Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII frying ECM's???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: PCIII frying ECM's???

It would seem to me that the PCIII would have to send and receive information from the ECM in order to function which would mean it **could** fry the ECM. I really have no idea if they do or not, but it seems wrong to say that they cannot because they are inline after the ECM.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: overhead

It would seem to me that the PCIII would have to send and receive information from the ECM in order to function which would mean it **could** fry the ECM. I really have no idea if they do or not, but it seems wrong to say that they cannot because they are inline after the ECM.
The PC only recieves info from the ECM.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:10 PM
fishafly
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree... Total Horseshiite!!! They haven't actually done anything to the bike yet...so I think I'm OK there.... I installed the PCIII myself and when the tech said that I thought HUH??? That doesn't make sense because its after the ECM, but I knda had a brain freeze... I NEVER take my bike to the dealer, but since the engine light kept coming on and I had the TSSM error code I figured I needed to have it put on the Computer to diagnose the problem... We'll see... they'll probably want me to take it off and do a stage 1 DL..which I never did..

Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 PM
fishafly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SteveO

BS!!!
Dealer is jerking you around. Sounds like they don't have a clue.

Research this on your own. Knowledge is power!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Exaaaaaaaaaaaaactly!! Thats why I'm here!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
HogmanFLHX
Tourer

Take the pcIII out and take it to another dealer. Then send the diognosis back to this one and tell them they are full of it.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '03 and the PCIII has been on it for about 3 years now. I haven't had any problems with it and I'm happy. Nor did I do a stage 1 download, I wouldn't waste the money if I were you. My stator fried last year and they fixed it under warranty, never even mentioned it could have been caused by the PCIII, but then, they may have if I had told them I had one on it! haha...

Sweet looking ride Fish.......

Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: nvsteve

ORIGINAL: overhead

The PC only recieves info from the ECM.
I do not have one and do not plan on purchasing one so I have not spent much time researching but......Doesn't the PCIII have to send information it is altering from the bike sensors back to the ECM? How does it allow an increase to the rev limit without sending some signal back to the ECM? Just trying to understand the system because apparently I have no clue how it works.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:47 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

Fish...I am not a PCIII fan, but until the new style fuel management systems came out...they were all we had......I have NEVER EVER EVER heard of one frying an ECM.....another dealer on crack.....

Old 08-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Fish - Sorry to hear your bike is down again. That sucks. Looks like you got the answers your looking for on the PCIII and your dope smoking service guy. PCIII is a solid piece of equipment that in no way would cause the ECM to fry. Hope you get it sorted out soon and get back on the road.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 AM
cdog
Intermediate

Dealer tech BS. They say that so you'll buy a SERT.

Quick Reply: PCIII frying ECM's???