Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Max Timing is RETARDED!

ORIGINAL: sleepyjim

So what is the bottom line? I was told and spent almost 700.00 bucks on a unit that will auto tune, but from reading all this it seems a got to do a **** load of tweeking..........THis to me is NOT what was represented before I ordered mine.

Am I wrong/misunderstanding this thread?
Well.... the "plug & play" verbaige is probably a little mis-leading. The extent to which a unit is "plug & play" really depends on the combination of components on a given bike. Some acutally do work well with one of the canned maps and auto-tuning. Others take some finese.

Either system will make ya smile once you get it right. The DTT will take a little more work (in most cases), simlpy due to it's complexity and capabilites.

The work you do getting it set up will make you a much more informed owner and will "force feed" you invaluable experience.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Great thread guys. I didn't try to follow the discussion of the conversion of timing tables from one system to another, but it's been good reading about the two products and efforts to use them on an individual basis.

It's going to be interesting to see what Zippers and Daytona Twin Tec do now that HD has gone to an electronic throttle which, not having seen a wiring diagram of the ECM on the '08 touring bikes, but assuming (always dangerous, I know) that it is tied into the ECM. If the electronic throttle is tied to the ECM, how long will it take Zippers and DTT todevelop a replacement ECM, or if they can replicate it?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually it shouldn't be much different. Both systems use a TPS... one is one the TB the other is in the grip... not much of a difference as the both send a voltage for position. To the consumer there is no difference...

Old 08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

Geezer,
Adjust the timing.... you would need to on the DTT also... although if your running pretty stock/stage 1 you might not have to do anything.... except apply the BLM's

Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer

SpikeCT

Please forgive my ignorance. What do you mean by "apply the BLM's"

I have been toying with playing around with Z's map, but just have not had the time. I wanted to hear more input from Z once he got more miles on his motor. Or from anyone else that has tried this map. I have read this thread over and over trying to learn more about the timing. I understand about 80% which not knowing the other 20% worries me.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

BLM's is block learn multiplier... this is what the DTT uses to adjust fuel add/minus from cylinders.. everytime you apply them they adjust the Alpha-N table to maintain the AFR set.
Now I do not know what a Z map is but I am assuming it is hte timing table. You need to watch at what point your getting ping.. ie. 3000 rpm 25% Throttle go into that table and take away 2 degrees timing. Then try to repeat... if still pings but less take away another 2 degrees. at some point when pinging stops what you can then do is fine tune that area. Add 1 degree back in and see if it pings. if not add another until it just starts to ping at that point. Then take out 2 degrees and you are running sweet then.
Reading plugs is another thing to look at for colorization. your looking for a nice golden brown at the bend in the plug.... now Im no expert on any issues but I do dabble some lol

Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer

Sorry about that Spike, I was refering to Z_Stingray's map that he has posted with adjusted timing. I do understand that I need to listen close for ping or pops and make note of throttle position and rpm's. For there advance or retard the timing. Along with reading the plugs. Looks like I am going to be making a few trips with saddle bag off while adjusting the timing..

Bob

Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

On the DTT the connector is long enough where I can have it hang out of the side cover (front) for tuning and when Im done I can just pop the front of the side cover and tuck it back in.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:52 AM
The Vig
Advanced
Default RE: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

I am a pretty new guy to this forum, but I guess my questin would be: Whats the point? How much extra performance are you getting for all this effort? What would the total additional ft lbs of torque and overall HP gains? I left the Hi performance Jap bikes and came over to the HD side to ride more comfortably. I mean these bike perform ok but I dont think they are made to be really fast. My last fun fast bike was a turbo 750 Kaw and it went from a great cruising all day 80-hp to 165 hp at 3500 rpm when the urbo kicked in. Basically a 10 second 1/4 miler. This was all before you could even think about playing with the mapping software. It would seem that fast bikes should be fast and these bikes should be comfortable.

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!