Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

Again, the trick and the correct way that I see in doing the conversion from the DTT to the TMax would be to CONVERT the MAP(kPa) positions from the DTT program to TPS that the TMax uses and THEN, apply them to the TMax for timings in the correct TPS vs. RPM. Anything less would be a dangerous application of timing from one program to the next, hence my initial reply. To me the current method is nothing but a hodge podge of guessing with application.

I'm not ******* anybody, and I commend your efforts, but if it would be this easy, I would have already used the timings from my SERT program and applied them to the TMax.................which again, I'm not saying cannot be done, but the conversion would have to be made.
I didn't exactly guess at this. I did quite a bit of research before I felt comfortable advancing the timing. Again, I based my timing values off of this...

http://www.head-quarters.com/html/efi_i_tuning.html

I even used lesser values to reduce any risk. When I initally started and ran the bike I was looking for anything to shut it down. But, as I ran it farther and farther I learned that my "guess" wasn't going to harm anything. Remember, I didn't just jump right up to these values. I gradually increased them over a period of four steps. I used the recommended maps as a threshold that I might be able to get to. So, I wouldn't call it a guess. More of a practice of trial and error. And, because I was so cautious I had more trial than error. My only negative experience was a little pre-detonation. It sounds like chirping right under the tank. I'm sure that didn't hurt anything compared to others experiencing the agressive pinging.

Give it a shot and let us know how your bike responds. I'm interested in what others learn / do from this so I may consider applying any positive results.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:14 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpikeCT

Ok roughly speaking its relationship is approximately like this!
16 in-Hg = 2% Throttle
18 in-Hg = 5% Throttle
20 in-Hg = 10% Throttle
22 in-Hg = 20% Throttle
24 in-HG = 40% Throttle
26 in-Hg = 60% Throttle
28 in-Hg = 80% Throttle
30 in-Hg = 100% Throttle
This is very helpful, but don't TMax users have to relate throttle % to throttle degrees? Where 0% throttle = 11 degrees of throttle position and 100% throttle = 88 degrees of throttle position

Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer

So if we scale 11 to 88 then we end up with....

16 in-Hg = 11% Throttle
18 in-Hg = 22% Throttle
20 in-Hg = 33% Throttle
22 in-Hg = 44% Throttle
24 in-Hg = 55% Throttle
26 in-Hg = 66% Throttle
28 in-Hg = 77% Throttle
30 in-Hg = 88% Throttle

At least that's how the math works out.

With this correlation, here is a direct timing conversion from DTT to Tmax. Notice the change ticks aren't that different from the latest change I made to this map. I'll try to load this map, give it a run, and report the results tomorrow.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:30 AM
kdietz
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Z_Stingray

So if we scale 11 to 88 then we end up with....

16 in-Hg = 11% Throttle
18 in-Hg = 22% Throttle
20 in-Hg = 33% Throttle
22 in-Hg = 44% Throttle
24 in-Hg = 55% Throttle
26 in-Hg = 66% Throttle
28 in-Hg = 77% Throttle
30 in-Hg = 88% Throttle

At least that's how the math works out.

With this correlation, here is a direct timing conversion from DTT to Tmax. Notice the change ticks aren't that different from the latest change I made to this map. I'll try to load this map, give it a run, and report the results tomorrow.

My math came out different, but here's my take:

16 in-Hg = 2% Throttle = 12.54 degrees
18 in-Hg = 5% Throttle = 14.85 degrees
20 in-Hg = 10% Throttle = 18.70 degrees
22 in-Hg = 20% Throttle = 26.40 degrees
24 in-HG = 40% Throttle = 34.10 degrees
26 in-Hg = 60% Throttle = 57.2 degrees
28 in-Hg = 80% Throttle = 72.60 degrees
30 in-Hg = 100% Throttle = 88 degrees

Assuming that this is correct, my TMax timing tables are actually a little more aggressive than the DTT map...which makes sense because I'm running less compression and can handle more timing

We also need to realize that the DTT table from the HQ site is for a 95" BB, 10.5cr, HQ0039 (probably) build....

Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 AM
sleepyjim
Cruiser

Hey can someone speak english dang it!

LMFAO dam I just ordered my Tmax and see now that I will need to actually read the directions!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:13 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilM

That being Alpha N vs. Speed Density, otherwise our communication ain't jiving. I left our last conversation in the past thread scratching my head because if the DTT uses MAP, then it "should be" Speed Density according to the exerpt..

Darren.....
Let me try again... I was trying to answer that, but I probably strayed in my rambling.

The DTT does NOT use MAP for fuel delivery calcualtions. It it did, it would be a Speed Density device.
The DTT does read MAP and use it, in relation to RPM to manage TIMING.

The terms "Speed Density" and "Alpha-N" are used to describe fuel delivery systems (injector pulse width and spray intervals).

While ignition timing (when plugs fire)is part of the overall equasion and the controllers are housed in a common box, it is a totally separate control system thanthe fuel delivery system. DTT uses MAP for ingnition timing only - NOT fuel delivery. That does not make it a Speed Density system.

Sorry if my other post was unclear or ambiguous.
Phil, I owe you an apology as I was tired last night in my response. You DID say this in our last post, but I really didn't grasp the concept until reading it again in this thread. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it again. I really hope my message is/was being conveyed as me trying to learn this and that I am by no means attempting to reply in an arrogant fashion.

Back to the conversation at hand. If I could convert my timingsin my SERT program to apply to my TMax, I'd give it a try as well.

At work right now so back later.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Z_Stingray
Tourer

ORIGINAL: kdietz
My math came out different, but here's my take:

16 in-Hg = 2% Throttle = 12.54 degrees
18 in-Hg = 5% Throttle = 14.85 degrees
20 in-Hg = 10% Throttle = 18.70 degrees
22 in-Hg = 20% Throttle = 26.40 degrees
24 in-HG = 40% Throttle = 34.10 degrees
26 in-Hg = 60% Throttle = 57.2 degrees
28 in-Hg = 80% Throttle = 72.60 degrees
30 in-Hg = 100% Throttle = 88 degrees
That's right. I treated 16 in-Hg as zero so all of the numbers would come out in increments of 11. It's much easier. This would only have the effect of retarding the timing a fraction by moving the top-left of the curve back a tick. It shouldn't even be noticable.

We also need to realize that the DTT table from the HQ site is for a 95" BB, 10.5cr, HQ0039 (probably) build....
The values I used to build my lastest timing map came from the DTT software (picture embedded in a previous post in this thread) not the HQ site. I believe the DTT base map will accommodate a TC96 with no mods (other than stage 1).

Assuming that this is correct, my TMax timing tables are actually a little more aggressive than the DTT map...which makes sense because I'm running less compression and can handle more timing
Where did you get your timing tables? How were your timing tables developed? Would you post them for comparison? Are you sure your build is that much different as far as compression goes?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Z_Stingray

Again, the trick and the correct way that I see in doing the conversion from the DTT to the TMax would be to CONVERT the MAP(kPa) positions from the DTT program to TPS that the TMax uses and THEN, apply them to the TMax for timings in the correct TPS vs. RPM. Anything less would be a dangerous application of timing from one program to the next, hence my initial reply. To me the current method is nothing but a hodge podge of guessing with application.

I'm not ******* anybody, and I commend your efforts, but if it would be this easy, I would have already used the timings from my SERT program and applied them to the TMax.................which again, I'm not saying cannot be done, but the conversion would have to be made.
I didn't exactly guess at this. I did quite a bit of research before I felt comfortable advancing the timing. Again, I based my timing values off of this...

http://www.head-quarters.com/html/efi_i_tuning.html

I even used lesser values to reduce any risk. When I initally started and ran the bike I was looking for anything to shut it down. But, as I ran it farther and farther I learned that my "guess" wasn't going to harm anything. Remember, I didn't just jump right up to these values. I gradually increased them over a period of four steps. I used the recommended maps as a threshold that I might be able to get to. So, I wouldn't call it a guess. More of a practice of trial and error. And, because I was so cautious I had more trial than error. My only negative experience was a little pre-detonation. It sounds like chirping right under the tank. I'm sure that didn't hurt anything compared to others experiencing the agressive pinging.

Give it a shot and let us know how your bike responds. I'm interested in what others learn / do from this so I may consider applying any positive results.
Were your timing tables from THUNDERMAX more retarded than the HEADQUARTERS site ??? After tinkering....where are your tables in relation to the HEADQUARTERS ones ??? Thanks .

Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
kdietz
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: sleepyjim

Hey can someone speak english dang it!

LMFAO dam I just ordered my Tmax and see now that I will need to actually read the directions!
No Worries Jim.....the TMax is a simple plug and play for great results or you can keep playing with it if you're a little more **** like the rest of us

I tend to fix stuff until it breaks

Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Z_Stingray
Tourer

If I could convert my timingsin my SERT program to apply to my TMax, I'd give it a try as well.
Was your SERT map custom developed by a dyno tuner? Can you post your SERT values? There has been much confusion as to why the 07 SERT timing maps are much more retarded than previous years (as posted on v-twinforums). SERT users noticed this on the base maps provided with the SERT. I certainly don't understand it. I can only assume that HD has the timing so retarded to pass emissions.

We should ge able to correlate your SERT values to Tmax TPS within a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!