Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Street Glide Choices... Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 PM
ajax519
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 Street Glide Choices... Need Opinions

I have a deposit on an 08 Street Glide for late September delivery. It will be my first Harley and I want to get it right from the start or at least as right as I can. Ive been riding now for 24 years, all Japanese stuffso Im new to the world of Harleys. I know that most on here are veteran Harley riders and have a wealth of knowledge, so here goes;

1. I ordered the following factory options, ABS, Cruise, Security...anything important missing?

2. I have the following goodies to be installed, EFI race tuner kit, V&H ovals, SE Stage 1 A/C 50 mm. Am I covered on basic bolt on power upgrades?

3. Ill be doing some 2 up riding with my wife. I was going to order the King Tour Pak. Is it easy to get it on and off? I will also be getting a low backrest for shorter trips where I dont need the King Pak. Is get best place to get the parts Im after at the dealer? It seems there are no deals to be had but they seem pretty good to deal with.

4. Color- I'm stuck between Dark Blue Pearl and Crimnson Red Sunglo. Ive seen the dark blue pearl in person but not the crimson red sunglo. I have seen a couple of pics of the Sunglow and it looks great, what do you guys/gals think?

5. Last but not least the rear suspension kind of concerns me with only 2" of travel. I weight about 200lbs and my wife might be 100lbs. or so. I am interested in a comfy ride and Im curious if people who are riding two up are finding the rear suspension travel to be adequate.

Sorry for all the questions but I need to get everything sorted out in two days for the order. I appreciate any input from all you Harley veterans and promise to buy you all a beer in return for your insights!

Thanks
Ajax

Old 08-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Here is the run down on option08 Street Glide Choices Need Opinions

1. Don't think there are any other coices.
2. Yes. That is the basics. But I didn't realize and FI management systems were out for the 08's yet.
3. There are several places online to get those parts alot cheaper. Charlie's, Zanottis, Chicago HD.
4. I have seen both. Dark Blue Pearl is very bland. Crimnson Red Sunglo is one of the hottest colors HD has made in a while.
5. If suspension is a concern right out of the box then maybe you ordered the wrong bike. That 1" of suspension travel on the other touring models makes a difference. You can always change the shock out but that is more $$$.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:45 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

Add floating rotors. You won't be sorry

Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like you got most of the goodies. I have the detachable back rest and am planning to get the tour pack this winter. My concern is the PN# for the backrest docking is a different PN# than the tour pack. Not sure if the tour pack will fit on the backrest docking.
You might want to test out the stock shocks and go from there.
Color depends on your personal taste. I dislike bright metalflake colors that "pop" in the sun.
As soon as I saw the dark blue pearl SG I know I was selling my softail.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
tom73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I think you have everything covered

2. Bolt on's covered... technically is cams considered a bolt on?

3. I prefer a detachable sissy bar with a T-Bag. Plenty of storage for a 4 day trip.

4. Color is all preference however IU have heard a lot of positive feedback on the Sunglo. Mine is black pearl and I love it.

5.The wife and I took a long ride this past weekend (800 miles) on the SG and had no problems with the suspension. Fork over the $ for the airpump for the suspension. 1 pound of air pressure makes a big difference. I weight 200 lbs and the wife is 130 (Don't anyone tell her I listed this or I am dead meat!) I have been riding with 12 psi solo and went to 20 when we were 2 up. I rode without her for a short while without lowering the pressure and it was pretty rough.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
sims5
Cruiser

The detachable tour pac uses a different mount than the detachable back rest.
I think the Crimson Red is an awesome color, it would be my choice.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
ajax519
Advanced
Default RE: 08 Street Glide Choices... Need Opinions

You guys are awesome...thanks for all the quick replies.

The suspension for two up riding is a major concern so thanks for the info Tom73...what is aT- Bag?
Monstermile...thanks for the parts info and fyi the dealer says late September for the FI management..I agree on the Crimson Red also!

I knew the deal was done whenmy wife approved of the V&H Ovals over the SE touring pipes and she is actuallyas pumped as me about the bike! Now if I can only distract myself for the next 4 weeks so I dont go crazy waiting!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 PM
G Funk
Cruiser

RED! and I'd get a new seat for her.passenger seatisn'tthat comfortable for distance.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ajax519

what is aT- Bag?
T-Bag is a brand name of touring luggage. Most fit over the sissy par bad and are supported by a rack. Many brands of luggage out there to choose from besides T-bags. Kurakyn, SAC and Bagtec to name a few. They are a little more versitle than a tour pak and in most cases hold more. And they are alot cheaper.

Here is my former Street Glide with the Kuryakyn Full Dresser bag.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Cycleman6
Cruiser

I saw a crimson red sunglo at our dealership last week. Beautiful color. It was being set up for customer. I think I would describe it as a deep 'rootbeer' color. Absoutely beautiful though.

Quick Reply: 08 Street Glide Choices... Need Opinions