Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold riding sugg?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:03 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: cold riding sugg?

you might checkout www.cozywinters.com same quality as Gehring but less costly. Gehring makes HD heated stuff, but HD warrants for 1 year instead of lifetime. Don't figure.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:07 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the HD heated jacket and gloves. They work great and last winter I rode as low as 13 degrees. Now I don't go out on all day rides like I do in the warmer months, but I try to get out once a week in the winter for at least an hour.With the heatedgear and a full face helmet, you can easily rideall winter. Now salt/snow/ice are a different story.......

Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heated gloves and jacket liner. I hear you on "expensive" being a factor, but freezin' ain't my idea of a good time either--much less considering the safety issues. I've seen guys in snowmobile suits, but I don't know those are terribly cheap either. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's harley gear you want,check out Chicago Harley.They give a straight 20% off.
http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/

Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

To points from above - one poster says all Harley gear is made by Gerbings and Gerbings will honor the life time warr - another posters states that Harley gear is made by Gerbings but only warr for one year - If YOU are wanting Gergings but want to save the $$ by buying HD from Chicago - I would suggest you call Gerbings and ask them questions about warr on HD gear... This stuff is to $$ NOT to have the life time warr...

Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy the Gerbings jacket.. HD buys "their" jackets from Gerbings !
Gerbings sells for less $$
works unbelievably well all winter!!
U will not be disappointed.. Ive had mine 4 many years with thermostat!
Very well made and keeps you warm !

Old 08-20-2007, 10:17 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

also Gerbings is a great windbreaker jacket with no heat on..

I use it with no heat on in the fall !

NY NY

Old 08-20-2007, 10:26 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually with the 20% online discount the HD stuff is cheaper than the Gerbings. At least it was a year ago when I got mine. The Gerbings does have a better warranty though.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: poppa cooter

im thinking it would be a good idea to invest in some cold riding gear any suggestions? did a google search everything elect heat is very expensive, all(serious lol) ideas will be considered. thanks
The HD electric stuff is made by Gerbings, so search around for the best price, Ebay being your first option. The HD-branded gear will cost more. I bought Gerbings gloves, wired through my accessory switch, as my hands are always first body parts to get uncomfortably cold in winter riding. The downside to electric clothes is the wiring, which is a pain to deal with--but the virtues of heated gloves far outweigh the vices for me.

Legs are another problem area for me, and below about 60° I need some sort of protection. I use chaps that can be removed quickly, although some of my friends use fleece-lined jeans instead. Find a jacket that has a removable liner and vents, and wool socks for the feet. I have never felt the need for electric vests or jackets, as if it is really cold I'll put my rain jacket over my leather jacket, and I've never been cold wearing that combo. Another small item that helps greatly is a bandana for my neck. Jackets don't always seal well around the neck, and some way to seal the wind out is a big plus. If it is really cold, I use a thin ski mask that will fit comfortably inside my 3/4 helmet.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM
poppa cooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow alot of quik responses ! seeing as how i need something i can put on quikly(riding home from work), i believe i'll go with gerbings does anyone have the outer wear pants i was wondering how good they work being on the outside. i guess i'll go with jacket liner and gloves for my upper body. thanks for all the responses. also I checked ebay and really didn't find much it's probably to early in the year.

Quick Reply: cold riding sugg?