Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which 2-1 pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:20 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Default which 2-1 pipe

Gotta wait til September for the SERT for the 08's, but I am probably going to go with a 2-1 pipe along with an AN Big Sucker for now on the new ride. Which 2-1 should I go with? I hear Thunderheader is supposed to be the best, but everyone says it's a dirty pipe??

Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: which 2-1 pipe

I'm looking at another Thunderheader for my SG after my Heads are installed.. I haven't seen nearly as many onthis forum eindorse Thunderheaders as other 2-1 pipes, typically putting Fatcats and Supertrapps and other if front of the venerable TH.Other forums are more TH oriendted. Many will say the TH isn't as advanced as newermodel 2-1's withstepped headers.I had a Fatcat on my SG. It was before my Heads, so might be a moot ponit, but didn't care for the sound or performance, plus it's almost too chunky looking and does generate quite a lot more heat. I had a Thunderheader on my high compression Fatboy. I don't know of anything that has ever sounded or performed better properly tuned. Looks are totally subjective. Ask the guys on the west coast and they hardly know there is another 2-1 option I agree they aren't as pristine in appearance as others, particularly the Fatcat, but they have a certain "look" that I think is very cool. There is no mistaking it. The only place I had to keep clean with right at the front of the end cap where carbon would build up. A swipe there with some Mothers polish and it was gone. I also think black is cool look for TH, but I think it needs the heat shields to fill out the pipe for the proper look. That is a down side. Heat shields cost extra for TH's, and for the chrome on for sure they are necessary.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:47 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brad..........I've had 3 2-1 systems on my bike, and by far the best one is the Fatcat 2-1.

The Thunderheader is poorly made, heatshields look like crap, the rear of the muffler is always black&sooty, and it will turn gold/blue over time. Not to mention they have a nasty low-end torque dip if left stock, it is curable with some baffle mods.

The Supertrapp 2-1 is a good pipe, but with the closed endcap it was too quiet and made a "phfft" sound that I couldn't get used to. With the open endcap it was too tinny and blatty. There are also problems with the tranny mount clamp breaking, it's fixable with a better clamp.

The Fatcat is by far superior in build quality, great heatsheilds, built in flanges, it has equal length header pipes that are a stepped design for a fully tuned system. With the quiet baffle installed it makes a great sound at idle and cruising and will still bark when you twist the wick. They are very well known to produce the best power numbers, and they are ready for your o2 sensors.

Skip the SERT.........go with the Thundermax or DTT system. If you are going to leave this motor stock, go with the Thundermax. If you are going to do motor work, go with the DTT system.

Steve

Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

Brad..........I've had 3 2-1 systems on my bike, and by far the best one is the Fatcat 2-1.

The Thunderheader is poorly made, heatshields look like crap, the rear of the muffler is always black&sooty, and it will turn gold/blue over time. Not to mention they have a nasty low-end torque dip if left stock, it is curable with some baffle mods.

The Supertrapp 2-1 is a good pipe, but with the closed endcap it was too quiet and made a "phfft" sound that I couldn't get used to. With the open endcap it was too tinny and blatty. There are also problems with the tranny mount clamp breaking, it's fixable with a better clamp.

The Fatcat is by far superior in build quality, great heatsheilds, built in flanges, it has equal length header pipes that are a stepped design for a fully tuned system. With the quiet baffle installed it makes a great sound at idle and cruising and will still bark when you twist the wick. They are very well known to produce the best power numbers, and they are ready for your o2 sensors.

Skip the SERT.........go with the Thundermax or DTT system. If you are going to leave this motor stock, go with the Thundermax. If you are going to do motor work, go with the DTT system.

Steve
Well theres your first opinion Brad. I would not agree that the TH is poorly made, the muffler is definitely not always black and sooty, (unless you never wipe it clean on occasion), and my TH never turned gold and blue over time anymore than any other pipe that isn't covered by heat shields. I will agree the heat shields aren't as true fitting as the Fatcat, and also agree there isn't a better fit and finish on any pipeI've ever seen orowned. That doesn't change my opinion that I didn't like the sound or "feel" of the pipe as much as the TH. True, there is some torque dip that is easily tuned with the bending of the baffle flaps during any dyno tune.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My $.02 worth, Fatcat is a good pipe, along with the SuperTrapp. Both are good pipes. If your interested on the classified section I have a set of 2:1 SuperTrapp SuperMeg for sale with an open end cap that made them louder, but still liveable. I went back to the stock exhaust (do some mods to them). Either way you can't go wrong.

Bob

Old 08-19-2007, 09:31 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brad..... That's a sweet look'n new ride!

I agree w/Steve.

I've had several 2into1's (FatCat(s), ProPipe(s), ThunderHeader, & WhiteBros E-Series).

To me, the ThunderHeader had the most "traditional" sound. The performance was mediocre. It has a inherrent low RPM dip that some report to have "resolved" by either bending the tabs in the cone or welding washers in the end of it. Quality of manufacture is also medioce. ALL the chrome ones blue and rust very quickly.

It's no secret that I like the FatCat. No other pipe (at least that I've used) has anywhere close to the low-end performance. Sound is a subjective thing. The FatCat has a very "racey" sound. "I" like it. Quality of manufacture..... nobody can touch it - PERIOD. In addition to the machining, welds, fit, etc... the chrome will NOT blue. If it did, they will replace it.

The old WhiteBros E-Series (very similar to SuperTrapp SuperMeg) was a GREAT performer, but the quality and fit were ****.

ProPipe has a cult like following. It has a decent sound and looks OK. Performace is better than stock, but nothing like FatCat or E-Series/SuperMeg.

Happy Piping!
[8D]

Old 08-19-2007, 09:40 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

My Thunderheader never rusted after 23K thousand miles.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:08 AM
monkish
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can see the gold/blue in my pic. the heat shields are kinda goofy as you can see the pipe clamps behind them. but i also have tie wraps clearly visable on my bike from the factory so no big deal to me. i am considering getting mine powder coated black and doing away with the heat shields. i love the sound and am happy with the performance. my wifes bike dynoed out with 2 more horsepower and a little bit better torqe and she has a REINHARDT 2/1 but my butt is not sensitive enough to tell a difference. i run a SERT andBIGSUCKERon both bikes and have a very good dyno man at my local HD just 2 minuets from the house.

(i may try a fat cat when i go to the UGLY CLUB (RG) as the trap has been set and it's just a matter of time)[sm=exactly.gif]

is it the right pipe for you? not sure on that but good luck with your choice.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20286/13DCBC203ADE435F9104C95B484E5F43.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20286/AA536A5DEB6D41F78CC2AC4B603C1935.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 PM
AZ HARLEY
Cruiser

I have a Rinehart 2-into1 on my SG.Fit and finish are top notch,sounds awesome!very simalar to my buddy's V&H Pro-pipe.
My last bike was an '07 RKC with S.E. air,HD Stage I download,and SE slip-on mufflers.The SG with a K&N,PCIII, and the 2-into-1 feels much stronger.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Roofuss96
Road Captain

Had a Bassani Road Rage {for baggers } on my '02 E-Glide with a 95" motor , and loved it . The heat shields can be a major pita , tho !

Quick Reply: which 2-1 pipe