Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealer PRE PAIDS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 04:30 PM
Joe Mark
|
Tourer
Default Stealer PRE PAIDS

Bought a new 07 SG at a "local Seattle" area stealer/dealership. They were pushing me to pre pay for service, 1000mile, 5000mile etc.... would save me about $500 in the long run, so they claim. Anyway, I thought no, not gonna do it. THEN they say, if you do, you can come in without an appointment (if you do so before 10am) and they will do your services on the spot/that day. If not, you will have to wait as long as 4 - 6 weeks for service. Now since these are NOT opitional services in order to keep our factory warrantee (sp), this is more likeextorsion than service. Can't believe HD let's THEIR dealers do this, not for the mandatory services anyway. Do many other dealers do this? Am I wrong in thinking this cheezy business. I have bought 3 other HDs at "a dealership located IN Seattle" over the years and they never did this..........maybe they do now, I don't know..........

just cryin' in my beer I guess.

Joe

Old 08-21-2007 | 04:36 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Default RE: Stealer PRE PAIDS

Hmmm, me smells Lynnwood

Old 08-21-2007 | 04:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

so go to another dealer. having to wait 4-6 weeks for routine service is a crock of poopoo....
also, you do not have to have the dealer perform the service to keep your warranty intact. just keep receipts, and record mileages performed.

Old 08-21-2007 | 04:46 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Get it in writing, first of all. And does "no appointment needed" mean "same day service?"

Old 08-21-2007 | 04:47 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Not in Seattle, but here's my story. Called ahead to ask the dealer I bought from about their service schedule. "Call a day or two ahead, no problem". So, I called one afternoon hoping to get in by the end of the week. "Can you be here by 09:00 tomorrow?" I was in by 09:00 & out by noon. Of course, as someone else said, you don't really have to have the dealer do the service. Keep reciepts & good records, & your warranty is good.

Old 08-21-2007 | 07:00 PM
NICK56
Road Master

the 500 mile check up is a joke.. change the 3 oils ur self and spin on an oil fltr... maybe adjust the clutch cable.. sheesh !$500.00 WHAT THE F

8th HD since 1987.. never did a 500 mile or any checkup..save ur money

Old 08-21-2007 | 10:09 PM
precisionworks
Cruiser

They were pushing me to pre pay for service
Not surprising, as that's one of the biggest money-makers they have. Talk about a waste of money[:@]

you will have to wait as long as 4 - 6 weeks for service
Thank them for letting you know that they're worthless crooks, & have your service done elsewhere.

Old 08-21-2007 | 10:38 PM
bigscooter
Cruiser

When I went to buy my bike, one dealer made up the deal and brought me back to his office. When he showed me the paperwork, I just laughed. They were pushing the extended warranty and the prepaid so hard that the interest rate was 4 points lower if you got the extended warranty and the prepaid maintenance. I just said bye and went to another dealer.

I can see that if you can't do your own maintenance or just don't have the time that the prepaid maintenance may be all right. I do have a question about the prepaid maintenance though. If you move or something and can't get back to the selling dealer, is the prepaid maintenance good at other dealers or just the selling dealer? In other words, is it a moco thing or a dealer thing?

Old 08-22-2007 | 12:55 AM
olgreydog7
Road Captain

I had good luck with the dealer in Silverdale, but I think they changed ownership since I left. Do it your self, and save way more than $500 in the long run. I think they are trying to get their hands on some of the money around Seattle. Lots of rich techies that don't know which end of the wrench is a box end.

Old 08-22-2007 | 05:20 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I made the mistake of getting the prepaid on my 07' Ultra. I got it because it was implied to me that it was good for the warranty. At the 1000 mile sevice they pay 2.5 hours labor to the tech. He spent a total of about 45 minutes. As far as I can tell all he did was change the fluids and adjust the clutch. I supplied the Mobile1 so this is not a good deal for me. It pissses me off but I blame it on myself for not doing my homework as usual. T.

Quick Reply: Stealer PRE PAIDS