Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a SERT voids the Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Adding a SERT voids the Warranty

Dealer installedmy SERTbefore delivery along with Supertrapp slip-ons and SE air filter.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
dynaglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ultrageeserglide

My dealer stated that buying a sert would not void warranty either, but maybe he wanted to sell another hd part for hundreds of dollars? when a power comander does the same thing except adjust idle for hundreds less. just my 2 cents! besides,I can unplug my pc and it was never on it.
I've loaded the SERT software on my laptop and read the manual. It does a lot more than adjust air/fuel as the PCIII does. But, if that's all you need, then save the money. As far as being able to "unplug my pc and it was never on it", I like not having anything on it at all. The SERT simply loads some configuration values to the ECM that is already controlling your bike and then disconnects. No extra componentto fail while out on a ride.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BGHV65

what difference does it make if the SERT supposedly voids the emissions warranty? Modifying it just means a law is broken and should have nothing to do with the dealer fixing a defect on your bike...even if it's part of the emission system.
The noise control equipment warranty is only good for 1 year or 3730 miles, whichever comes first.

The emissions warranty is for 5 years or 18641 miles.

The overall warranty is currently 2 years unlimited miles.

All three have very specific exclusions. Consult your overall warranty, under the heading "Exclusions", item number 4.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Blues Guy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer added SERT, Rinehart TD's & Stage I before I took delivery and stated that since I added prior to riding off, all of the items would be covered by the 2yr. HD warranty.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 PM
madurodave
Road Captain

I have the SERT and know my warranty is intact. I was told NOT to get the extended warranty with the SERT, though. The dealer said other dealerships might not work on the bike with the SERT as well.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 PM
chesterbud
Cruiser

When my dealer installed the SERT, exhaust and ac the only thing he advised me about was messing with the map myself. They will cover it by warranty if the map is left withthe canned map they installed..

Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
07SG
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Blues Guy

Dealer added SERT, Rinehart TD's & Stage I before I took delivery and stated that since I added prior to riding off, all of the items would be covered by the 2yr. HD warranty.
Surely you don't think the MoCo will cover the Rineharts?

Now the dealer covering it is a different matter.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Blues Guy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surely you don't think the MoCo will cover the Rineharts?

Now the dealer covering it is a different matter.
Perhaps poorly worded on my part - the Dealer has warranted the Rineharts for the 2 year period. Even included pipe discoloration as long as they,the Dealer, are the only ones adjusting AF mix during the 2 years. Hopefully won't have to test the legitimacy of the pipe warranty - but I saved the quote.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

A very good discussion indeed. However, don't forget that "dealer A" does not have to warranty "dealer B's" work. If your 1500 miles from home and your bike blows up. You may be stuck.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chilhowee

Called the sales manager I know at a dealer 3 hours away and I asked him about adding the SERT (among other things). He said that adding a SERT to my 08 Ultra will void the warranty. He said that this is one the items "flagged" by HD. Is this true??
So what's the definition of "void the warranty"? If you install SERT, PCIII, etc. and your front wheel bearing goes bad, are you denied the warranty on the bearing? If their position that it is denied, I think they'd be opening themselves up to a legal challenge. The only case where I could see denying the warranty is if the EFI mod caused the problem, like the A/F was changed so radically that damage resulted.

Quick Reply: Adding a SERT voids the Warranty