Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

I guess ifI had to explain you wouldn't understand. It's somethingI enjoy! It's a hobby! there are those that want to nothing but ride it and let others service there bike, and then there are those that want to wrench themselves to learn more about the bike and at the same time learn something new. Either way it's all good. Just when the bike breaks, I would like to be able to fix it or have an idea of what is wrong. Last thing, there is SO MUCH POTENTIAL the bike is capable of (tweaking the tuning) you would be amazed. There are thousands of Happy ThunderMax and DTT along with SERT users. If a buddy of your has one ask him for an honest opinion, maybe he'll let you try his....

Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good points Geezer. I think that the aftermarkey products make the bike run like it was designed too. The factory has to comply with the epa and cannot get the bikes to run right (i.e. cooler etc etc..) Its a shame (or sham?) but it is what it is...I personally love working on my own bike and tweaking it. I learn something about my bike and sometimes about myself when I fix and or break something....It all about the experience and the journey man!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Z_Stingray

OK, here is where I ended up. I did run the DTT equivalent map and experience a slight amount of detonation with roll-on from 2300 to 3000 rpm. Everything else was just fine. I increased the the rate of retard in these ranges and tuned it out. Then just out of curiosity I compared my map to the Tmax base map. They were very similar. Of course the timing is advanced in my map, but the retard slopes were very close. Soooooo, I went ahead and mirrored the Tmax timing maps with my advanced timing. Just finished a 40 mile test run and all is grand. I'm so much happier with the smooth vibs and better pull. I'm going to stick with this for awhile. I'm happy with it and I'm going to leave it alone and put some miles on.

Other then the advanced timing, this is a pretty generic map.You can see the base settings in the map (yellow dots)so you know what was changed. It should be useful for anyone with a stage 1 TC96ci.I don't know how it will work on stock headers or 2into 1 exhausts, but free flowing true duals such as V&H Big Shot Duals or Rineharts shouldbe compatible.If you choose to useit,listen carefully for any knocking, pinging, and/orchirping and pay special attention to the conditions thatcaused it so you can retard the timing in that area and tune it out. Whatever you do, don't hold me accountable.

Remember to change the filename extension back to ".slk".

Ok Z_Stingray

Still would like to hear how your map is doing. I have played with it and had some excellent results. I have about350 miles on the new download. Has anyone else tried this map or played with it and tried it in their bike?

Bob

Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone have the updated manual for the TM yet? I cannot find it on thier web site yet...I am leary of installing the new flash to the TM before I can actually RTFM....

Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 AM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: parakiller

anyone have the updated manual for the TM yet? I cannot find it on thier web site yet...I am leary of installing the new flash to the TM before I can actually RTFM....
It's not ready.....fwiw, I installed the new version weeks ago and I haven't had any problems

Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Geezer Glide Bob
Ok Z_Stingray

Still would like to hear how your map is doing. I have played with it and had some excellent results. I have about350 miles on the new download. Has anyone else tried this map or played with it and tried it in their bike?

Bob
I'm as happy as a pig in **it. I've since installed V&H Quiet Baffles in my Big Shot Duals. The bike and I really like the quiet baffles. The bike pulls better at low rpms and when in 5th and 6th gears. The sound is lower - no big deal to me, but the wife likes it. I'm very happy with my current map. Very smooth. I'll keep what I've got.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer

Z_Stingray

I have tried your map, and can say that I am very pleased with the results. I removed my tour pak and lowers and this past weekend riding in the NE hills of Iowa staying under 65mph got 47 mpg!!! Very happy, no pinging that I can hear. At first I thought that I could hear pining so I pulled over and listened to the engine. Found out that it was the gremlin bell!!! Bike runs cooler. Overall I am very pleased and thankful you shared your map along with this thread with the forum!!!

Bob

Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geezer Glide Bob

Wow, great news. I'm really glad to get confirming results. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me.

Keep us informed. What are you running? 2007? FLHTCU? True Duals? etc.?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer

I have a 2007 Ultra with mods listed below

Doherty Air cleaner
ThunderMax
Stock head pipes CERAMIC coated inside and out with 1600 degree coating
(after I shut the bike off within 5-10 minutesIcan GRAB the pipes, they cool that quick)
Stock Mufflers that are slightly modified to flow better.

This tank of fuel I am on now (just filled up) I got 41MPG but ranthe bikeHARD with 2 up!!! Still very very happy with the results!!! Next will be to install a IDS and maybe a oil cooler! Love the bike now, didn't even put my heat sheilds back on, looks so much better with them OFF!!!!

Bob

Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Han
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z_Stingray

I’ve loaded your map (thanks for sharing) last week and made some short trips.
First impression: the performance is very good with no pinging and almost no popping

I’m now comparing your map with the base maps (391-394, 403) and other tuned maps (jshepherd, sniper).
I will share the results.

Some modifications I have in mind:
- lowering the idle speed to 944
- make the AFR leaner for cruising at 2500 – 3500 rpm and low TPS and change accel fuel from 10 to 12-14
Note: with my European riding style (highway speed: 120 – 160 km/h = 75 – 99 mph, country roads: 60 – 120 km/h = 37 – 75 mph, both with fast acceleration and deceleration (WOT/closed throttle) I get a very bad mileage: 10 – 12 km/l = 8,5 – 10 l/100 km = 24 – 28 mpg
I especially need the max. power at WOT and not at lower TPS, so I thought this can be achieved by leaner AFR’s at cruising rpm-TPS combinations and a higher accel fuel.

Han

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!