Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a SERT voids the Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Chilhowee
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a SERT voids the Warranty

Called the sales manager I know at a dealer 3 hours away and I asked him about adding the SERT (among other things). He said that adding a SERT to my 08 Ultra will void the warranty. He said that this is one the items "flagged" by HD. Is this true??

Old 08-21-2007, 06:20 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Default RE: Adding a SERT voids the Warranty

here in So Cal, the local dealers will say the same thing. they actually won't touch (install) even the PCIII, tho some will tune it if u install. CARB is putting the screws to the dealers. Ask Jesse James how much it cost him!

Old 08-21-2007, 06:21 PM
dynaglider
Tourer

Yup, I believe the H-D home office says that. Technically, you can't even install it on a road bike. It's for closed course racing only. However, my dealer used one to load new maps to my ECM after adding SE air cleaner and pipes. It works great. It all depends on what your dealer is like and your relationship with them. I believe my dealer will stand behind their work. I also have a pre-paid maintenance plan and an extended warranty with them as further incentive.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:24 PM
dionne51
Road Captain

Well, I had mine installed by my dealer who clearly noted that this would 'not' void my warranty. Perhaps if I had installed my own it would have been another story.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Oleman
Advanced

Dealer installed mine and I asked about warranty and he told me not an issue. They install them as fast as they get them in. Buddy just installed on new 07 when it was delivered.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:55 PM
bigbrokah
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Oleman

Dealer installed mine and I asked about warranty and he told me not an issue. They install them as fast as they get them in. Buddy just installed on new 07 when it was delivered.
Mine said the same thing...

Old 08-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

If that is the case, and they are going to hold true to their word, there isn't a lot you can do about it easily or cheaply. It would involve courts. Best thing to do is to tell them to screw their warrarnty and buy one fo the aftermarket Auto-tune ECM's like a Thundermax or Daytona Twin Tec (DTT).

Old 08-21-2007, 06:57 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dynaglider

It all depends on what your dealer is like and your relationship with them. I believe my dealer will stand behind their work.
I agree. If my dealer does the work, he stands by it. Regardless of warranty.

I'd like to know what major breakdown could occur by installing a SERT that would create a warranty coverage concern?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone, including the dealer, modifys the intake or exhaust, they are in violation of federal emission laws. The dealer may be covering him/herself. Some states are getting pretty picky here - especially Calif. I'd hate to be a dealer if the wrong person witnessed some of the mods we all talk about. Just wondering when the manure will hit the fan.[&:]

Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked when I had my SERT installed and was told by the service manager that it would not violate the warranty. I also have an extended warranty through them.

I don't have that in writing though, so we'll have to see... hopefully won't have to test it.

Quick Reply: Adding a SERT voids the Warranty