Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trust in your ride??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:53 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Trust in your ride??

Can't say I totally trust my self built Evo chopper, having to haul it home on several occaisons over the last 12 years, the problems have always been minor. When I ride over 100 mi from home now I carry a masterlink, my old points setupand a few tools. Haven't had any electrical problems since I switched from gel cell to lead acid batt and Dyna S module. Mechanically it seems to be sound and if I ride regularly it is reliable. With everything ridgid it is definetely a bar hopper I ride to regional runs only. 250 mi is about all the fun I can handle in a day. Joy rides of 50-100mi are the norm. Must have most of the bugs out of it, haven't had a failure in the past several years[sm=smiley33.gif]!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

over 20k on my 07 EGC. other than an isolated idle prob now and then no issues.anyone heard of a cure for the occasional low idle???

Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My '05 Electra Glide Classic is going to be turning 60,000 miles this week. No probs at all, it's a wonderful bike. I would hop on it now and go to NY and back without blinking.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:03 AM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I trust mine. When you buy used, things are going to wear out. The more electronics we have, the more likely for problems to occurr. Your problems sound like what I had when the Engine Temp sensor went bad. It's $34 and it goes in in about 5 minutes.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I trust my ride. If you're buying used, you need to ask for the maintenance records or ask the guy if there's been problems. They won't usually volunteer information like that trying to sell you something.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:12 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Mmm, let's see, I have an 18 yr old Electraglide that no dealer will offer service on and I can't getsome critical parts from a dealer anymore... Do I trust it? Hell yes I do!

After buying it as a broken POS and stripping it to the frame and redoing almost everything on it in my garage, I know it inside and out and can deal with anything that happens to it. And sure, I've been down on the side of the road (nothing major, just bullshit that got loose from vibration, etc.), but I've always had my tools, supplies and factory manauals and have always repaired it, and kept riding on.

If I had to choose between an 18 yr old Evo with a Carb, and an 8 yr old Twinkie with FI, I'll take the old Carbed EVO everytime and defintitly TWICE on Sunday (when even all the independent shops are closed! ).

All the new fangled **** is great when the bike is new and under warranty and it can (and will be) rolled up to thedealer to get repaired or traded in after 3 yrs for a new one... But as far as owning an older bike with FI, Cam Chains, Cam support plates, out of true crankshaftsand all the otherBS, no thanks, I'll pass and keep on Riding...

Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Love my Evo and my S&S E carbtoo.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:13 AM
acedantinne
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, Your talking Harley! If it was perfect! it would be a?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Hoss1960
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you are having these issues. I've put over 10K in the last few months and it have been very trustworthy

Old 08-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

Generally speaking, cycles are not as reliable as cars. But that shouldn't intimidate you from cutting loose and taking off on one. In the unlikely event that it strands you, you will figure something out and get through it. I once had a Suzuki 1100 that was pretty well worn out at 40,000. When I took off on my annual pilgrimage to Colorado, I just took the title with me. I decided that if it went down, I was going to cut the best deal I could and buy a bus ticket home. Always made it back.

Quick Reply: Trust in your ride??