Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting my lowers/tourpak

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:22 PM
HilllBillly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting my lowers/tourpak

Anyone ever paint a set of lowers or a tourpak -- how did it turn out?
I have a white set that i want to have painted black

Old 08-19-2007, 02:39 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: painting my lowers/tourpak

Just get the right color paint... There's like 100's of different color BLACKS... and the HD Paint isn't cheap...

I bought paint to do a TourPak that I bought from a friend... Orange ended up being a 3 stage paint... Cost of the paint alone $268.00

Old 08-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

PPG paint code for vivid black is 9850. If you go to the PPG website you can locate the paint and you will see it is available in different types of paint. You can also order HD paint from Zanotti's, Chicago HD, etc. and get 20% off. HD paint requires an activator that is sold seperately, so if you order the HD paint be sure the parts guy also orders the activator for you--my parts guy was clueless so after waiting a week for the paint, I waited another week for the activator.

I am the world's worst painter, so I wouldn't try to do it myself. I did buy a King TP, dissassembled it completelyand took it to a fine auto painter who did a great job shooting the box for me. I supplied the paint and am very pleased with the quality of the paint job.

Unless you get a really, really good deal on the TP and lowers, and/or can do the painting yourself, I don't think the savings are all that great compared to buying new TP and fairing lowers from a 20% off list HD dealer, or buying them used and undamaged in the correct color to begin with. JMHO.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
HilllBillly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info... I'm painting the whole bike.... right now its glacier white and i got a sweet deal on it because i didnt care what color i bought since i knew i wanted to paint it black (with no pinstriping)..... but i was concerned w/ how all the edges and hinges would turn out on the tourpak and lowers since the tank and tins are pretty basic

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

PPG paint code for vivid black is 9850. If you go to the PPG website you can locate the paint and you will see it is available in different types of paint. You can also order HD paint from Zanotti's, Chicago HD, etc. and get 20% off. HD paint requires an activator that is sold seperately, so if you order the HD paint be sure the parts guy also orders the activator for you--my parts guy was clueless so after waiting a week for the paint, I waited another week for the activator.

I am the world's worst painter, so I wouldn't try to do it myself. I did buy a King TP, dissassembled it completelyand took it to a fine auto painter who did a great job shooting the box for me. I supplied the paint and am very pleased with the quality of the paint job.

Unless you get a really, really good deal on the TP and lowers, and/or can do the painting yourself, I don't think the savings are all that great compared to buying new TP and fairing lowers from a 20% off list HD dealer, or buying them used and undamaged in the correct color to begin with. JMHO.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Good luck with the re-paint; it'll be sharp. The TP is best painted dissassembled which is not hard to do yourself. The hinges will need to be reattached with rivets, and a new gasket for the lid installed. I had a HD dealer do the rivets since I didn't have the tools. The latch hardware is screws/bolts.