Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Lift Table

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 02:58 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,714 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I’ve had a Handy and a HF. I use the HF. First, it handles 1000# bikes fine. I used the original chock, I just bolted sides to each side of the clamp. Worked fine for bikes ranging from 60’s airheads, ironhead, VStrom, sportsters, Road King or Ultra.

But the main thing I liked in my small shop was the ability to fold it down, then lay it sideways against the wall for short term storage, or vertical for most of the summer when I was out riding.

It is narrow, but I never had an issue. I walked it up under power. If I was worried, I’d get two 6x8” beams and lay them along side. I was rarely worried, but I could if I felt the need.

I added two sets of additional tie down eye bolts. This was handy especially for heavy wrenching jobs.

Now the air handy was nicer, probably much stronger and air lift is nice. If you have money and space and will keep it for years, go for it. That said, theHF does not require a compressor or power. Just foot pump. Our local old school indie uses 4 of them.

Only real negative, no status points. It just does the job, nothing more.

The following 2 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Death Valley Ultra (03-21-2023), MikeTD3 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 03:23 PM
jeffro01
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

EDIT: Completely missed the post with the obvious trike on it...

So what do trike owners do? I have my Ultra and my wife's trike and I'm trying to figure out a good pneumatic lift table that'll accommodate both and either I'm just missing something obvious or I'm not looking in the right place. For instance, the SAM 1200 air lift is only 24" wide okay so add the extensions right? Still only getting me to 48" wide and the trike is roughly 51" outside wheel to outside wheel. Any suggestions and if I missed it in the thread my bad... Thanks!!!!

Last edited by jeffro01; 02-16-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:51 PM
Crossbone Canuck
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

The guy I bought my Handy lift from had a trike so he had the rear trike extension option.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:20 PM
Automatic Slim
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
Long time member, low frequency poster here. Looking for feedback regarding motorcycle lift tables. I'll be starting my 54th motorcycle season this spring. I've always done my own maintenance. At 71 years old, 72 in May, my desire to crawl around the garage floor is just about totally exhausted. My one regret is never having purchased a motorcycle lift table and have decided I'm not going to take that regret with me (hopefully in the very very distant future) to the grave. I own 2 motorcycle jacks but as those of you that own lift tables know, it's not the same. Looking for feedback regarding lift tables from those of you that own and use them. There appear to be multiple manufacturers and price points. I ride an Ultra Limited (900+ lbs.) and am reluctant to use a lift rated for only 1,000 lbs on a bike that heavy. What brand(s) what models do you recommend?

I'm sure this topic has already been covered however I was unable to find info using search.

All input appreciated. Thank you.
I bought this lift at an estate sale and got it pretty cheap. Though it takes up a lot of room in my shop, it is pretty handy for servicing the bike. It is a Western Handy Air Lift..

Old 02-21-2023, 08:42 AM
Cruiser117
Cruiser
Received 306 Likes on 110 Posts

@Automatic Slim is that lift missing the safety leg that engages the locks ?

I'd be nervous but that's just me.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:21 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiser117
@Automatic Slim is that lift missing the safety leg that engages the locks ?

I'd be nervous but that's just me.
It probably has it, its just in its "clips" or whatever holds them up out of the way. There is a handle, that you can't see because the side extensions are on, that you tug on to get them to drop.
It is a Handy Lift, and they just weren't "automatic" on that model, more like the bike lifts (jacks) where you jacked it up, flipped the safety bar down and release some pressure.
On my newer one, you flip a lever up, after you've taken the pressure off the safety bar, and lower the bike. When it gets all the way down, flat, it "automatically" releases the safety bar so the next time you lift the bike it is already down and riding the catches as you lift.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 02-21-2023 at 10:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ssitruc:
Automatic Slim (02-21-2023), Cruiser117 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:39 PM
Automatic Slim
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
It probably has it, its just in its "clips" or whatever holds them up out of the way. There is a handle, that you can't see because the side extensions are on, that you tug on to get them to drop.
It is a Handy Lift, and they just weren't "automatic" on that model, more like the bike lifts (jacks) where you jacked it up, flipped the safety bar down and release some pressure.
On my newer one, you flip a lever up, after you've taken the pressure off the safety bar, and lower the bike. When it gets all the way down, flat, it "automatically" releases the safety bar so the next time you lift the bike it is already down and riding the catches as you lift.

Spot on…I just hadn’t put the arms down yet in the pic.

The following users liked this post:
Cruiser117 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 04:18 PM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by Luch_117
The table was the best thing for me to get; wish I did it a long time back as you did. I am working on a 128 build now and its just incredible being eye height with the bike...the bending over and sitting floor days are pretty much over with the exception of certain tasks. I went with the DirectLift - I stumbled on it when looking for options and all in all, doesn't seem to be like a bad unit. I wish I could have gotten one of the US made units out there but the price point kinda changed my mind - I have a lot of parts to buy also!

If you saw me unloading this from the truck single handed you'd be laughing...I had it shipped to my office as the freight charge versus home made a difference.
You won't regret the purchase!

Chris

Its really not practical to use your lift as a ramp too… I’d invest in a separate ramp.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:26 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts

A good lift more than pays for itself. Remember, it may be called a motorcycle lift, but it is a whatever fits lift. Just changed the drive pulley and clutch on the ZTR. $325 in part vs $850 total at the dealer.

A winch/hoist also lifts more than just a Jeep top. I'm way too Old to be laying on the cold concrete or squatting, hurting my knees working harder than it should be.

Last edited by TSheff; 03-20-2023 at 04:50 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TSheff:
crazytown (03-22-2023), Juan L (03-20-2023), Slingshot383 (03-20-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 09:11 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

FYI for you , Veryseal.com could have or has the seals for rebuilds on cylinders installed on these lift tables.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Lift Table