Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Street Glide Choices... Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: 08 Street Glide Choices... Need Opinions

Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for a Electra Glide Classic from the list of wants and concerns that you have about the SG.

EGC vs SG

Taller suspension, more travel always makes for a better ride.

Top box included, cheaply and easily made quick detach.

And to add icing to the cake, your wife will be happier because the EG comes stock with a much more comfy seat, especially for the passenger.

You've got almost everything you are asking for in the EGC right from the factory for the same price, with better up front lighting thrown in on top of everything else.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

First, I must agree with Dave that maybe you should consider an FLHTC rather than an FLHX. I love my SG, but if I rode two-up frequently I would go with the FLHTC or FLHTCU for the comfort it affords the passenger. I think with right seat and a suspension mod you would be good to go on the SG, however. Keep in mind the FLHTC has the TP and passenger backrest standard, so you'll be saving hundreds on those two one items. Also, I doubt if the stock SG seat would be comfortable for your wife on the long haul, but I'm just speculating.

ORIGINAL: ajax519
1. I ordered the following factory options, ABS, Cruise, Security...anything important missing?
To me, the security system is not a must-have item--not that it's a bad option, but I don't need it and don't yearn for the added complexity. OTOH, ABS and CC are definitely good choices, IMO.

2. I have the following goodies to be installed, EFI race tuner kit, V&H ovals, SE Stage 1 A/C 50 mm. Am I covered on basic bolt on power upgrades?
SERT is good if you have a good tuner. I'm not aware of any other options for the '08's yet, but PCIII, T'Max, etc. should follow with little delay. I went with the PCIII on my '07, which is cheaper and a very competent unit. However, if you plan on making continual changes to your drivetrain, PCIII and SERT will require new maps, and if canned maps don't exist you'll need to dyno tune after every change. T'Max and DTT might be preferable if you will be incrementally tinkering with cams, heads, compression, etc. They have their drawbacks, too, including a high price tag.

3. Ill be doing some 2 up riding with my wife. I was going to order the King Tour Pak. Is it easy to get it on and off? I will also be getting a low backrest for shorter trips where I dont need the King Pak. Is get best place to get the parts Im after at the dealer? It seems there are no deals to be had but they seem pretty good to deal with.
Compare prices at Chicago HD (www.chicagoharley.com/shop) and Zanotti's (www.zanottimotor.com), where you can get 20%+ off MSRP. I purchased my big-ticket items from both, depending on who gave the best bottom-line price after shipping charges were added, and compared to my local dealer I saved a bundle. Before buying the bike, negotiate with your local dealer about giving you 20% off for your first group of purchases, and if they agree you might want to go that route, although sales tax will certainly make the total higher than going mail order.

Buy the quick-release two-up tour-pak rack from HD, along with the proper docking kit, and the TP will then pop on and off in seconds. You should be able to use a rider's seat backrest with the TP attached. For long rides a backrest is a must for me.

Be aware that any painted item, e.g. the TP, will require at least 30 days to receive, as they are made-to-order. I think mine was about that duration, but I ordered it in December during the off-season.

4. Color- I'm stuck between Dark Blue Pearl and Crimnson Red Sunglo. Ive seen the dark blue pearl in person but not the crimson red sunglo. I have seen a couple of pics of the Sunglow and it looks great, what do you guys/gals think?
That's very subjective, but I know what I would choose, which is the Crimson Red Sunglo. My dealer has one in the showroom now and it is gorgeous.

5. Last but not least the rear suspension kind of concerns me with only 2" of travel. I weight about 200lbs and my wife might be 100lbs. or so. I am interested in a comfy ride and Im curious if people who are riding two up are finding the rear suspension travel to be adequate.
"Comfy" would not be an adjective I would use to describe the stock 12" shocks, and I cringe at the prospect of riding with t

Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Running Light/Brake Light/Turn Signal Coversion Kit, HD part no. 69462-06A, list price $54.95---converts your rear turn signals to running lights and brake lights for greater visibility.

Fog Lamps, HD Part no. 68913-98B, list price $134.95--mount on your engine guards, provide 55W each more light on the front of the bike for greater visibility while preserving clean front of the SG if you don't want passing lamps (I have passing lamps and fog lamps on my '04 EG which are "on" all the time).

Tri-Bar Light Upgrade, HD part no. 68358-07, list price 89.95--converts the tri-bar LED light at the bottom of the rear fender to a run/brake light--as delivered the LED is a run light only.

As for color, I have seen both and agree the blue is underwhelming, IMHO, compared to the red.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
bonz50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with iclick and dswan.... sounds like the EG Classic is a better choice for you (and cheaper)...

Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Major Bill
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: dix

Sounds like a sweet setup. September will be here before you know it. Hang on!

I haven't had my Harley long enough to give youa lotof advice, but the one thing I've noticed is that the guys I know with security systems hardly ever use them. I guess it depends on where you ride, but if I was ordering a bike, I wouldn't bother with it.

I rented a SG for a weekend and loved it, but if I bought one, I'd get a taller windshield right out of the gate.
FYI to all... the new security system (which I ordered) is activated passively. Nothing to push, just walk away from the bike with the little fob on the key chain. It's self activating. Nice piece of mind, especially if you don't want to bother with the key every time you make a stop.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Clearly, the red is to die for!

Old 08-21-2007, 05:53 PM
dix
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Major Bill
FYI to all... the new security system (which I ordered) is activated passively. Nothing to push, just walk away from the bike with the little fob on the key chain. It's self activating. Nice piece of mind, especially if you don't want to bother with the key every time you make a stop.
Yep, I rented a 07 and it had the passive security system too. Slick setup, but you still need the key in your pocket or in the bike. I'd prefer to not have one at all. Just one more thing to lose imo. For the areas that I ride and park, there is no need for it so I wouldn't spend extra to have it.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 PM
ajax519
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WellI went with the Crimson Red Sunglo and I think Ill back off on a few of the options for now. In Ontario the V&H Ovals are $ 859.00 and Im sure I can do alot better than that with a little looking around. I dont get the bike until end of September and by end of November its game over for riding here. I have all winter winter long to think about options.

Thanks once again for all you help guys...look forward too seeing you on the road!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Crimson Sunglow, the perfect choice IMO.
Congratulations.
I sent you an email on were to buy Genuine HD stuff at 20% off in Ontario.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:52 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Buy an Ultra, then make it a SG, Then you can go back when you please... (Trust me, your gonna want the things an Ultra has.)