Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Ultra: Is the extended warranty worth the $$?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Chilhowee
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Ultra: Is the extended warranty worth the $$?

$1800 extended warranty. Peace of mind. If something goes wrong then I'll be glad I have it. But it IS nearly $2000 on top of the purchase. Has anyone without it wished they had it? Is it worth the extra expense? Gotta make a decision by tomorrow. . . .

Old 08-21-2007, 03:26 PM
ILSRWY6
Cruiser
Default RE: 2008 Ultra: Is the extended warranty worth the $$?

I have never bought an extended warranty on a bike or a car, there is a reason they sell the plan---- MAKE MONEY. They have enough statical data to show they can make money on extended warranty programs, if they could not, they would not offer them or increase the price even more.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a holder of a seller's license, I can tell you the markup is huge on extended warranties. And you must have the work done at THEIR shop, not your indy's.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Bibs
Banned

Somebody once told me....if it's made right you wouldn't need an extended warrantee!!!! Like previously mentioned though....its all about making money and they make a pretty penny on the extended plan!!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

I never buy them on anything, especially vehicles. For the very few people who have actually used the extended warranty it looks like a great thing to them, but the other 99 out of 100 who never will use the extended warranty it's nothing but a high profit money maker for the dealer. My peace of mind come from knowing that i didn't contribute anymore to the dealers profit then I already did with all their other phony charges. This also goes for their pre-paid maintenance and tire and wheel warranties, all big money makers. If you really feel you want one just keep saying no and then the price will keep coming down till it bottoms out, but it's still way too expensive for what you get and will probably never use.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:51 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't do what the original owner of my '02 RK did. He extended the warranty for 4 years to 5 total, and proceeded to put 6 thousand miles on the bike during that period. The only time he used the warranty was for a rattling exhaust heat shield which he could have easily fixed himself.

Onlyconsider it if you are planning on doing big miles, and even then I don't think I would opt for it.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

1. To start with, shop around for the best price. You can it from any HD dealer, not just the selling dealer.

2. It's NOT and extended WARRANTY; it's an "Extended SERVICE Plan." Therefore, it is probably not subject to the federal consumer protectionlaw regardingwarraties.

3. It's value to you, after the factory warranty expires in two years, is highly dependent on the dealer. For example, while many dealers will do a cam chain tensioner R&R under the ESP, some won't.

If you read the HD ESP, itsays, but is not always enforced, that the ESP does not cover: "YOUR MOTORCYCLE if it has been modified with any alterations to the powertrain, the suspension (including tire or wheel sizes) and/or any exhaust system not approved by Harley-Davidson." That's the provision in myHD ESP purchased inFeb. '05. I don't know what the current ESP provides, but that provisionis a potentially killer provision if it is enforced when a needed repair, especially an expensive one, is necessary.

Also, the ESP is underwritten by CNA Insurance, not HD. So if the heat and tranny issues become a problem in a couple of years, after the HD factory warranty expires, and CNA is getting expensive claims, they may become much stricter in enforcing the above provision as well as other conditions that can deny coverage for a repair.

The ESP "peace of mind" may not be as much "peace" as you think.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I opted to wait on the Extended Service Plan for my '08. I have the 2 yr warranty. If my bike has problems during the first 2 years, I pay for the extended plan. It only cost $150 more than if I purchased the plan when I bought the bike. Plus, since I financed this bike, I didn't want to pay interest on the plan.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 PM
tpseabird
Advanced

I added the extended warranty for piece of mind when I purchased my 07' Ultra Classic.Will I ever use it? I hope not! However, Idid not pay $1800; I paid $1300 and it included tire and wheel hazard for four years.

TP

Old 08-21-2007, 05:41 PM
harleybob
Cruiser

3 tires replaced so far at $250.00 a pop. A lot of premature engine failures. I think it is worth it. I am at 15000 miles and it looks the primary inner seal is leaking.

Quick Reply: 2008 Ultra: Is the extended warranty worth the $$?