a virus on a computer...Hope thats not the problem with my scoot.. Whattaya all think?? Anyone heard of this???

Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PCIII frying ECM's???

Oh great! Now I'll never sell my PCIII.[&o]

I call BS!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a differnet twist to "don't worry,they alldo that".

Old 08-21-2007, 07:32 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: fishafly

As some of you may know my bike is sick...[:@] Dropped it off at the dealer today to get the trouble codes checkedon the computer... I told the tech it had a PCIII on it and he said they fry ECM's all the time ??? Huh? Is this true? I've had it on for @ 14K miles and No Problemos... He said they get bikes in all the time that've run PCIII's and the ECM is history... He likened it to a virus on a computer...Hope thats not the problem with my scoot.. Whattaya all think?? Anyone heard of this???

Old 08-21-2007, 07:40 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser

According to DynoJet, it can't fry the ECM because it's AFTER the ECM and doesn't do anything but take what comes out of the ECM and modify it. I'm not saying this is totally true or untrue but with the many, many PCIII's sold, if what the tech said was true, there'd be a lot of p'oed riders out there and on this forum, which there are not.

I would suggest taking the PCIII off and going back to just the ECM, if the bike runs then you can pretty much determine the tech is jerking you around big time! Of course, it may be too late for that now since you have the bike in the shop already but I would damn well check it out first before I let them install another ECM. My bet is, you have some issues going on but I bet the ECM isn't bad or if so, the PCIII didn't cause it.

It's your money, what's your comfort level with the tech telling you the ECM needs to be replaced? And how will you know it wasn't bad and they just replace it anyway with a new one and then install your old good one on another bike and charge them for it? Questions to ponder......good luck!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BS!!!
Dealer is jerking you around. Sounds like they don't have a clue. The Power Commander will not do anything to your ECM. BGHV65 above is correct.

It's amazing what the dealers come up with, if they don't know, they make it up and flat out lie to the customers!

Research this on your own. Knowledge is power!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Jazz56
Cruiser

I'd take it somewhere else. From my experience with dealer mechanics, at least where I live, they suck. No help,rude, and not all that smart.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 PM
classicjade01
Cruiser

ive had a dealer tell me the same thing.....im with bghv65....i cant see it frying an ecm if it controls what comes out of the ecm and not before it.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

I'd take it somewhere else. From my experience with dealer mechanics, at least where I live, they suck. No help,rude, and not all that smart.
Jazz56 - you must live in Appleton, Wisconsin!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using Power Commanders since early 2001 & never had an issue.

I have heard rumors of an occassional failed ECM, but anything electronic "can" fail ~ even the stock ECM.

Quick Reply: PCIII frying ECM's???