Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a SERT voids the Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 PM
ultrageeserglide
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Adding a SERT voids the Warranty

My dealer stated that buying a sert would not void warranty either, but maybe he wanted to sell another hd part for hundreds of dollars? when a power comander does the same thing except adjust idle for hundreds less. just my 2 cents! besides,I can unplug my pc and it was never on it. LOL
I guess we and HD are just in the epa pickle barrel and soon it will be water cooled to meet epa mandates? this is just the beginning of all this and sorry to say, the 1584 ain't gonna get leaner than it is now! **** mine pings just siting in the garage, you should hear it when it's running. LOL It wouldn't run without a pc!!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM
cdale976
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Chilhowee

Called the sales manager I know at a dealer 3 hours away and I asked him about adding the SERT (among other things). He said that adding a SERT to my 08 Ultra will void the warranty. He said that this is one the items "flagged" by HD. Is this true??
I'd find a new stealer. Mine put sert pipes and airbox on and told me has NO effect on warranty.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

No this is BS...HD even says with the 103 upgrade that SERT must be installed to maintain your warranty. That right in the catalog tells you SERT will not void your warranty.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

If anyone, including the dealer, modifys the intake or exhaust, they are in violation of federal emission laws. The dealer may be covering him/herself. Some states are getting pretty picky here - especially Calif. I'd hate to be a dealer if the wrong person witnessed some of the mods we all talk about. Just wondering when the manure will hit the fan.[&:]
I agree they could be fined for violating emissions laws, but that has nothing to do with voiding the warranty. Any dealer who wants to sell the SERT but not stand behind the warranty is just trying to crawfish out of taking care of the customer; it gives them an "out" if something pops up they don't want to have to fix.

Find a dealer who'll stand behind their work and the parts they sell, they're the ones who deserve OUR business!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe what needs to be clarified is which warranty. There's the "Motorcycle Limited Warranty", the "Motorcycle Noise Control Limited Warranty", and the "Emission Control System Limited Warranty".

The first one is the one you're all saying can't be voided by the SERT. I agree. I'd bet that's not the one the MOCO is talking about. The last two are Federal EPA stuff and it is solidly cemented in law that it's illegal to mess with the components involved in those areas unless you pull the equipment permanently (or at least while it's so configured) from public road use. There aren't any teeth in the law for the private individuals yet, but there most definitely are for those who work on the equipment for hire. They can already (for several years now) get the tar fined out of themselves if they even so much as tune a for-road-use motorcycle for you even if you're the one who installed the whatever.

I'm all for civil disobedience regarding stupid laws but such action brings the possibility for consequences nonetheless. I predict that well within the next two years we'll see a screeching halt to dealers handling modified (outside the limits) equipment. Enjoy it while you can.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:53 PM
TRMRC
Cruiser

A SERT hasn't been released for the 08's yet. Maybe that could be his reason, then again, He could just be a Moron. I work at a Dealership. As long as a SERT is installed by a HD dealership, it will NOT void your warranty.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: glens

Maybe what needs to be clarified is which warranty. There's the "Motorcycle Limited Warranty", the "Motorcycle Noise Control Limited Warranty", and the "Emission Control System Limited Warranty".

The first one is the one you're all saying can't be voided by the SERT. I agree. I'd bet that's not the one the MOCO is talking about. The last two are Federal EPA stuff and it is solidly cemented in law that it's illegal to mess with the components involved in those areas unless you pull the equipment permanently (or at least while it's so configured) from public road use. There aren't any teeth in the law for the private individuals yet, but there most definitely are for those who work on the equipment for hire. They can already (for several years now) get the tar fined out of themselves if they even so much as tune a for-road-use motorcycle for you even if you're the one who installed the whatever.

I'm all for civil disobedience regarding stupid laws but such action brings the possibility for consequences nonetheless. I predict that well within the next two years we'll see a screeching halt to dealers handling modified (outside the limits) equipment. Enjoy it while you can.
Glens-My understanding is that many of the SERT calibrations are being EPA certified.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:10 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: glens

I predict that well within the next two years we'll see a screeching halt to dealers handling modified (outside the limits) equipment. Enjoy it while you can.
I disagree. It doesn't matter if the dealer sells it or not, it's the individual who is responsible and liable if they modify their bike/car/truck/boat, etc. Companies have been selling so-called "race" application aftermarket parts for years but as long as they don't install it, they're off the hook because they have that fine print on the instructions. I agree the government may tighten controls on some of this stuff but it's not going to go away anytime soon, they'll just do like they did with freon and slap a huge tax on it so they can make a few more billion to spend.

But back to the warranty issue. Still, what difference does it make if the SERT supposedly voids the emissions warranty? Modifying it just means a law is broken and should have nothing to do with the dealer fixing a defect on your bike...even if it's part of theemission system. If they use that argument, then they can void our warranty if we exceed the speed limit because that could cause us to over-rev the engines.

I'm in agreement with what MMCNH said and I maintain if the dealer says it'll void your warranty, any warranty, they're covering their a$$ against future failures they don't want to have to fix.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, many of the SERT calibrations are (would be, rather) EPA-certified. But that's for specific combinations of parts on a typically-manufactured product and there can be no access by the end-user to change any aspect of either the thus-controlled equipment or the controlling components themselves. That last part (the "tamperability") is what immediately kicks it straight out of being acceptable for on-road use. The only way the SERT can be allowed on road-going vehicles would be to disable the end-user's access to the innards. That can already be accomplished without the SERT (the dealer can program the ECU already) so what's the point?

It totally matters that the dealer works on any component that falls under the scope of regulated emissions and then allows it out the door in an uncertified state, no matter who installed what. If you go in with a sticky injector the dealer (or independent shop), if they address the issue, is already required by law to ensure that each and every component of the entire setup is up to snuff and meets the originally-certified (or an alternatively-certified) state. If they change out the injector on your SERT'd (or PC-III'd) road-going bike and let it out the door they are culpable for tens of thousands of dollars in fines. At this date and for some time already.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 AM
bezoar
Tourer

My two cents--maybe I'm exposing my naivite but doesn't SERT stand for "Screaming Eagle ----" thingy? Isn't Screaming Eagle a Harley subsidiary? If so, what warranty is voided???

Quick Reply: Adding a SERT voids the Warranty