Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Ultra ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023 | 03:02 PM
aboatguy
|
Advanced
Default 2008 Ultra ABS issue

I believe my ABS module is finally toast. I have been changing the brake fluid at least annually (since the recall) and use the ITM HD1 ABS Flush Utility.

Funny thing is I went from a spongy lever back to harder than Chinese arithmetic.
I ride my bike everyday (its my commuter ride to work) However, the lever has gotten stupid hard to pull.
Yesterday after work I opened a speed bleeder in the hope that the lever would go soft but no joy. I could pull the lever and watch fluid exit the bleeder however, the lever remained firm. I ran the ITM HD1 ABS flush utility I could feel the handle pulse a bit but it didn't drop like in normally does.

Today I did a little bit of reading and it left me thinking I may be hosed (Harley is controlling the narrative and parts).

So my questions to the group are:
1. has anyone reliably fixed this issue on their own?
2. does anyone in the USA sell new or refurbished ABS modules (besides Harley)?
3. Is 40601-08A the proper item for my 08 Ultra?

I really hate going to Harley for repairs, it seems like all they want to do is offer me trade in money and get me on something new/er.
I love having ABS and I have ridden in some weather and traffic where I know the ABS helped. So I would rather keep it than remove it although that seems to be the easiest option.
Thanks in advance.

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 03-23-2023 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2023 | 03:11 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

Question #3 - No, per the online parts manual. Says it is not available, do not know if there is a replacement.

Ref 7
40688-08
ABS UNIT, SERVICE, TOURING Not Available

Old 03-23-2023 | 03:53 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member

Mike: Sorry I don't have any info that will help you find a remedy. FWIW I ride the same year FLHTCU ('08) as you and purposely avoided the ABS option. My logic was consistently, simplicity & reliability. I hope you find a work around that you're comfortable with.

Last edited by Slash; 03-23-2023 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-23-2023 | 04:34 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

I believe there used to be repair or replacement hydraulic parts for that module. You could also try looking up rebuilding it on youtube. Probably old videos now. Perhaps buying a used one to scavenge for parts.

The following users liked this post:
aboatguy (03-24-2023)
Old 03-23-2023 | 05:48 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Could very well be the ABS module is bad, and probably the odds on favorite for your symptom......

But have you ruled out the master cylinder, a blocked brake line, or the caliper for your symptom? After all, this IS a 15 year old bike, and you DID feel some pulsing when you activated the ABS module..... The newer ABS modules being replaced have been freezing solid, with no fluid being pushed through the lines by the master cylinder...

Just for the hell of it, I would start at the rear caliper and work my way back to the master cylinder.... seeing if I could release the pressure, just to be sure... at this point it is only just a little of your time to verify it's the ABS module...

You already loosened the caliper bleeder and confirmed there is a blockage/restriction somewhere in the system...

I would:

Break loose the line at the caliper.. still have a hard pedal ? If not, it's your caliper..

Break loose the line at the the ABS module output... still have a hard pedal ? if not, it's your brake line between the ABS and caliper...

Break loose the line at the ABS module input... still have a hard pedal ? If not, it's the ABS module...

Break loose the line at the master cylinder....still have a hard pedal ? If not, it's your brake line between the master cylinder and ABS module.....

If it's still a hard pedal after removing the line from the master cylinder, it's your master cylinder...

That's just something I'd have to do to be sure, before spending the money and/or jumping through all the hoops to replace an ABS module that is not available...

Good luck and keep us posted..

Last edited by hattitude; 03-23-2023 at 06:15 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by hattitude:
aboatguy (03-24-2023), Goose_NC (03-29-2024), twoglides13 (03-29-2024), Ultra103 (03-03-2024), xwhyz1959 (03-26-2023), Zedbra (03-24-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-25-2023 | 03:46 PM
aboatguy
|
Advanced

Thanks all. I loosened the fittings on top of the ABS module. The blockage is at the module ran the HD1 for a few cycles. Back to a hard lever. I'll swing by the local deal on Tuesday and see if I can get a new ABS valve block (old threads say that Harley changed the PN without changing the PN). it took a few cycles of the abs utility to get the front brakes to work again after cracking the lines at the ABS valve block I must have let a bit of air slip in....
If I can't get a new one I may buy an old one off EBAY and send it to the folks in England that rebuild them. I can't believe that there's not a fix for this that maintains ABS.

For clarity the only time the lever felt normal with with the inlet connection to the abs block was cracked a bit otherwise harder than Chinese arithmetic
If I find a local fix I'll post it here. If not I'll let this thread die.
Time to relax and hydrate with a bit of spring water
thanks again, Mike!

Last edited by aboatguy; 03-25-2023 at 03:53 PM. Reason: add clarity
The following 2 users liked this post by aboatguy:
bobter3 (03-25-2023), hattitude (03-25-2023)
Old 03-26-2023 | 05:54 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Thanks all. I loosened the fittings on top of the ABS module. The blockage is at the module ran the HD1 for a few cycles. Back to a hard lever. I'll swing by the local deal on Tuesday and see if I can get a new ABS valve block (old threads say that Harley changed the PN without changing the PN). it took a few cycles of the abs utility to get the front brakes to work again after cracking the lines at the ABS valve block I must have let a bit of air slip in....
If I can't get a new one I may buy an old one off EBAY and send it to the folks in England that rebuild them. I can't believe that there's not a fix for this that maintains ABS.

For clarity the only time the lever felt normal with with the inlet connection to the abs block was cracked a bit otherwise harder than Chinese arithmetic
If I find a local fix I'll post it here. If not I'll let this thread die.
Time to relax and hydrate with a bit of spring water
thanks again, Mike!

Please by all means, update the thread with the final solution.... whatever it is.... That is how we all learn.....

Zonktified (04-10-2023)
Old 03-26-2023 | 07:59 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
Please by all means, update the thread with the final solution.... whatever it is.... That is how we all learn.....
^^this

@aboatguy have you called the local HD parts counter and inquired about replacement part(s)? very curious as to what they'd say? even the service dept just to see what their actual solution is to this.

I thought (?) the 09-13 modules fit (?) but came in 2 pieces instead of the 2008 one piece? wondering what you may hear about that.

Also, wondering about a formal bypass for ABS on these bikes. Not that you want to, but, at least its a form of solution if parts cannot be found.

Goose_NC (03-29-2024)
Old 03-26-2023 | 07:59 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

^^ --- please no panic posts on removing ABS, do not want to derail the thread, I only suggest if there are no mechanical means of repairing or replacing the item

Old 04-02-2023 | 10:23 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I find it concering that the brakes don't function like normal brakes if ABS is not working. My 20 year old truck was having issues, I pulled the fuse to the abs until I got it fixed. My current truck 300k miles, 11 years old old and only touched the brakes once. I realize that is wrong and I should change fluid. Also a bigger system, which makes it more forgiving.

Discussion of the ABS module, does bring up the concern about parts on semi older bikes. 2 of my bikes are older than yours.

You did everything right, changed your fluid, more than you needed maybe. But like my old truck stuff fails.

Quick Reply: 2008 Ultra ABS issue