Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:05 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!

Z Stingray... load your map under Karl's recommendation. The bike runs strong and the fuel mileage is running around 40-41mpg, it is also cooler. The only thing I can say is it does not have good WOT around 3000rpm, but if you roll slightly on from then it pulls awesome. I did have pinging but it went away within a few days.

Great job.. Thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Han
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hereby my comparison of ThunderMax Base & Tuned maps (still in progress).
I can't upload the Excel file so I made some SnagIt's.
Comments & suggestions are welcome!

Han

[IMG]local://upfiles/33084/4C07FE73B44647F8BB3CB6E821CF2894.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33084/F960C62544AF4698937C9140D5E6917C.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33084/B7D79100A6204FD8B97674F468A99F5C.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33084/856C303495374FAC99785090CEFDA3B9.gif[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Han
1st Gear

see pictures in previous mail (now .gif)

Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The image quality for something like that is a whole lot better if you save them initially as GIF files; the text will remain very sharp and clear and the file size will be less as a bonus. Don't bother changing the .jpgs to .gifs now though, the damage to the text/detail is done. JPG is for photographs and GIF is for stuff like you uploaded.

Another trick you can do is take the .xls files and add .txt to the end of the name. You'll be able to upload them here then.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Han
1st Gear

Glens,

thanks for the tips.
I replaced the .jpg's by .gif's, quality is the same but size is only 20%.
Hereby the Excel file as .txt.
Change the extension to .xls after downloading

Han

Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Max Timing is RETARDED!

ORIGINAL: sleepyjim
So what is the bottom line? I was told and spent almost 700.00 bucks on a unit that will auto tune, but from reading all this it seems a got to do a **** load of tweeking..........THis to me is NOT what was represented before I ordered mine.
Am I wrong/misunderstanding this thread?
Yes, I believe that you are misunderstanding this thread.

A brief analogy:

Microsoft Windows (insert your favorite flavor here) is/was advertised as plug-n-play,
and for most installations it is/was. You inserted the CD/DVD, ran the setup routine
and it installed a functioning Windows operating system on 99.99% of all PC's on the 1st try.

For the vast majority of Windows users - this level of installation is all that is needed or desired.
BUT if one desires the absolute maximum performance and security from their Windows installation,
there are literally THOUSANDS of registry tweaks to be made, which are best left alone by the
casual or non-technical Windows user.

Zippers Thundermax w/Autotune is also advertised as plug-n-play, and for most installations it is.
You install the new ECM, load the closest basemap, and ride a few hundred miles to let the Autotune function work.
In 99% of installations, the bike will run much cooler, smoother and more powerfully than the stock ECM.

For the vast majority of TM/AT users - this level of installation is all that is needed or desired.
The bike runs cooler, and no longer stumbles, stalls, or surges. BUT if one desires the absolute
maximum performance from their TM/AT installation, there are many tweaks that can be made
to the basemap to increase performance and/or fuel economy. (the subject of this thread)

NO, you don't have to be a tuning guru to install and enjoy what the TM/AT unit can do for you.
IF what you want is a much better running bike, then just install your TMax and marvel at the technology.
IF what you want is to go beyond the Zippers base map tuning, then this thread is a good place to begin your education.
IF what you want is to extract every available HP and LB/FT from your bike then TMax may not be your solution.

Just so you know, I'm not a BS artist or talking out my a$$ here.
I was one of the earliest adopters of the TM/AT system.
I have had it installed and running for nearly a year now and for 12K miles.
Back when I first got mine, there were only 80+ basemaps available compared to 400+ today.

My .02 worth.

06FXDBI-

Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow GREAT information! you guys ROCK! Hey how did you export that data to excel????

Old 09-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Han
1st Gear

To what I know there's no export possibility in SmartLink, so it has to be done manually.
I loaded the maps I found in the various threads, opened the AFR and Ignition Timing maps for 1024, 2048, 3072, 4096, 5120 and 6144 rpm, clicked on the 7 TPS positions, pushed the spacebar to see the values and typed these in Excel.
It's a lot of workbut I try to learn from the various maps to find the optimal map for my bike-air cleaner-exhaust system combination and riding style.
What worries me most at this time is the mileage as we pay 1.40 euro per liter = $ 7.26 per gallon inThe Netherlands (mostly taxes)!
Of course I want tokeep the good performance (I rode several fast Japanese bikes and a 1200cc Sportster before)

It's bedtime here, we're ahead of you at 0.30 AM at this sad day for the US (and the whole world).

Han

Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Han

I replaced the .jpg's by .gif's, quality is the same but size is only 20%.
No way is the quality the same. Enlarge a copy of each file type and look at the detail around the text. The GIF format perfectly preserves that fine detail (since it's a bitmapped screen image) while the JPEG averages near areas together (which is perfect for photographs) and muddies things up.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 AM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Han,

I really appreciate the hard work yo uput into gathering this information. It will come in VERY handy...actually my neighbor has the same bike and setup for the big radius map that is listed there I will be tweaking his map this weekend! Thanks again!

Dan aka Parakiller

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Timing is RETARDED!