Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning a Road Trip from NOVA

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Boze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a Road Trip from NOVA

Any recommendations which direction to head? Looking at leaving September 5th from Northern Virginia and heading out for several days coming back September 8th. I'm not opposed to doing some distance riding, but was curious if anyone had recommendations of places to go based on what's going on over that timeframe.

Feel free to speak up. I'm willing to consider about anything.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:26 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Planning a Road Trip from NOVA

Outer Banks NC..wonderful in September..
Later

Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 PM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway

Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Towpro
Banned

BRP, exit off at Rt.43 west, Rt.11 to Lexington, Rt.39 west to Goshen Pass to Rt.42......awsome ride. Incredible scenery as well, of most of Va. is to me. Here's
a pick of Goshen Pass:

[IMG]local://upfiles/17002/DE26C5983FA049A8A5833479CD5506CD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17002/473B04FA4EF044CBBD213264ADEFCF63.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17002/37DB55BC19F043268A2C7B588460FCF9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Ol Biker
Road Master

From NoVA, you can always day-trip Skyline Drive/BlueRidge Parkway. If you like the hills - try a trip to Lake George, NY. From Lake George you can head west through Lake Placid or to Niagra Falls (do the Canadian side) or east through Vermont and New Hampshire - even get somer Maine lobster if you're ambitious.
Riding through the small towns of NY and New England, you'll find some great folks - even if they do talk funny!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

I think the temperatures are still okay in Nova Scotia but you would have to hustle or you can wait and ride up with us next year. Think the wife and I are heading to Utah in a couiple of weeks depending on her ailing mother's condition. That would take a little more time than you have. So my recommendation would be to head down to Harrisonburg, Va. via Rt.81 and hang a right on to Rt.33 west (great road if you haven't done it) then simply turn left on to Rt.219 south. Go as far as you like. Another great road. A couple of nice little towns along the way. If you've seen the movie "October Sky" you can go in to Mcdowell county in southern W. Va. and look for the town of Coalwood where the main character was from. Not particularly senic (it's coal country) but good bike roads and you will go back in time. Take a Va./W.Va. map for some really good side routes off of 219. Bikers seem to like the Motel in Marlington that sits right on 219. Wave as you go thru Front Royal, Va.
Gary

Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just talking to the pool guy who mentioned his recent trip from Southern MD to Deals Gap. Said there was awesome riding getting ther and even better places to be when he got there. He also tooka ride across some bridge down there where the highway is elevated as to not disturb the environment... can't remember the name of it, some Parkway.

B

Old 08-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Ron H
Cruiser

I'll second TowPro's recommendation onGoshen Pass. I spent a few days over July 4th riding the roads from Waynesboro South. I stayed at a campground south of Charlottesville. One day we took a great ride over Routes 151, then Route 56 up over the Blue Ridge Parkway and then back down, crossed over I-81, and worked our way to Route 42 and Goshen Pass, then up 39 and circled back to Waynesboro.

You can also make the Smokies in one day's ride (about 500 miles from NoVa) -- if you take the Interstate. Lots of great roads to ride down there, including the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and almost any other road there. That would be a good time of the year to go there.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Outter Banks of NC, Oakoke (sp) Island.

Great place to watch the wid poines, great prices after Labor Day

Neat ride

Ride Em Carry Em

Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 PM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's it... Thats the ride my pool guy took. the Cherohala Skyway is the highway that is elevated above the side of the mountain to "preserve the environment".

Here is a link to the info on that area.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

ORIGINAL: Ron H

You can also make the Smokies in one day's ride (about 500 miles from NoVa) -- if you take the Interstate. Lots of great roads to ride down there, including the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and almost any other road there. That would be a good time of the year to go there.

Quick Reply: Planning a Road Trip from NOVA