Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

Hey Ultra Kla$$ic

Did I read correctly that your now running a ThunderMax?
Yes I am
When you first started were you using a SERT?
Yes I was

Can I ask what base map that you started with on the ThunderMax,
Base map #392

or are you using Z_Stingray's map?
No sir, at present I'm content with the way my bike runs. I was curiousinitially of the timing differences between the 2 programs, but have sincefound myself extremely satisfied with the maturation of this map with miles.

I would/will revisit optimal fuel management and timing changes via a dyno when I decide what build I'm going with.

I'm not a skeptic, pessimist, nor hypocrit, but FOR ME, I'dwant a WEGO II metering system or I'd learn how to do Data Logging sessions with my SERT if I wanted to manipulate timings without the fear of knocking a hole in one of my pistons. But that's justme cause if anything is gonna happen, it's gonna happen to me[].

Old 08-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Ultra

Thanks for the reply. I am also running the 392 with the ThunderMax, and just not 100% satisfied with the heat off the engine. I am looking for a good slip on to run with my stock pipes that aren't loud but still FREEFLOWING(I had them ceramic coated inside and out) with a black finish and love the looks. 5 minutes after the bike is shut off, I can GRAB my head pipes. The heads are still HOT though. Talked with Zippers and still all readings are within limits, just a little to much heat. I have had other Ultra's with big builds and they didn't seem to run this hot. I know the nature of the 96" is hot since MOCO has to meet EPA requirements. I still think some of the heat has to due with the timming.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UltraKla$$ic,

Was your SERT map built from a dyno tune orisit astock SERT map? Did you notice any detonation or pinging? I wonder if your lack of performance from this map can be attributed the lack of fuel the SERT allowed you to add. Also, did you noticeyour SERT map has far more advanced timing than the TMAT base map? You were running at 43 degrees advance at 2750 rpms - 13 degrees more advance then TMAT base map #393. Heck, if that ran OK, what harm coulda little advance to the TMAT base mapdo?

Old 08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Geezer Glide Bob

Hey Z_Stingray

What map did you start with (I assume you started with a base # map from ThunderMax) and modified the map from there.
I started with base map #393.

Do you miss your D&D FatCat's?
It's give and take for me. I miss the low end torque. I don't miss the single pipe look. I am happier with the lower rumble of the duals.

Do you feel now that you could have tuned in the bike better with the D&D's?
My bike ran really good with the FatCats. I didn't even think about touching the timing. I only adjusted the AFRs (to cool it down at idle and get better gas milage) and the Accel Fuel setting (to reduce decel popping - this was before the latest release of software and firmware).

Do you think the issues that you were having problems with in the 2300 to 3000 range are now solved?
Gone! No problems what so ever. I'll let you know how everything works out after a few hundred miles. So far I've run just over a tank since the last timing adjustment and I'm already getting over 40 mpg where I only got 36-37 with the base map. I'm hoping my milage will continue to improve as the TMAT"tunes in" thefuel with the timing. I'm certain there is more to be had with this thing. It's all a matter of time and effort. I'll stick with whatI haveuntilsomeone posts a recommendation that tempts me so much I have to try it out.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:56 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a Tmax almost a month ago. All I can say is DAMN! Nice.. Rig is running an SE Air Cleaner and Rineharts. Thats it. When first installed, it ran like crap. Still crapped under load under 3k. Then the mechanic threw a new coil on the bike. Voila, she runs like a champ. Using the base map for True Duals. And nothing else. Not sure if this is helpful, but hope it is.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
gibbyair
Cruiser
Default RE: Thunder Max Timing is RETARDED!

This is all over my head. Ive read this entire thread and now more confused. Is the TMax plug and play? I plan on big sucker a/c and Rinehart's true duals. This will be on a 07 ultra. Can I install this and just ride and let the auto tune take over or will I have to advance the timing. The next q is would the cheaper SERT or PC work just as well. The Tmax is so expensive

Thanks

Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gibbyair

Is the TMax plug and play?
Yes... and so was Windows95

Old 08-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Phil,

Windows was plug and play, but I don't think had near as many BUGS/Problems as ThunderMax. I can't talk for DTT though. I would like to hear from someone that has had BOTH on there bike.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:23 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...someone that has\had BOTH on thier bike? I for one dont have that kind of money...maybe one of the dealers that post on here can give you some direction and advice on which they prefered...personally I have the Thundermax...I have not had any problems installing it or running it at all. Its been rather problem\bug free...sorry to hear you are having a different experience...

Old 08-26-2007, 09:06 PM
sleepyjim
Cruiser

So what is the bottom line? I was told and spent almost 700.00 bucks on a unit that will auto tune, but from reading all this it seems a got to do a **** load of tweeking..........THis to me is NOT what was represented before I ordered mine.

Am I wrong/misunderstanding this thread?

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!