Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trust in your ride??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Major Bill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trust in your ride??

Too bad about your problems... I think most though have little or no problems.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my Glide new in April of 2005 and I now have over 31,000 trouble-free miles on her. She has seen 15 states and I would not hesitate to take off for the West Coast today (if only I had the time). My '07 Springer Classic is trouble-free so far.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

trust with vehicles, like people, is earned. My 04 tacoma, 40k, never a problem, nothing...perfect. My 07 FLSTC, 11k miles, no problem, nothing at all...so both of these, have my complete trust until they prove different to me.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:20 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

13k so far and nary a hiccup from it, I would not hesitate tocheck air and fluidsand ride as far as time allowed and if something did cause me to pull to the side of the road I would deal with it, it is a machine and they are apt to have a problem sometime, I just enjoy the ride. Keep after your problem and you will find it then you can enjoy the ride again.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

32,000 miles on 03 Heritage Softail carbed w/ Stage II.

31,000 miles on 06 Ultra EFI w/ Stage II.

Each has done two round trips on the Alaska Highway to Sturgis and back in all kinds of weather.

Cracked the oil cooler on the Ultra on the last trip and bypassed it with 12 inches of fuel hose. Down time 45 minutes. Most of that was waiting for the engine to cool so we could work on it.

They both get regular maintenance and I would ride them most anywhere, and have.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Jason Hedrick
Intermediate

I have over 32,000 miles on my 05 road king, two trips to Florida, and daily driver. Nothing but fluids, rubber, and plugs with scheduled maintenance.. The only time my tool kit has been out is when it's been used for other rider's bikes.What's not to trust? Guess I got a good one.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Trust your ride?........ These topics are hilarious! & some of the replies are even more hilarious. You "trust" people, you just ride motorcycles.

In fourty plus years of riding I've had motorcycles that worked flawlessly from start to finish, & motorcycles that stopped suddenly. It's a machine. Learn about it, it'll make your life a lot easier. There's no magic in there, it's just machinery. There's a problem somewhere, & the sooner you get serious, find the problem & repair it, the sooner you'll enjoy your ride. Don't know if you'll "trust" it.................

Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Taked to the dealer this morning. They are treating me as tho I am still within the 100% coverage 90 day window of purchase (even tho it is past the 90 days). Gotta love that, especially after all the "Dealer Horror" stories you read about on here.

They looked up my VIN, and found where there had been two recalls for bad circuit breakers. Brought it in, and they swapped it out. The tech that worked on it (who has a pretty good reputation amongst riders in this area) said that it's His opinion, that my problems are directly related to that circuit breaker.

After taking off the old one, he shook it, and you could hear junk in there rattling around.

Hopefully this solves the problem.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

did it fix it ?

weet

Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I both trust my bike and trust in my ability to fix most anything short of a major mechanical breakdown. I carry enough tools (a Windzone tool kit with a few added items) to get me going, in most cases.

I had some issues with my 86 FXRS, but was able to fix them while on the road and get back home. On was a wiring issue 800 miles from home. The bike wouldn't start. Then I remembered it didn't click when I hit the switch. I was able to find out the problem and fix it within 15 minutes. The ground wire for the starter relay pulled out of the connector.

Another was a major oil leak and a knock, also on the FXRS. I found one lifter block had the bolts back and and it was loose. I tightened up the two outer bolts, the knock and the oil leak stopped and I made it the last 40 miles home, after I added some oil. I pulled everything apart and found everything OK. I just replaced the gaskets and put more miles on her...

They were both no big deal. Just don't freak out when you have a problem and think through the solution.... Also, acell phone and a credit card are always great back-ups.

YMMV.

Quick Reply: Trust in your ride??