Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Ultra ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024 | 12:02 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by btsom
It can also kill you with a mid ride failure. There is something I like better if I fail to do things properly rather than a surprise, unannounced failure doing me in. I can make sure I have adequate interval for easy braking, but NO ONE plans on a BRAKE FAILURE. How much ADDED INTERVAL does one need for that?
I don't disagree and it's disappointing that the technology they use makes that a risk. But I'd MUCH rather have it and possibly have to repair the ABS system than to not have it. I would never buy another motorcycle without ABS now. If I'd realized what a big deal it was when I bought the one I have that doesn't have it, I would have made that part of my shopping. ABS is a life saver in the worst of circumstances. In normal operation it isn't needed.

Last edited by downzero; 03-29-2024 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2024 | 12:06 PM
EightballRider77
Intermediate

It can also kill you with a mid ride failure. There is something I like better if I fail to do things properly rather than a surprise, unannounced failure doing me in. I can make sure I have adequate interval for easy braking, but NO ONE plans on a BRAKE FAILURE. How much ADDED INTERVAL does one need for that?
Doesn't do much good though if it fails and you crash because you couldn't stop. I'd rather not have an unreliable system on my bike that could cause me to lose my brakes completely. If it were reliable and never had any issues, or if it failed and its default fail was just standard brakes, then I'm good with that. Otherwise, no thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Rufus13 (04-04-2024)
Old 03-29-2024 | 08:43 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Sure everything thinks there is enough time to maintain proper distance all the time

Old 03-30-2024 | 09:41 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Ah, the old ABS debate...

IMHO, a good working ABS system is worth having. But I don't think it is the silver bullet to stay safe on a motorcycle. I think a lot of people really get overly dramatic about ABS and its value.

Without ABS, there are many things you can do, and skills/habits you can develop, while riding a motorcycle that will diminish your chances of being hurt in accident. I have been riding Harleys since 1978. I estimate I have over 400K miles of riding since that time. ABS didn't come out in Harleys until police bikes in 2005, and as an option for touring bikes in 2008.

In my youth and "aggressive" riding days I have avoided numerous close calls, mostly self induced, without the benefit of ABS... As I have gotten older and wiser, the number of those self-induced situations has been dramatically reduced, but clueless people in cars have added a new element of risk.

So while I welcome any assistance from ABS, I drive every bike like my safety is dependent on MY choices, decisions, and skills. I do not expect ABS to save me, and I don't feel ABS is a necessity to be safe while riding a motorcycle.

I have 4 bikes. One has ABS and three do not..... I have absolutely no problem riding any of my bikes at any time. I do not feel I am in more danger on the three without ABS than the one with ABS...

Don't forget, there are many people who think we are all bat$hit crazy for riding motorcycles in the first place.....

Again, that is my personal opinion based on my anecdotal experience. We are all free to choose the level of risk that we are comfortable with...

Last edited by hattitude; 03-30-2024 at 09:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
14GuineaPig (03-30-2024), Rufus13 (04-04-2024)
Old 03-30-2024 | 12:48 PM
Rob175
Road Warrior

I'm very surprised to read that IF the ABS system fails the rider loses ALL braking ability. Surprised that DOT would allow a design that creates a NO BRAKES issue.

IF SO, then I suppose some serious downshifting would take place to slow down.

Last edited by Rob175; 03-30-2024 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2024 | 01:11 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Originally Posted by Rob175
I'm very surprised to read that IF the ABS system fails the rider loses ALL braking ability. Surprised that DOT would allow a design that creates a NO BRAKES issue.
A whole lot of us are disappointed that this design feature was allowed.
Never experienced it myself, but there's certainly no lack of first hand reports of it happening.

Doesn't help that Harley has made various changes and revisions to the ABS over the years, and that this is not well documented. As in from year A to B, system X; Year C to D, system Y, etc.
There used to be some pages that did document the history of Harley ABS, but those would be old now, and honestly, I can't find a one of them these days.

Old 03-30-2024 | 05:54 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
Ah, the old ABS debate...

IMHO, a good working ABS system is worth having. But I don't think it is the silver bullet to stay safe on a motorcycle. I think a lot of people really get overly dramatic about ABS and its value.

h...
It is another tool, in the toolbox. You can have more than one tool. If your skills prevent needing, it fine. My concern is it failing. I have wondered how other bike manufactures are. i am riding bikes without, so it is not a must have. Never even engaged it. But I suppose if were to buy a modern bike, I would get one with it.

I do think the traction control on my autos has saved me.

Old 04-04-2024 | 08:25 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by EightballRider77
So how can you tell if your bike has ABS or not? I'm picking up an 08 Ultra and I'm curious if it has ABS or not. This will be my first Harley (but not my first motorcycle by far) so I'm just learning about them at a deeper level than I've had experience with. I do all of my own work on all my bikes so this is something I'd like to learn about.
30 second mark
-

Old 08-18-2024 | 10:06 AM
aboatguy
|
Advanced

Looks like Harley still had brake issues into 2020 on some models (at least the trikes)

A jury finds Harley-Davidson liable in death of a trike rider

Jury finds that defective brake software caused a crash that killed a Harley-Davidson trike rider.

Rick Barrett
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2024/08/09/harley-davidson-found-liable-in-crash-that-killed-a-trike-rider/74721091007/#