Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trust in your ride??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:27 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Trust in your ride??

ORIGINAL: dynageezer

Generally speaking, cycles are not as reliable as cars. But that shouldn't intimidate you from cutting loose and taking off on one. In the unlikely event that it strands you, you will figure something out and get through it. I once had a Suzuki 1100 that was pretty well worn out at 40,000. When I took off on my annual pilgrimage to Colorado, I just took the title with me. I decided that if it went down, I was going to cut the best deal I could and buy a bus ticket home. Always made it back.
Lol....that would be an option, if I could sell it for what I owe on it!!!

Went to and from work today (30 miles total) incident free, and on the ride home, its was hotter than hell. Gonna get under the seat, and find the starter relay part number. Gonna replace it. If that isn't the problem, its only like 9 bux, and at least I will have eliminated that as a problem.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 12,700 miles on my Street Glide and if I had the time and the money I would head out and ride from ocean to ocean! I have never doubted it yet.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 08-20-2007, 08:02 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

Well I read this thread earlier today. I decided to take the EG to return some movies at Blockbuster. When leaving the parking lot I noticed that the forward bolt on the shifter linkage attaching the shifter lever was broken! Luckily, I happened to have some zip ties to get me home.

Maybe this is one of those threads where if you don't respond something bad happens?

But seriously, I bought my '05 last September with 3K and now have 15,000 miles. Never had anything go wrong on it what so ever. Until this small problem tonight. I would ride it anywhere and am riding down to Knoxville from Va Beach on Wednesday for the rally.

Good luck with your scoots and enjoy!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Newhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mwriggs

Ive often wondered the same thing. This is my first Harley, and Ive heard so many stories like" you better carry tools etc"..... Mine had 17,000 when I bought it, and I have put 6000 more on it, however I had the camshaft bearing failure, and the low oil pressure issue, both of which have been fixed. It does have a bit of decel popping and occasionally when I blip the throttle, it hiccups (didnt think an EFI would do that), and I must admit, Im a little leary of traveling with it. I am making a 300 mile one way trip this weekend, and Im crossing my fingers.You can get a lemon with anything I know, but it does aggravate me to think, this is my "fun thing" and it might give me trouble...
Is it stock or do you have PCIII on it? That hickup is indicative of the Power Commander. Nothing wrong with it other than annoying as heck.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dynageezer

Generally speaking, cycles are not as reliable as cars.
Man, I hope that isn't true. I have had my bike for a year. Not a single problem. I would trust it over any car/truck I have ever bought. So far, I can say that this bike is the only thing with a motor that I am not worried about. I must be in the lemonade business, with all of the vehicles I have owned over the years. Every one of them has left me stranded, at some point. And yes, the maintainance is always kept up to date. I did have a Ford Ranger that I owned in my single and childless days that was reliable, but that was it. I bet I would still have that truck, if I had had a spot for a car seat.[:@]

Old 08-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '07 RK Classic has been in the shop for a week plus... This is the 2nd time for an intermittent 'cut-out' problem... It either won't start or dies on the road like it's out of gas... At full throttle or at idle... They've decided (with consult at the moco) that it needs an ECM Flash and a new start/stop switch... Said switch of course being on backorder as of last Friday...

The dealer's mechanic isn't sure that it's what is wrong and told me flat out he wouldn't trust it. He's going to put about 100 miles on her to test out the fix. He said he'd rather be on the side of the road than have me there...

Do I trust my HD? I did. When the mechanic won't? Kinda hard to... No place to pull over on the bay bridge if it dies!

I have hopes though!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:03 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

Not entirely sure that I would agree that bikes are not reliable as cars, unless my experiences are coming from opposite ends of the "average" spectrum.

I bought a crotch rocket new in 88. (Kawasaki Ninaj 600). Rode it all over Germany and the central US, before shipping it back to Germany again.

In 3 yrs, I put about 52000 on that bike (guessing, as the speedo cable broke at about 47000). All I ever did to that bike was change oil and tires. It never did see a recommended servicing, and other than to have aftermarket pipes installed, it never went back to a dealer.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 AM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 38,000 trouble free miles on my ElectraGlide and would not hesitate to get on it and go anywhere. It's a good motorcycle and I have complete trust in it.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

[:@] Did it again on the ride in. Just lost fire. Lasted all of about 5-7 seconds (coasting at the time...luckily, it hasnt happened at a light...again).

Fire came back, went the remaining 2 blocks to work. Parked, shut it off, and it fired right back up like nothing had ever happened.

Gonna shoot some WD-40 in and around the kill switch, as the bike DID get rained on a few days ago, and there could be some water in there. Also, gonna swap or replace the starter relay. Might as well do some trouble shooting myself.

You know how it goes. Intermittent problems NEVER reveal themselves while the Mechanic is riding your bike !!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

ORIGINAL: Newhog

ORIGINAL: mwriggs

Ive often wondered the same thing. This is my first Harley, and Ive heard so many stories like" you better carry tools etc"..... Mine had 17,000 when I bought it, and I have put 6000 more on it, however I had the camshaft bearing failure, and the low oil pressure issue, both of which have been fixed. It does have a bit of decel popping and occasionally when I blip the throttle, it hiccups (didnt think an EFI would do that), and I must admit, Im a little leary of traveling with it. I am making a 300 mile one way trip this weekend, and Im crossing my fingers.You can get a lemon with anything I know, but it does aggravate me to think, this is my "fun thing" and it might give me trouble...

Is it stock or do you have PCIII on it? That hickup is indicative of the Power Commander. Nothing wrong with it other than annoying as heck.
say what? never heard that before, and never experienced it either. got 2 bikes with pciiis on them and have yet to experience any 'hiccup' from them.

Quick Reply: Trust in your ride??